My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sufism, Rumi and freemasonry

zouzoum

Does anymore study about sufism and have an idea about rumi's teachings ? Is it part of the mystical stuff some brothers might go for ?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Roy_

I can recommend the works of Seyyed Hossein Nasr, a contemporary Traditionalist, Muslim and Sufi.
Here is an essay about Sufism. Here you can download his biography also with chapters about Sufism.

I know a Freemason who likes to visit Sufis too.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
Does anymore study about sufism and have an idea about rumi's teachings ? Is it part of the mystical stuff some brothers might go for ?
Yep. I once delivered a paper to my lodge during the GM's visit on this very subject, the similarities between certain Masonic principals and those of various chivalric orders, including Sufism. "The Way of Sufi Chivalry", by Ibn al-Husayn al-Sulami, is an interesting read. For the Sufi, the aim is to "perfect" one's self, spiritually. As explained by al-Sulami, this involves a certain amount of selfless service to others, among other pursuits. Western European chivalric orders, even Bushido, have many similar tenets. So yeah, the Mason who's looking to refine his Ashlar will find much that resonates in studying any of these.