My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symbols of Royal Arch Masonry - Part 2

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Continuing on from Part 1 of Royal Arch symbols, I will finish this set off.

Banners of the Master of the Veils

In Royal Arch Masonry, a particular significant symbol are the banners. It is important to note that there is a difference between American Royal Arch Masonry and British Royal Arch Masonry in the number of banners used. In England, there are 12, but in America there are only 4 banners displayed. Regardless of their used numbers, these banners are to represent the 12 tribes of Israel. Here we will pay attention to the American Four.

The colors of these four banners are Blue, Purple, Scarlet, and White representing the tribes of Judah, Ephraim, Reuben, and Dan. The devices attached to these four banners, respective to their colors are: an eagle, a man, an ox, and a lion. According to the Masonic Leader blog, "But as to what were the devices on the banners, or what were their various colors, the Bible is absolutely silent. To the inventive genius of the Talmudists are we indebted for all that we know or profess to know on this subject." These four banners are filled with many meaning.

READ MORE
I'm researching more and more of the American used banners and why those sigils are used. The early stage of my research point to the Good Book in the 1st Chapter of Ezekial:

5 - Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man.
6 - And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings.
7 - And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf's foot: and they sparkled like the colour of burnished brass.
8 - And they had the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides; and they four had their faces and their wings.
9 - Their wings were joined one to another; they turned not when they went; they went every one straight forward.
10 - As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.

I've also talked with some about the correspondence with them and the Gospels; Matt = Lion, Mark = Ox, Luke = Man, and John = Eagle.