My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Past Master Apron Rules

Mac

Premium Member
Okay, I've reviewed the law book and I'm still confused.

What exactly is technically "allowed" on a PM's apron in Texas?

Blue trim, and a quadrant and compass PM emblem, and that's it?

I ask because I'm gratefully retiring from the East in the Summer. However, when I sit various Lodges I've seen a number of shiny, ornate, well-decorated aprons that are apparently illegal. ;)

Mac

Premium Member
It's been a great year, just very busy! We've had an insanely active year, but I'm also full time student. Looking forward to stepping down so that I can "relax" a little more during my last year in school. Once I cross the stage, I think my family and I are taking a nice, long, overdue vacation. ;)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
It's been a great year, just very busy! We've had an insanely active year, but I'm also full time student. Looking forward to stepping down so that I can "relax" a little more during my last year in school. Once I cross the stage, I think my family and I are taking a nice, long, overdue vacation. ;)

Oh, NO you don't- we don't LET Past Masters "retire"! :wink:

Think I'll call Jimmy Patterson & have him find something for you to do. :lol:

jwhoff

Premium Member
I'm so pumped up about the EAST ... I've aligned myself for one more salvo in an unsuspecting lodge next year!

:confused1:

Then, of course, I'd very much like to fade off into the twilight. Don't anyone tell Wild Bill though.

:49:

Mac

Premium Member
I'm going with the white-on-white design so that it's there if you're looking for it, but is otherwise decently subtle. I am getting a custom PM jewel made, though. We'll see if the Lodge wants to make it a tradition. Pictures when it's done.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
Bother Mac,

If you are looking for a White on White PM apron, I saw on just the other day on a website that I use quite often. www.masonicshop.com is the site. I don't know if you are familiar with it, but most of the stuff is made by Masons. The business is owned and operated by a Mason. I hope this is a little bit helpful. Oh, by the way, the price I saw was only $90.00. :thumbup1:

Roy Vance
San Angelo Lodge 570
San Angelo, Tx JD
Phil Head Lodge 1415
Carlsbad, Tx JW

Mac

Premium Member
Thanks, Brother Vance! I actually am wearing a custom ring I bought from their site a year or two ago.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Mac, check out brotherhood aprons. They are great quality, handmade by a brother in geogia. I bought a nice plain white with satin backing and it was like 40 bucks. Ones with embroidering were a little more, but cheaper than 90 bucks. Took about two weeks to get a Texas size one special.

Glen Rose # 525
Granbury # 392

Mac

Premium Member
I like their work, brother. Glad to know they'll do custom orders. Thanks for the tip!

Ecossais

I've seen many Texas Past Masters wear any number of different Past Master aprons that they bought from a multitude of different regalia manufacturers. Further, I have searched Article 505, Masonic Disciplinary Violations, and it does not list the wearing of a non-standard Past Master apron as a Masonic disciplinary offense.

chrmc

I've seen many Texas Past Masters wear any number of different Past Master aprons that they bought from a multitude of different regalia manufacturers. Further, I have searched Article 505, Masonic Disciplinary Violations, and it does not list the wearing of a non-standard Past Master apron as a Masonic disciplinary offense.

Very interesting. Just out of curiosity, but can anyone advise how would a breaking rules be "taxed" if it isn't mentioned under the list of Masonic Disciplinary Violations?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

In the MM Obligation we agreed to abide by the Grand Lodge Law, ALL parts thereof. A violation of any part of one's Obligation IS a Masonic Disciplinary Violation.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
can anyone advise how would a breaking rules be "taxed" if it isn't mentioned under the list of Masonic Disciplinary Violations?

Something like an "offending" PM apron, if a "first" offense, would probably garner an informal "Don't wear that no more, boy!" comment from the Powers What Be, but I just can't imagine a complaint going that high up. If anyone attempted to file charges over something so minor, there would have to be something else going on behind the scenes & it would be time for the DDGM to step in & (Masonically) knock heads & straighten things out.

To answer your question more precisely, take a look @ Art. 504:

Art. 504. Violations Of Obligations And Laws.
Every violation of a Masonic obligation, every violation of the Constitution, Laws, Resolutions or Edicts of this Grand Lodge, or usages and customs of Masonry, and every violation of the laws of the United States, a State, or of a municipality, involving moral turpitude is a Masonic disciplinary violation.

Pretty broad "catchall" statement, isn't it? Just as in our civil & criminal law, every possible violation can't be listed- if it were, Hercules couldn't lift the law book without help. We presume that anyone worthy of becoming a Mason has a fairly good understanding of "right & wrong" and shouldn't push the boundaries thereof. In addition, we should be our Brother's keepers and should whisper good counsel in the ear of those who put a foot wrong, thereby preventing minor situations from escalating to the point where action needs to be taken.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Must back Bro. Bill on this one. It came up early this year as to what type of PM aprons should be warn at the lodge. The Secretary and I contacted the DDGM who contacted Grand Lodge. We were quoted a PGM edict on the subject and will purchase aprons as per stipulated unless and until changes should be made. Here to for our PM aprons included the year served. This was the only discrepancy with the edict.

Mac

Premium Member
So an idea I've kicked around for a year or two has been proposing a resolution that would lessen the restrictions on what's allowed on a PM apron. Based on the number of brothers I've seen wearing them, it looks like there's a legitimate desire for it. How would you word the resolution?

jwhoff

Premium Member
There's a thought brother. Would require legal help on that one I'm afraid.

I agree, from appearances, it would be a good topic to address.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
Must back Bro. Bill on this one. It came up early this year as to what type of PM aprons should be warn at the lodge. The Secretary and I contacted the DDGM who contacted Grand Lodge. We were quoted a PGM edict on the subject and will purchase aprons as per stipulated unless and until changes should be made. Here to for our PM aprons included the year served. This was the only discrepancy with the edict.

My question is now, what year was that edict in force?:001_unsure: I know that, unless otherwise stated, all edicts are null and void at the end of the current GM term, but would this one ruffle feathers? I, too, have seen various PMs with some very nice aprons on in lodge for initiations and such, so, I am thinking that more than a few are proud to have been seated in the Oriental Chair for a year.

Roy Vance
San Angelo Lodge 570 JD
San Angelo, TX
Phil Head Lodge 1415 JW
Carlsbad, TX

Mac

Premium Member
Well, Brother Lins hit the nail on the head, though. If the law says they must meet "X" criteria, with no additional adornment, then that's technically what we have to do. If brothers would like to be able to wear some of the beautiful custom pieces (such as by the Craftsman's Apron) that are out there, we need a resolution to amend the law.

So who wants to draft it? ;)