My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Goat.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Thanks for the kind words, Brother.

As this year's Senior Deacon, I think its safe to say that I'm serious business bordering on fire and brimstone during the degrees. I'm a speak from the diaphragm sort of fellow and they say they can hear me clearly clear into the lodge room during the preparation, and I take a firm hand during the degrees. I do this to viscerally instill in the candidate that, when the time comes that they need it, that they have a true, strong friend that they may depend who will stand tall for them.

In my mind it is not fear that we want the candidates to feel. It is gravity and dignity. If you don't break the ice somewhere in the runup for a brief time they can become frazzled and afraid. So if I make a goat joke over the meal, it is because I see they are picking at it and are nervous. I make a point to wink at him and say something like don't worry when he chuckles. Then for just a very brief moment become serious, look him in the eyes, tell him that if in doubt to listen for my voice and remember I will never steer him wrong. Then let the brief moment pass and ask him if he'd care for some iced cream. Works a charm, and when the time comes it is muscle memory that they are in the hands of a true friend that they can trust.

Sorry to ramble - I love the Senior Deacon role. Gives me a lot of pleasure, as does the memory work that follows.

widows son

Premium Member
"Thanks for the kind words, Brother.

As this year's Senior Deacon, I think its safe to say that I'm serious business bordering on fire and brimstone during the degrees. I'm a speak from the diaphragm sort of fellow and they say they can hear me clearly clear into the lodge room during the preparation, and I take a firm hand during the degrees. I do this to viscerally instill in the candidate that, when the time comes that they need it, that they have a true, strong friend that they may depend who will stand tall for them.

In my mind it is not fear that we want the candidates to feel. It is gravity and dignity. If you don't break the ice somewhere in the runup for a brief time they can become frazzled and afraid. So if I make a goat joke over the meal, it is because I see they are picking at it and are nervous. I make a point to wink at him and say something like don't worry when he chuckles. Then for just a very brief moment become serious, look him in the eyes, tell him that if in doubt to listen for my voice and remember I will never steer him wrong. Then let the brief moment pass and ask him if he'd care for some iced cream. Works a charm, and when the time comes it is muscle memory that they are in the hands of a true friend that they can trust.

Sorry to ramble - I love the Senior Deacon role. Gives me a lot of pleasure, as does the memory work that follows."

• I too am Senior Deacon, and I too enjoy being a guide for our brethren. My problem is that we've only had one guy go through the 2nd this year so far. A lot of first degrees though, which is good. After the summer break we are going to be doing the guys we put through in the first, so it works out.

Senior Deacon is my first chair. I know a lot of brethren here believe that a mason should progress through the line right through to the East, and i agree. But before I was asked, the WM, Wardens and Secretary sat me down and explained that they believe that because of my memory work and enthusiasm, and that because we have a small lodge, and most of the active brethren have roles to fill already, they felt that I would be able to fulfill the duties exceptionally. And I feel I have. I truly love masonry and that helps a lot. They also explained what i would have to do as SD and that generally if his performance and commitment are strong, he could be sitting in the South in the following year, something which I am still considering.