My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Secret Teachings Of All Ages

Bro. Craftsman777

Someone I know looking to petition with me, was told to read a book called The Secret Teachings Of All Ages. He was given the book by a friend, who has quite a few friends in the fraternity. Not sure what the book teaches but seeing as how he is not a brother yet, should he read or not read the book? Please members of the brotherhood, let me know.

Freemason Connect Mobile

BEDickey

Premium Member
The Secret Teachings of All Ages is a master work by Manly Palmer Hall, one of the foremost lecturers and masters of the "hidden knowledge" of ancient times. He was actually a 33 degree mason, but never went threw initiation to become a master mason, similar to being made a mason "at sight" in the PHA tradition. They realized M.P.H knew more about masonry then most anyone else in the country/world at that time, and gave him the honorary degree.

Thegentlesoldier

Manly P Hall was a scholar, well versed and at times pretty hard to follow. A prospective or newly made brother would probably not get as much from it as would a more senior Brother.

My Freemasonry HD

tantbrandon

Premium Member
The Secret Teachings of All Ages is a master work by Manly Palmer Hall, one of the foremost lecturers and masters of the "hidden knowledge" of ancient times. He was actually a 33 degree mason, but never went threw initiation to become a master mason, similar to being made a mason "at sight" in the PHA tradition. They realized M.P.H knew more about masonry then most anyone else in the country/world at that time, and gave him the honorary degree.

I've actually read that he was initiated passed and raised in a lodge in San Fran. Not sure though.

My Freemasonry HD

jwhoff

Premium Member
Manly P Hall was the 20th century version of Albert Pike. He got off a bus in the early days of Hollywood with little education and proceeded to build himself a life noted by many as a true master of the occult, by others as a master of plagiarism. Much money was made by Hall and his associates through the years. He was a much sought after speaker, many times by Scottish Rite Valleys across the States and the Continent.

I had read Pike extensively before but was cautious of delving into Hall. So I decided to do a comparison of the two brethren. I purchased and read biographies of both and then read The Secret Teachings of All Ages. In it, Hall chronologically takes the reader through the mysteries. He does not, in my opinion offer any further light. Rather, like Pike, he offers the reader a singular work to obtain a working understanding of the mysteries.

My preference is Pike. Though both men were blessed with huge egos, Hall's circle of friends shed poor light on his memory and intentions. But, then, Pike's life in 19th Century Washington, DC was no match for what awaited Hall when he stepped off that bus in Hollywood, CA nearly 100 years ago.

Zaden

Manly P Hall was the 20th century version of Albert Pike. He got off a bus in the early days of Hollywood with little education and proceeded to build himself a life noted by many as a true master of the occult, by others as a master of plagiarism. Much money was made by Hall and his associates through the years. He was a much sought after speaker, many times by Scottish Rite Valleys across the States and the Continent.

I had read Pike extensively before but was cautious of delving into Hall. So I decided to do a comparison of the two brethren. I purchased and read biographies of both and then read The Secret Teachings of All Ages. In it, Hall chronologically takes the reader through the mysteries. He does not, in my opinion offer any further light. Rather, like Pike, he offers the reader a singular work to obtain a working understanding of the mysteries.

My preference is Pike. Though both men were blessed with huge egos, Hall's circle of friends shed poor light on his memory and intentions. But, then, Pike's life in 19th Century Washington, DC was no match for what awaited Hall when he stepped off that bus in Hollywood, CA nearly 100 years ago.

Brother, would you mind saying what the titles of those biographies were and if you would recommend them on their own?

jwhoff

Premium Member
Sorry Brother Zaden. I'm late getting back to you but here it is:

Master of Mysteries: The Life of Manly Palmer Hall, by Louis Sahaugun

Albert Pike: The Man Behind the Monument
, by Jim Tresner

These would be good launching pads for any comparison study of the two writers.

rebis

Premium Member
M.P.H. A truly great and remarkable individual. He has the ability of putting into words profound thoughts and ideas that our fraternity teaches through allegory and symbolism.

My Freemasonry HD

Zaden

Sorry Brother Zaden. I'm late getting back to you but here it is:

Master of Mysteries: The Life of Manly Palmer Hall, by Louis Sahaugun

Albert Pike: The Man Behind the Monument
, by Jim Tresner

These would be good launching pads for any comparison study of the two writers.

Thank you, brother.

Mindovermatter Ace

I've read MPH's The Secret Teachings of All Ages a few times in my travels. It's definitely a great work for those who have little knowledge about the craft. It also sheds life on old and ancient spiritual & religious beliefs, as well as symbols. Great read.

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
I agree that the Secret Teachings is a great read, as I have it as well as its study appendix, but for a profane, I would recommend something SIMPLE, such as "The Idiot's Guide To Freemasonry" by S. Brent Morris.........it's a simple but easy to understand read that will familiarize the reader with the Order, and answer any BASIC questions he may have................No need to give a Man a Deep Well, when all he NEEDS at this point is a cup of water to wet his palate.............just my .02........VINCE

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Is Hall's book sourced? Does he actually cite his sources, that is? I'm sick to death of works that purport all kinds of "knowledge" or "mysteries" but refuse to properly cite sources.

tomasball

Premium Member
Is Hall's book sourced? Does he actually cite his sources, that is? I'm sick to death of works that purport all kinds of "knowledge" or "mysteries" but refuse to properly cite sources.

No, Hall makes no attempt to offer sources. Frankly, I'm convinced half of what he says in that book he made up himself.

Mindovermatter Ace

How can he have made up accounts that are historically accurate? Not only did he write much of our modern ritual but he is also revered as one of the most informed persons of our time when it comes to esoteric knowledge and Gnostics. Even if he did make most of it up, nonetheless he is still considered a pillar of wisdom on the subject and respected as such for over 100 years.

Mindovermatter Ace

P.S. If you actually read the book there are plenty lines of text where he vividly states the source of his information and his prospective or objection to that information.

crono782

Premium Member
While Hall was quite the writer, I do not believe he was much of a contributor to the ritual work of his day (or at all).

otherstar

No, Hall makes no attempt to offer sources. Frankly, I'm convinced half of what he says in that book he made up himself.

Actually, he frequently refers to his sources within the text (even if he doesn't city his sources to the page, etc., in a scholarly manner) in much the same way Albert Pike does in his work Morals and Dogma. Hall also includes a very extensive bibliography of sources he consulted while compiling the book.

jwhoff

Premium Member

Embellishment is a terrible thing to waste. You may be closer than either of us suspect.

After all, we are talking about "Hollywood." To Brother Maloney's point, true scholarship is recognizable. Hall is disputable on that point.