My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things everyone learns in the navy?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Ull need to lean to pick up the liquid soap in the shower quickly unless u want a surprise...lol...i kidd i kidd......ull have to learn to accept the fact that u are gonna ride on something long and hard and be called seaman. Youll have to lean to un button the 13buttons on the cracker jack uniform while trying not to shat urself...lol...the fact that you want to come in as an officer you will have to learn to accept the fact that you cant eat with your sailors as the navy feels that they are beneath you and therefore you must eat in a seperate dining facility then them<-----that may not seam like abig deal to you now but as an enlisted soldier i can tell u that it means something when ur lieutenant or company commander sits down at a meal with u to ask how your doing or how ur wife is doing. When i found out that senior enlisted and officers and senior officers all have seperate dining facilities from each other and the jr enlisted, i was a little disgusted. In the army we all eat the same food from the same facilities.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Firefighting discussions can be amusing. I mentioned to a Marine that I liked the firefighting lessons best. He did too. Then I thought about the difference. In the Navy it means the ship is on fire and if we don't put it out we all die. In the Marines it's about responding to the fact that someone decided to "support your right to arm bears" and all bleep broke loose. Trouble? Dial 911-Marines.

Some of the skills we learned were very simple. Everyone went in knowing how to fold or cut stuff in half, so they taught us folding stuff in thirds. Everyone went in knowing how to walk, so they taught us how to walk in step. Everyone went in knowing how to tie a square knot (hmmm, maybe not everyone), so they taught us how to tie a suit tie in a square knot (it's called a Half Windsor in clothing discussions) and how to tie a nice looking square knot in our Cracker Jack uniform. These skills are far more adaptable than you'd think. Consider how many numbers you can get by multiplying 2s and 3s and so how many ways you can divide up big stuff. Marching in step is actually use of peripheral vision and teamwork. If you can morph a square knot into a tie think of all of the other shaping you'll be able to do.

All of this was a matter of breaking methods down to much smaller basics than is usually taught. Get the basics right and you'll tend to get the entire process right. Find the smallest set of basics and you'll tend to get the biggest most advanced process right. How do you eat an elephant? One step at a time. So learn the smallest steps. It took me forever to appreciate that was why we learned such simple skills in boot camp.