My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tickets to attend a degree

relapse98

The Masonic Oklahoma Indian Degree Team will be putting on a Master Mason's Degree wearing their full regalia at Hella Shrine in Garland.

Got an email today and it says buy your tickets now as its expected to sell out quickly.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oklahoma-masonic-indian-degree-may-20th-2017-tickets-32014856297
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oklahoma-masonic-indian-degree-may-20th-2017-tickets-32014856297
I just have some sort of moral issue with someone charging to see a Master Mason's degree. Maybe its my cheap side coming out, but it just feels wrong to me. Shrine or some other appendant body, do what you want. But charging someone to attend a blue lodge degree? Nah, just doesn't feel right.

Thoughts? If anything, at least I help spread the word about what I'm sure is a great degree but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Keith C

I can see two sides to it. I, like you, don't like the idea of "charging" to attend a Degree meeting. However I am sure that the number of Brothers wishing to witness this unique degree far outnumber the seating capacity of the venue. By charging admission, they can limit the number to the capacity. I would feel better about it, however, if they donated the proceeds to a charitable cause, rather than to support their own appendant bodies.

rpbrown

Premium Member
I also don't agree with charging an admission to see a degree. You can still use tickets for the venue and then ask for donations to offset the costs

chrmc

I don't have an issue with it, since it's a small fee and they've probably had some expenses to get the guys down which they need to cover.
However technically I don't think it's legal in accordance with GLoTX laws. If a MM in good standing shows up with a dues card and ID, he has to be admitted.

Plustax

ok..... let me break it all down. The fee is for having the event in Texas and not for the MM degree itself. The OK Indian team has some needed requirements especially when traveling out of their state to do this (besides getting special written Dispensation from TX and OK Grand Masters). There are costs involved for their travel, food and lodging for 3 days (Fri-Sun). There are 14 members on the team. They need 7 rooms (2 persons per room), food and travel fuel. This we have figured is $2500. The cost for food for masons attending is $6 per person which is very cheap and getting that thru HELLA Shrine on the premises. Eventbrite (CC processing thru the internet) has a fee. The venue is being limited to 500 persons as it is being held inside a horse arena (this was actually done there before in '93). The absolute cheapest bleacher rental for 500 persons is $3200. The arena has 5 toilets and therefore "port a potties" are needed ($125 per day). There are incidental fees (trash bags, wrist bands, etc). So if you just figure the cost for 500 persons (that alone is ....... 500x$6=$3000(food)+$3200(bleachers)+$2500(OK Team travel expenses). That number alone is $8,700. This is not even paying for the 3-5 port a potties or other items needed to just have the event. However, an agreement was made and stated that IF there is any extra money made, it would be donated to the HELLA Shrine which we all know has their philanthropy toward Shriner's Hospitals for Children. So as you can see the $25 fee is NOT for the actual degree itself. It is to be able to have it in Texas and pay for what is needed at the venue itself. Also, if there were no "number limit...500) placed on this event, persons actually may not be able to be accommodated as with any venue there has to be a capacity limit. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding that there is no money being made for this and IF there is, it WILL be donated to Hella shrine whom has let us use their venue (& parking) free of charge. Believe me, this is somewhat of a logistical challenge when having this many people attend an event needing food, parking, transport shuttling, seating (special seating for handicapped, etc). Also mentioning attendance of 3-5 Grand Masters and their staffs coming from different surrounding states. I truly hope this has cleared up any misconceptions on the monies, but we didn't feel it necessary to explain all this on the website. We figured that fellow brethren would feel this was being done for fellowship and witnessing something together. Fees...... is just something that is needed to make something of this magnitude happen. Any questions, please contact me and I'll be glad to address them. Please know that tickets are actually selling fast as many brethren have heard about this team which has been doing this since 1948 all over the US and Europe. I actually went to OK a few days ago to see the MM Indian degree and meet with the team to finalize certain things for our upcoming event. Fraternally, SW Jerry L. Barrera, 214 533 5659 (1 of the coordinators of this event).

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If a MM in good standing shows up with a dues card and ID, he has to be admitted.
If it were a constituent lodge conferring a degree that might be true, but it's an advertised event being held at a venue. Different rules.