My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traditional observance lodges are they good for th

SteveR

Re: Traditional observance lodges are they good fo

"Each lodge should adopt some kind of a dress code. If a man can't be bothered to wash his face and put on a clean pair of pants before walking through the door of a Masonic Temple he doesn't need to be there. If you don't care whether a man looks uncaring and unkempt when he walks through the door of your temple, YOU don't need to be there. We need to grow up and discover the joys of gentlemanly behavior. Not northern snooty phony gentlemanliness, but a genuine southern genteel gentlemanliness. If we cannot bother to put on a coat and tie at least when initiating, passing and raising a candidate, just how important an event will it strike that new man?" -Laudable Pursuit: A 21st Century Response to Dwight Smith

I think this says it pretty well. It's NOT about the clothes, brethren. It's the attitude involved. Here's something to contemplate that an old brother told me once about dressing nicely: "If you knew Brother George Washington was to visit your lodge this evening, how would you dress?" Of course, I said, "in the best I have." He then said, "then why is it brethren don't seem compelled to give even greater care to how you dress for the GAOTU...He's present at EVERY meeting and far more important than any man that has ever walked the earth." ...hard to argue with that logic. :)

Last edited:

FlBrother324

Re: Traditional observance lodges are they good fo

My main issue with the whole discussion is the amount of push back that the moment is seeing from freemasonry in general. If some masons want to meet, dress up nicely, have fancy meals, moments of silence process in etc. I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't change ritual.
Just as I don't have issues with lodges that want to meet up in overalls, eat spaghetti on paper plates, focus on the fraternal aspect and shoot the s***.

But I'd like us to get to the point where we have room for the masonry that each camp would like to do. Again provided that GL law and ritual is followed.

I liken this to the military;
You have the "90 Day Wonders", and the spit and polish Military Academy graduates. Both are consummate professionals, that have the same goals and aspirations.

The man that clawed his way through the Academy's daily regimental code of conduct and inspections for 5/+ years, that produced this spit and polished mind set we see in our country's Academy graduates.

The other man who was able to live in the dorms or off campus while getting his degree, with little or no restrictions unless in a ROTC Campus program during their college career. They go through OCS Training after graduation from college finalizing and fine tuning their military protocols.

Though they came from different training scenarios and one tends to be more rigid than the other regarding their structured daily routines, they are both equals in the beginning, the consummate professional at their respective jobs when done with training.

That being said, when they are expected to be in their dress uniforms they will do so out of respect for their position and their unit.

We as Masons come from every walk of life, some more polished then others.
It's about taking pride in yourself, respect for the Lodge and the Craft (Esprit de Corps). I am the WM of a small country Lodge and have Brothers that come to Lodge in Jeans and dress shirts, usually a sports coat (but they are pressed and clean). others in a suite & tie. Yes, We have had Brothers come to Lodge right from work, but they would bring a change of clothes with them for the tiled meeting. That doesn't mean we wouldn't admit them if they didn't, it just means they care about how they represent our Lodge and themselves.

May you be blessed with a glorious day!

Yours, in His service.

Last edited: