My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPDATE: Suspect Bound For Trial in Chattanooga Masonic Center Fire

by Christopher Hodapp

The lone suspect in the Labor Day arson fire that heavily damaged the Masonic Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee has been bound over for trial, and his bail has been raised to $450,000. On Monday, Judge Lila Statom bound all charges of the Grand Jury against Kadum Hunter Harwood (29). Those charges include arson, vandalism, harassment, aggravated burglary, and reckless endangerment.

Harwood acted as his own attorney, which should go well, I'm sure.

From an article on the Chattannogan.com website on Monday:

kadum-harwood.png

A judge on Monday raised the bond for a man police say vandalized and burned the Masonic Temple across from Finley Stadium after threatening to do so on social media.

Kadum Hunter Harwood, 29, of 96 Harris St., Ringgold, now faces bonds totaling $450,000.

General Sessions Court Judge Lila Statom bound all charges to the Grand Jury against Harwood. Those include harassment, vandalism, arson, aggravated burglary and reckless endangerment.

Harwood represented himself, with the help of the public defender's office, at a preliminary hearing.

Paul Smith, who oversees the Temple, told of extensive damages inside and out of the building that had been used not only by the Masons but for civic and other groups.

Mr. Smith said Masonic members had been aware of threats Harwood had been making. "Numerous Masons had been following his posts," he said.

It was testified that Harwood wrote on Facebook, "I think I'm going to burn the one downtown. I am going to make an example of all FMs (Free Masons)."

Fire investigator Henry McElvain said Harwood was seen on video setting fires both inside and out of the building, destroying items inside and tossing some property on the parking lot.

He said video showed the same car as had been seen outside the Temple before. It was located at Harwood's home and searched by the FBI as well as his home.

The investigator said Harwood fired a shot while outside the building in the Sept. 4 incident, and a shell casing was located.

At the close of the hearing, Harwood said, "These charges are false. I am being wrongly detained and accused."

Before the fire, the Masonic Center was shared by Temple Lodge 430, Chattanooga Lodge 199, John Bailey Nicklin Chapter RAM 49, and Lookout Commandery 14.

Continue reading...

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
If I were to look at mug shots and pick out the pro se defendant, it would take me an about a nano second to say, “Him.”

Pro se defendants are actually difficult for everyone in the system. Extra care must be taken to ensure they are aware of their choice in proceeding without counsel; extra care must be taken to explain procedures during the proceedings; a well-versed prosecutor will ensure that s/he does not take advantage of the situation, so that it does not cause issues on appeal; if they testify, it is awkward; a jury instruction may be needed regarding their choice.

Typically on charges like these, a stand by defense counsel will be appointed by the court. This is a difficult job as well as you have a client who likely is not going to listen to you yet you must prepare the whole case.