My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Books Would You Recomend

MMWoody

I was curious if the brothers out there had possible recomendations of books I could read to obtain more light.

Observer

I would definitely start with Robinson's A Pilgrim's Path and Davis' Understanding Manhood in America. I believe Davis' book will help crystalize your feelings about the Fraternity and make it easier for you to discuss them with others. Both are available from Amazon.

cemab4y

Premium Member
"The Complete Idiot's guide to Freemasonry" and "Freemasonry for Dummies". Both provide an excellent "cliff's notes" version of the Craft and the appendant bodies.

cog41

Premium Member
For Freemasonry:

1. Your Lodge Monitor.
2. Solomon's Builders, by Christopher Hodapp
3. A Pilgrim's Path, by John Robinson
4. The Symbolism of Freemasonry, by Albert G. Mackey

For yourself and as a Mason:

The Old Testament Book of Proverbs
Old Testament Psalms

All just my humble opinion.

timd24

Premium Member
The Newly Made Mason by H.L.Haywood

The Freemasons:A History of the World's Most Powerful Secret Society by Jasper Ridley

Born in Blood, A Pilgrims Path and Dungeon,Fire and Sword, all by John J Robinson.

I also liked A Treasury of Masonic Thought, by Carl Glick, found it on Ebay for around 20 dollars

VinnyC

I've read and enjoyed Born in Blood and the Lost Keys to Freemasonry. Also there is what I call a small pocket book of Freemasonry called, Freemasonry: An Introduction. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Mac

Premium Member
The Scottish Rite Ritual Monitor and Guide is a WONDERFUL masonic reference book that is easy to read. I recommend it for all masons, if only because the first portion of the book is a pretty good history of the fraternity. Many brothers are ignorant of our origins as a fraternity and perpetuate myths that are simply untrue. Via the discussion of degrees regarding the three ruffians, the book also gives you an idea how other systems of Freemasonry confer the third degree.

The Origins of Freemasonry is a short book that proposes that organized Masonry may have actually started in Scotland, rather than in England.

Also, don't be afraid to acquire a cheap used copy of Mackey's Encyclopedias off of eBay. I think I bought my set for $35 or so a few years back. Mackey is not THE authoritative source of all masonic information, but it's a handy collection of masonic definitions and articles.

Ashlar

The Craft and it's Symbols by Allen Roberts
Is it true what they say about Freemasonry by De Hoyos & Morris
The Building series by John Nagy aka:CoachN
The Freemason Key : a Study of Masonic Symbolism
The Meaning of Masonry byW.L. Wilmshurst

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I was curious if the brothers out there had possible recomendations of books I could read to obtain more light.
Yes.

If you want a better understanding of the Symbols, the Allegory, the actual Work, the basis behind the Work, and what the Work does to Transform you into a Better Man, then you might want to check out Volumes 1 through 5 of the Building Builders Series of Uncommon Masonic Education books.

http://www.coach.net/BuildingBuilders.htm

Yes, I wrote them. If you want a taste of what they have to offer, here are two FREE videos based upon the series.

http://vimeo.com/22653123

http://vimeo.com/33840584

Enjoy!

Bro. Coach N

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Born in Blood

I've read and enjoyed Born in Blood

I recently started reading Born in Blood and very much enjoying it. However, on a recent trip to Barnes and Nobles I had the lady help me find some books on Masonry on a shelf. I found a book called "Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry?" written by Arturo De Hoyos and S. Brent Morris. Both are pretty well known Brothers from the Supreme Council S.J. Mr. De Hoyos was one of the ones who helped revise the recent editions to the Scottish Rite Ritual and Monitor.

This book is a VERY good read. It debunks the rumors that are spread by anti-Masons using really in depth research. It covers a lot of things from Taxil's hoax from way back in the day to a lot of the religious and Christian authors of today that write opposing Freemasonry. I really think that this is a very good book to pick up and read. If the holidays wouldn't have hit with such a sudden rush, I would't have been able to put it down. Now that they are over, I am excited to dive back into the book and finish it.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
I would recommend "Making Light A Handbook for Freemasons" by Julian Rees, he is an excellent writer and for any man reading this that is going through the degrees. He does an excellent job talking about the symbolism and the book isn't a read once and pitch type of thing.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

jwhoff

Premium Member
Yes, Brother Martin. I read that version during and had a very hard time putting it down. Good reference.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I recently started reading Born in Blood and very much enjoying it. However, on a recent trip to Barnes and Nobles I had the lady help me find some books on Masonry on a shelf. I found a book called "Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry?" written by Arturo De Hoyos and S. Brent Morris. Both are pretty well known Brothers from the Supreme Council S.J. Mr. De Hoyos was one of the ones who helped revise the recent editions to the Scottish Rite Ritual and Monitor.

This book is a VERY good read. It debunks the rumors that are spread by anti-Masons using really in depth research. It covers a lot of things from Taxil's hoax from way back in the day to a lot of the religious and Christian authors of today that write opposing Freemasonry. I really think that this is a very good book to pick up and read. If the holidays wouldn't have hit with such a sudden rush, I would't have been able to put it down. Now that they are over, I am excited to dive back into the book and finish it.

I will have to find that one once I finish Born in Blood.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Yes...
  • Building Hiram - Uncommon Catechsim for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volume 1
  • Building Boaz - Uncommon Catechsim for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volume 2
  • Building Athens - Uncommon Catechsim for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volume 3
  • Building Janus - Uncommon Catechsim for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volume 4
  • Building Perpends - Uncommon Aphorisms for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volume 5
  • The Coaches Coach: Building Builders, parts 1 & 2 (Videos)
and "yes" I created them.

F&S,

Coach N

<EDIT> I didn't see that I responded to this post earlier. Please forgive me. I do though ask you: "What kind of Light are you looking for?"

You have historical Light and you have things that make you better Light. The former is geared more toward Freemasonry and the latter is geared more toward Masonry. Which is your interest?

Last edited:

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I would have to say that I would also recommend Coach N's writings. After reading the first in the series my brain hurt from the amount wisdom in his words. Great stuff Coach!

relapse98

I'm not done with it yet, but a number of us are reading The Hiram Key. The reading gets a bit slow at times, much faster at others.

The authors bring up several interesting theories concerning the history of Freemasonry.