My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What could be more "necessary"?

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
There is a scene from the movie, "The Last Samurai", that sums up my interest in freemasonry.

In the movie, Tom Cruise's character speaks with a samurai lord, the last of a dying breed of men who followed the ancient warrior code of honor called "bushido".

The samurai lord says, "The way of the samurai is no longer necessary."

Cruise's character replies, "What could be more necessary?"

It seems we are in an age when the high ideals of honor, integrity, magnaminity, and brotherhood are no longer deemed necessary. But what could be more necessary?!?

Even among groups where fraternal love is suppose to abound, nation's militaries struggle to remind their soldiers that they are not mercenaries. Inside the "thin blue line" LEOs value brotherhood less and career advancement more. And church men preach the gospel of wealth and riches instead of faith, hope, and charity.

So who's left to carry the light? My generation should know that they don't have to give up, and that they don't have to reinvent the wheel. The answer, I think, is freemasonry.

What could be more necessary?

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
So who's left to carry the light? My generation should know that they don't have to give up, and that they don't have to reinvent the wheel. The answer, I think, is freemasonry.

What could be more necessary?
Indeed.

Brotherly love, relief, and truth have been prized in virtually every chivalric order almost since records of such have been kept. In many examples, Medieval Europe, Bushido, Futuwwah, it was an aristocratic class, often warriors, that arrived at the same set of values and similar "codes of honor". One finds the same moral threads running through all of them. I don't pretend to know why that is, but my theory is that for men given the luxury (time) to think on such things, such values are simply a logical conclusion. Perhaps to an even greater degree though, for men who've experienced it first hand, it is the chaos and despair that ensue when a society lacks those things that drives them to elevate and refine those values.
Like I said, I don't know where it comes from, but come it does, even in vastly different cultures with vastly different dominant religious influences. It seems pretty clear that there is a "morality", a truth, that transcends all those differences and which can be arrived at by anyone willing to pursue it.

Flatworlder

Powerful words Jamie and Johnny.
Too bad the corporate big boys didn't think along the same lines about the men .. who they lay off or manipulate them out of jobs. Maybe too deep a subject to get into at 11:43pm on a saturday night. I will however say that when I was without a job I found myself looking towards Masonry to feel reconnected. I needed the feeling of brotherhood I found it within my humble small town lodge.
Ionic Kent Lodge No 19 Chilliwack. B.C. Canada.