My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do y'all think ....

nick1368

I think the message gets polluted when people show up looking like bums, particularly during degrees. I think that our candidates deserve the best degree possible, and when someone is there in shorts, it greatly detracts from the sincerety of the event.

I agree....especially for an EA..this is the 1st impression a new brother has of Our Great Fraternity.

R

ravickery03

I think I chimed in when we had this on the old fourm, but I am a big fan of coat and tie, people that go to lodge in tore up jeans and their Johnson t-shirts really bother me.

Maybe I am just a snob. :)

TexMass

I received my PM pocket Jewel tonight. Now, why would I wear something that would not let me show this off?

PM%20Jewel.jpg

I also received my PM apron and PM certificate from GL. It was a good night.

DSCN1365.JPG

Last edited:

TexMass

In MA we "recycle" jewels. A PM jewel is traditionally returned to the lodge after the brother passes. It is then given to the next Master if he chooses to wear that one or if the lodge has multiples he can choose from the bunch. Once in a while you'll get a new one but no one wants a new one. New ones are not made as high in quality than older ones. An average modern jewel can run about $600. An older one will get double or more. Mine was first worn in 1958. There is actually a second piece that you cannot see. On the back side from the sunburst down is another piece exactly shaped like the front and it is hinged. The outer part has my name and masonic information. Flip it up and the original brother's information is there from 1958-59. I forgot that we get new PM aprons but the one I chose is from the same brother who once wore the jewel. The apron in the picture is from 1959. I am having it sent in to have the gold thread cleaned up. It should shine well for being nearly 50 years old.

Last edited:
J

JEbeling

Just go and work in lodge... !

its not the exturnal but its the inturnal qualifications that make a man a mason.. !

J

jhaerwie

As I have posted before. Wearing a suit does not make you a better Mason. You can join a lodge and never attend another meeting but still be a Mason and live a life of strong Masonic value. All I have said is you should be respectful to the Craft and dress appropriatly when going to lodge. This has nothing to do with you being a Mason.

Very well said Worshipful.......

mm/mmm

Here in Aus and in particular Victoria our masonic dress is a black dinner suit,white shirt and bow tie. In summer we can take off our jackets in lodge and wear a cumerbund.
I have seen photos of the brethren in overseas lodge's dressed in casual gear and even overalls with aprons and regailia on. Looks odd but certainly not offensive at all.
After all when we are in an open lodge with aprons ect it would not matter what you had on i guess.

B

Brother Secretary

that's one of the great thing about Masonry: it being a reflection of the society it's in. I'm reminded of a lodge in the Atlanta (Georgia, not Texas) area called "the Telephone lodge" (I cannot recall the actual name & number) because during the 1960's literally three out every four members worked for Bell South. And yes even in 2008 there are brothers walking right off the ranch into lodge. I'm sure they're wearing dusty boots, jeans, and a work shirt (hopefully one with a collar)

I serve as Secretary of a "black tie" or "traditional observance" lodge in Austin, Robert Burns # 127 where just as in New England, and I believe western Europe as well, dark suit is appropriate for visitors, members are in formal wear, and officers wear wear white gloves as well. If putting on a Tux is not your cup of tea, you might not feel comfortable and would wish to attend a different lodge.

I also serve as Secretary of Parsons # 222 in Austin. Officers usually in a suit, but jeans and a polo is fine, at a minimum. I've had to tell a Brother he was dressed in appropriately: flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt. I pulled him aside after the meeting a gently and respectfully thanked him for being an active member of the lodge and let him know that if it came down to a single incident of "ran out of time" couldn't make it home to change et cetera, that we'd rather have him here in shorts than not at all. "However, out of respect for where you are you really ought to wear what you'd wear to church or perhaps a job interview."

That seemed to work and did not hurt any feelings. I tend to think had he responded with an "internal not the external" type of comment I would have responded with an equal and matching level of sarcasm if any with something to the effect that "it is then your internal that is demonstrating you have little respect for where you are."

Come on, Brothers! "internal not the external" to justify wearing flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt to lodge?! That is an absolute glittering jewel of a cop out if I've ever heard one.

B

Brother Secretary

My pleasure indeed, Worshipful. I'll add it to the calender: Robert Burns # 127 's next stated is on Saturday evening January 25th. Meeting at 5:30 at Round Rock Lodge's building and dinner at 7:30 most likely at Frida's on RR620 by HWY183. Dinner will be around $50 and a cash bar is available. Not sure what the Masonic program will be at dinner, but will post when Brother Master of Ceremonies clues me in.

L

lee c smith jr

Did you just come form work or do you just like dressing that way?

I was visiting a lodge recently and wore a suit and tie. I own my own business so I wear shorts and an untucked collared shirt most days. When I go to lodge I find that I enjoy dressing up. Now if I had to dress that way every day, I might feel differently. While I was visiting this lodge, an EA very defensively asked if I just came from work or just liked dressing that way. He was a big boy and did not seem to be secure enough to have too much friendship and brotherly love in his demeaner. I saw that he was in jeans and a tshirt and the question caught me off guard. I told him that I belonged to the Commandery and I had to dress up there and I found that I enjoyed it. The lodge(like some of mine)was a blue collar crowd or older Brothers that have retired and may be in failing health who don't feel like dressing up. The only way that I could influence this young Mason was to be an example. Sometimes older Masons need an example too. Just remember that we are all Brethern and all equal with a few exceptions. The Master of the lodge can tell him how to conduct himself, but then how far do you want to take it? Is his dress "unmasonic". Do you want to press charges.

Last edited by a moderator: