My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What role did freemasons play in the underground railroad?

KO2134

also can i have some prince hall brothers chime in on this because im curious of what they did also

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
There was an excellent show on the History Channel the focused on Masonic involvement, I think it was one of the "Cities of the Underworld" series shows. I think you can find it for download on their website and you can definitely get thought the Kindle Fire online store.

THurse

Premium Member
Masonry, has spread throughout the wold, in many different Countries, used for good or bad.

jwhoff

Premium Member
That prompts a question.

Guess the answer depends on who's the bondman.

Can't say I wasn't shocked the first time I ran across that subject.

Personally ... I wouldn't have allowed a man in on either side of that transaction. Only because the bondman would have been obligated (i.e, forced) to tell the master the secrets.

Not much use for slave masters ... either side of any border.

Ratchet

The underground railroad was quite active here in Jefferson County in Pennsylvania. One of our Past Masters, James A. Minish, and his father-in-law, James A. Winslow, operated stations and were conductors here in Punxsutawney.

bro jimmie

I agree that Masonic lodges were used for some good and noble causes such as the underground railroad but I believe that some southern lodges were used to start evil organizations such as Kkk.