My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to start?

Illuminatio

Premium Member
So there are already some good threads in this section that have helped me to know what some good, further Masonic reading would be - crono's list, the 5 you couldn't live without, etc. However, I wanted to ask a more specific question. I consider myself still quite fresh only having been raised last August. So, for someone new, these lists and recommendations can be quite daunting. It feels like there are thousands of options out there. Where would a new Master Mason start his library, keeping in mind he's starting from scratch? If I wanted to start digging in and educating myself further, what book(s) specifically would you recommend that I begin with?

I realize I could always just randomly start picking things from these lists, but I would assume there are likely to be titles out there that would be more suited/recommended as "firsts of further reading" let's say.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

crono782

Premium Member
If you're up for a challenge, give "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" by Manly P. Hall a read. Not strictly Masonic, but I found that it sufficiently schooled me on various esoteric, philosophical, and mystery schools which has greatly aided me in my Masonic studies. The size of the volume can be daunting though. I recommend it as "background reading" over the course of several months.

"Speculative Masonry" by MacBride was pretty good, though hardly groundbreaking. It would make a good first addition to a collection.

The idiots guide book actually wasn't half bad and gave a decent overview of history and various appendant orgs.

Esoterika by Pike (de Hoyos) is a good read once you've gotten your feet wet a little more.

caution22113

The Craft and Its Symbols by Allen E. Roberts
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1424582818.394744.jpg

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
the Grand Lodge of London and Westminster was established in 1717 to provide a form of Masonry that was loyal to the Hanoverian king as compared with the traditional Masonic preference for the Stewart line. To achieve its purpose the new Grand Lodge had to rewrite Masonic history to obscure its own contentious origins. This it did, and it took 100 years before there was reconciliation with the other lodges (the Antients).
James, I would like to read more about this viewpoint. Can you recommend source material?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
... Where would a new Master Mason start his library, keeping in mind he's starting from scratch?
Great Questions! I recommend a book that I wrote and published late last year. It's called "The Craft Unmasked! The Origin of Freemasonry and its Practice." It shall provide to you an unbelievably strong foundation for which you can build upon. Not one filled with flights of fancy and fluff-filled conjecture, but honest to goodness insights into what you actually went through at the Blue Lodge level and why you went through it (from an organizational standpoint), as opposed to what you thought you went through and your own reasons as to why.

Let me know if you have any questions.

F&S,

John
TCU_logo.jpg

Illuminatio

Premium Member
Thanks very much for the responses everyone! After multiple recommendations here and seeing it on other lists as well, I've decided to start with "The Meaning of Masonry" by Wilmshurst. I'm just nearing the end of chapter one and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'll be honest, I already feel a bit more enlightened to some things I had not even considered, so I'm excited to see where this goes and how my knowledge will grow with this and other further reading! So far this book seems like it's working on the "soul" and "spirit" of Masonry as JamestheJust put it, which is really what I was looking for - the deeper knowledge and understanding.

At the same time I've decided to go ahead and load up my Kindle with several other books that have been recommended here. I do love technology. It's like carrying around a library in your pocket. :D But this way I'll have more ready to go once I finish the first.

The others I picked up to start with were:
- "Born in Blood" - that seemed to be a resounding favorite of many people wherever I looked
- "The Secret Teachings of All Things"
- "The Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual"
- "Morals & Dogma"
I added several other suggestions to my Wish List that were only available in a physical book, but figured I'd start with those that were available digitally, instantly.

CoachN - A question for you specifically: What's involved in getting your books available on Amazon and from there into a Kindle edition as well?

Thanks again to all, and I'm definitely open to any other recommendations that anyone feels like sharing!

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...CoachN - A question for you specifically: What's involved in getting your books available on Amazon and from there into a Kindle edition as well?
All these books are already on Amazon, but there are no plans for them to be in any digital form.

Illuminatio

Premium Member
All these books are already on Amazon, but there are no plans for them to be in any digital form.

Ah ha, I see them now. My apologies. I may have been searching only in Kindle books when I searched and didn't see them the first time. Thanks!

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I'm a little late to this party, but I'm a big WL Wilmshurst fan.

Meaning of Masonry is great, but, may I suggest starting with Ceremony of Initiation. It's short (74 pages including introduction, prologue, etc) and because it deals with just the EA degree, I think it might be easier to digest as a good starting point.