My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why all the confusion ?

Txmason32

Yes brother Brent I agree . I dont mind one day classes ,Its not the amount of time that makes tha mason its the man . I wonder the odds of a young (so to speak ) one day class graduate becoming GM in Texas ? Or even A mason that hasent been in the fraternity for 30 plus years . I am not sure how long he has been a maso but he is only 48 i believe .

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I was told by a senior officer of another grand jurisdiction, "The problem with Texas Masonry has yet to hit rock bottom. Once it does it will figure out the problems." If you look at it though it is not just Texas. It's happening EVERYWHERE with Masonry. Brothers are fighting more and more. Personal agendas are playing a part and it has become a cesspool of politics. Every year in August you see the Grand South traveling around the state visiting every MWSA meeting and MSB so they can be elected to the Grand South only to guarantee in 5 years they will become Grand Master. If all Sr. Grand Offices are elected why is it just the Grand South that campaigns (mind you campaigning is not allowed per Art. 505, but GL Law doesn't apply when you are a good ole boy).

Members are dying off much faster than they can come in the door so we rush people through the chairs. On average in TX, within 3 years of being raised chances are if you regularly attend you will be a senior officer of the Lodge and in about 5 years you will be Master (This come from the LAMP Committee not me). Does anyone else see this as alarming? The average age for a Mason in TX is over 70 years of age. Let me repeat that OVER 70. If Texas has 94,000 members then over half of them are over 70. Within 10 years it is projected that Masonry in Texas will drop below 50,000 members and some project it could get below 20,000 before you start to see a rebuild of members. The problem is you better figure out what keeps people coming, and what keeps them long term or else, as Brother Blake said you may have 30 members left at a Lodge but if no one shows up what is the purpose? Simply put is how fast does the shiny wear off the new toy? It's like the Wizard of Oz when Dorthy looked behind the curtain. It was amazing and awe inspiring until she saw what was back there and I think that is what happens here. People see behind the curtain and don't like what they see.

I am a big believer that it is the Mason that is flawed not Masonry so the system has been created is the problem not the lessons or teachings themselves. Just wanted to put that out there.

number-1-sign.jpg

Ashlar

Once I am done with my time in the East, I intend to find a small lodge on its last legs and revive it as a TO-style Lodge

Amen . Though I am going through my second term in the East in my Mother lodge , I am also SW in another lodge that is ripe for takeover , they have been struggling for years for real leadership and great officers . We now have several new(er) , younger brethren who are hungry for true Masonry and I have lured the best and brightest from other lodges to affiliate (dual membership) with this lodge . I will be taking over as Master next year and I am planning on turning into a TO style lodge myself . We are going to make it a lodge that does not focus on how to get more members , but a lodge that makes Masons , a lodge that teaches true Masonry , a lodge who's meetings are concerned with Masonic education , a lodge who dresses the part , walks the part and acts the part .

I even have some of the old heads backing me on this play .

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I think that is about right on his age. I'm not 100% sure though. I do know one thing though, if you look at the GL Officers for Oklahoma you will see a lot of younger guys in the line. Some of these have done outstanding jobs in the home Lodges and helped grow them and keep them doing the things we should be doing in our communities. Bro. Brad Rickelman who is the current Deputy Grand Master has done some great work at Frontier Lodge #48 in Stillwater, OK. Take a look at their website and you will see a lot of young Brothers there also serving in the chairs there. We should be striving to do some of the things they do and making an impact in our communities. These are Brothers that are out there showing what being a part of this Fraternity is about. I think if we could do some of the things they are we could really see a difference in our membership numbers. While I don't support GM Rogers "Chance to Advance" 100% I can see where he is looking at this from a numbers standpoint and wants more members, but I think we shouldn't hold just this one view. We have a problem and the answer lies not in a numbers game but in a quality one.

The website for Frontier Lodge #48: Frontier Lodge

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Why all the confusion My brothers ?
The confusion started when I was told that the organization I joined would make me a better man. That was the premise of the promise that was offered. It was downhill from thereonin.
Why all the resentment ?
Well, it started when I realized that I'd actually have to Work at it 'cause it ain't gonna happen on its own.
Why the division among masons ?
From what I can see, some Brothers are okay with this confusion while others believe that the premise of the promise should be delivered upon.
Have we all forgot how excited we were our first night at lodge waiting for the reply from the outter door ?
Nope. I haven't forgotten that feeling. In fact, its what keeps me active.
Feeling the hand of a stranger but knowing He would not lead you in harms way ?
Gee! thanks for reminding me. That was a bit weird at first. :001_unsure:
The second you were greeted as a Brother ?
Much better feeling! :w00t:
What happened to that feeling ?
I still have its memory. But, its been all but covered with a whole bunch of other neat feelings.
Why something we had held so dear and close and had so much excitement for ,We have lost our zeal for ?
Meeting minutes and treasurer's reports are not my idea of improving activities.
Why do multipule lodges open several times a week each having 100 -800 members but only 5-15 show ?
Unthinking Habit? Entrenched behavior? Low espectations?
why do we in the age of automobiles Have 10 plus lodges in a 20 mile radius with 5-15 people showing up at each , all paying taxes insurance electric water ect ?
Okay, I'll bite, ,why?
Is there a sense of I dont want to lose my seat ?
This is not a problem. There are plenty of seats open.
screw the seat it cant be about ourselves it has to be about the fraternity and what we give to the world and each other . when we got the apron did we do it for a hat (fez,derby ,cowboy hat ,prayer cap ect) or did we do it to make a difference in us and those around us . was it about Charecter and growth or power and position ?
I'd say "none of the above."
Why if we want change does it stay the same .
Just a guess... Could it be that it is because the same unchanging men are involved?
Think back in 1920 GL dues were a weeks pay today they are maybe a day or even an hrs pay for most . if we dont think we are worth it niether will outsiders .
Yup. You're getting warm!
Think what we could have done with all that extra income to help the fraternity grow ?
Into what? Would you like what you have now to be even bigger?
To attract new men of charecter ?
Attraction Principle 101: Like attracts like. To attract men of character, you must first BE men of character.

Mac

Premium Member
I do know one thing though, if you look at the GL Officers for Oklahoma you will see a lot of younger guys in the line. Some of these have done outstanding jobs in the home Lodges and helped grow them and keep them doing the things we should be doing in our communities.
Young Grand Lodge Officers?! Say it isn't so! ;)

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Well maybe not exactly young, but younger than most you see. I guess youth is a relative term in Masonry. I am considered a kid in my Lodge and I turn 40 in March. Of course we have a lot that are "young at heart".

mrpesas

Amen . Though I am going through my second term in the East in my Mother lodge , I am also SW in another lodge that is ripe for takeover , they have been struggling for years for real leadership and great officers . We now have several new(er) , younger brethren who are hungry for true Masonry and I have lured the best and brightest from other lodges to affiliate (dual membership) with this lodge . I will be taking over as Master next year and I am planning on turning into a TO style lodge myself . We are going to make it a lodge that does not focus on how to get more members , but a lodge that makes Masons , a lodge that teaches true Masonry , a lodge who's meetings are concerned with Masonic education , a lodge who dresses the part , walks the part and acts the part .

I even have some of the old heads backing me on this play .

What is a "TO Style Lodge"?

davidjones201

I never read a book, other than the bible occasionally, prior to becoming a Mason. Since I have amassed a library on my own accord. I definitely agree that all lodges should have an designated, (elected or appointed), education officer for mentoring lodge practices as well as guiding young Masons toward appropriate reading materials, etc...

T

Thestoat

hi

Reading this thread is one of the reasons I visit this forum every day.

My lodge only meets 4 times a year, we have no l of I, so sometimes it's a great source of knowledge for me.

It sounds like some of you really want to take things forward and keep things as they should be, if that makes sense.

A lodge building near me by the way has a Masonic coin from Texas dated 1976, some sort of commemorative thing, will get a picture when I go back in a few months

mrpesas

As a new mason, I have been a little disheartened by all the "paying of bills." But I keep telling myself, this is a journey, not a sprint. I will find my place within the lodge and make myself available when I can. I also seek out knowledgeable people to learn from.

Alhambran

Why do multipule lodges open several times a week each having 100 -800 members but only 5-15 show ?

I am not a Mason (struggling with the decision to join), but I would say that this is common in most every society or fraternity. My church men's group has about 300 members, but 50-60 show up for the meeting (where a meal and assorted beverages are provided), and of that 50-60 number, perhaps half that are behind the scenes workers and active to make the various events a success.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Great thread. And great links on TO lodges within it. I've got reservations about them, but I'll try to withold judgement until I've visited one. In a nutshell, my fear would be becoming more insular, compounding our long term numbers issues.

Last edited: