My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WV GL withdraws recognition of OH GL

H

Huw

Hi Squire.

When you're quoting, I think it's polite to attribute the quotation. In this case, it's from me.

So when the Grand Lodge of Minnesota recognized the Grand Lodge of France and many other American GLs started pulling recognition, you were on the side of the GL of Minnesota, right?

Certainly not, and on two counts. First, using the threat (or if necessary the reality) of de-recognition in a dispute which is itself about recognition is a proper use of the recognition system, unlike in the WV case where it's about internal administration. Secondly, GLoMN was dallying with an irregular GL, the GLdF, and that's a more serious offence with respect to recognition than that of which GLoWV has been accused. Other GLs really were prepared to cast GLoMN into the outer darkness forever and seek its destruction over that issue, unlike the GLoWV case (at least so far).

And when the Gl of Washington State- Upton - recognized Prince Hall in 1898 and many other American GLs pulled recognition you would say those pulled recognitions were wrong, right?

Yes, I would, although I find it understandable in the circumstances of that time. Those who pulled recognition (led by GLoTX, if I recall correctly) sincerely believed that GLoWA were trying to recognise an irregular GL (i.e. PHAoWA) and therefore felt the same as more recently in the case of GLoMN, but the difference is that in the GLoMN case the majority were correct that GLdF was (and is) irregular whereas in the GLoWA case the majority were wrong to believe that PHAoWA was (or is) irregular.

The late PGM Upton of GLoWA was a far-sighted man, a man before his time when he realised that PHAoWA are regular, and thank goodness most of the rest of us have now realised that he was right all along.

There has to be some sort of national agreement of what Freemasonry consists . We have such disparity between American Grand Lodges that not only do we confuse the public but we also confuse Freemasons.

That's very much easier said than done.

American Freemasonry is crying for an American identity.

You have an American identity, Bro. You invented rituals which are very different from the rest of the world (except insofar as some of the Canadians and a few other places have subsequently adopted rituals akin to yours). You also invented a racist form of masonry which is unknown in the rest of the world.

Perhaps your problem over there is too much American identity and not enough Masonic identity.

That can happen if state GLs will band together to forge an agreement on common principles without giving up any state sovereignty.

I doubt it's possible to do that. Your Conference of Grand Masters has always had the aim of working to common principles, and indeed that's a large part of its reason for existence. Most of the major principles have always been in place, and they're called Landmarks, although I agree that additional minor principles of lesser status are necessary from time to time to cope with evolving practical situations. Yet because of State sovereignty, you've proved time after time over two centuries that you're utterly incapable even of agreeing what the Landmarks actually are, let alone agreeing the minor principles. How much more proof do you need?

If you're ever going to make a serious effort to agree, then possibly the easiest way, and probably the most historically and masonically correct way, would be for all of you simply to adopt the existing statements of principles issued long ago by UGLE. But I'd be amazed if even a single one among the State GLs would agree to abandon its own jurisprudence and revert to ours. More likely, Americans with their fierce sense of independence would want to invent a whole new set of principles all of their own, deliberately different from the original principles (i.e. our principles) ... and so then we'd face the awkward question of whether genuine ancient freemasonry still existed at all in the US.

So it's too late, Bro., centuries too late. Agreement between all those different sovereign jurisdictions isn't possible, and the consequences of trying would probably be even worse than not trying. If you truly want to work from identical principles, you'll have to merge under one banner. But I can't see how you'd ever agree to that, there are far too many petty egos who enjoy being big fish in little ponds.

Those that refused to particpate the rest could pull recognition from or just refuse to call what they are doing Freemasonry.

Yes, you could do that, but consider the consequences.

In the first place, those cast out would nevertheless insist on continuing to call what they do Freemasonry, just as (for example) the Grand Orient of France continued (and still continues) to call its peculiar practices Freemasonry even though they ceased to be masonic 150 years ago.

In the second place, once alternative and irreconcilable systems have permanently separated, each regards the other's territory as open terrirory, and proceeds to set up its own Lodges (and eventually Grand Lodges) in the other system's territory. And the profance usually can't (or won't) tell the difference, so the sins of one besmirch the other in the public mind - we've had this problem in Europe with the Grand Orients ever since they went irregular, and believe me it's a huge nuisance in many countries.

Of course you had some of the same "invasion" problem with PHA in the US, but at least PHA (as is now realised) are not fundamentally irregular like the Grand Orients, and now reconciliation has proved possible (unlike with the GOs, with whom reconciliation is impossible).

Failure of Freemasonry to police itself could result in civil court action or federal government bureaucratic action.. And don't think for a moment that is not a possibility. Most Grand Lodges are civil corporate non profits and subject to non profit and corporate rules which take precedence over Masonic law.

Agreed. But if sovereign GLs insist upon exposing themselves to this risk, even this likelihood, then that's their own fault. It's a very serious problem, but the nature of sovereignty is that reform can come only from within, no matter how frustrating that may be for those of us on the outside. If the civil law is forced to step in by their pig-headed stubbornness, then so be it.

Parts of American Freemasonry thumbing its nose at civil rights, human rights and certain lifestyles could create a giant headache for the entire Craft.

Again agreed. And if it gets to the point where civil law rules against the practices of certain GLs, then that's probably the point at which everyone else must withdraw recognition. But in the meanwhile, we are obliged to give our Brethren the benefit of the doubt so far as humanly possible, whilst attempting to whisper good counsel in their ears. That's the fraternal way.

And what one jurisdiction does reflects on us all. The public - and future candidates - do not distinguish between West Virginia Freemasonry and California Freemasonry. To them it's all the same - Freemasonry is Freemasonry.

Yes. Just as the public and uninitiated Candidates could never understand the difference between State GLs and PHA (because their wasn't one, in principle), and just as the public and uninitiated Candidates continue to have difficulty understanding the difference between genuine freemasonry and what the Grand Orients do (even though that's a real difference).

The oddities of recent GLoWV behaviour, however, are not such as to cause a big impact on public perceptions. They've got into a dispute with a member whom they've expelled, and stand accused of seriously improper procedure in doing so, and of improper procedure in several related respects as well ... but all sorts of associations have that sort of problem all the time. It's a very important case to those of us within freemasonry, but that sort of dispute doesn't, in itself, attract much public interest. The additional allegations of racism which are floating around the periphery of the dispute certainly do attract public interest, but those additional allegations are not the issue in the forthcoming lawsuit.

The GLs whose behaviour is much more likely to affect public perceptions are those which appear more flagrantly and systematically racist. GLoWV has quite a number of black members in some of its Lodges, as Bro. Walters has pointed out in this forum (he being an example himself), and the racial problem there is the more apparently-local one of being allowed (or not allowed) to visit some of the other Lodges, not of the GL as a whole appearing to operate a racial barrier.

But we know it isn't. It should be but it isn't. Lincoln told us that a house divided cannot stand. Freemasonry divided cannot stand.

Oh, I dunno. For two centuries US Freemasonry stood divided between State GLs and PHA, and yet it still stands. And in the wider picture, Lincoln's words were fine-sounding rhetoric, but probably not true: if the Confederacy had won in the War Between The States, both USA and CSA would probably have been able to continue to exist as separate countries.

Those that say one jurisdiction doesn't mess with the affairs of another jurisdiction are the same Brothers who say - "but we always did it this way."

You're failing to make a distinction between those who say "we always did it this way" about the right things and those who say the same about the wrong things. Freemasonry is fundamentally defined by its Landmarks, and those who insist upon sticking to the Landmarks are right whilst those who reject the Landmarks are no longer Masons.

Fortunately, of course, racism in US masonry is not a Landmark. When American masonry first began under British jurisdiction, it was available to men of all races (as the famous case of Prince Hall himself illustrates). Therefore those who say "we always did it this way" in defence of racist practices are talking nonsense and can (and of course should) be opposed.

However, unfortunately for your argument, sovereignty of a GL is a Landmark - and one which is universally-agreed to be a Landmark, not one of those dubious and arguable additional "Landmarks" which some ill-informed writers have asserted. This limits the manner in which we can act upon our disapproval of what some other GL does, no matter how passionately we believe that they are misguided. We have no right at all to order another GL to do as we say. We can only advise, and they are not obliged to take the advice. Ultimately we can say whether or not we accept (recognise) them as being Masons at all, but that's a very blunt instrument, designed only for dealing with fundamental principles and not for interfering in case-by-case internal affairs.

Nevertheless, suppose that we finally lost patience with the behaviour of GLoWV and wanted to go down the de-recognition route, as you seem to want. From a UGLE perspective, I can see several plausible arguments under which GLoWV could potentially be declared irregular for breaches of Landmarks. The big problem is that I can't see any such argument which applies only to GLoWV - if we were to go that route, it seems to me that we'd probably have to de-recognise a large part of all US masonry, quite possibly even including your own jurisdiction. Maybe someone in the UGLE office is smarter than I am and can see an argument which would apply to GLoWV only. But otherwise, then I'm pretty confident that UGLE wouldn't want to go there ... and I suspect that most other GLs wouldn't want to go there either.

If you cannot work outside the box then you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Cheap words, Squire. When the box concerned equates to the Landmarks, I could equally say that if you cannot work within the box, then it is you who are part of the problem. We need practical reformers who will carefully and skilfully repair the faults in our temple of brotherly love, not wild-eyed anarchists who will put a bomb under the whole structure and blow it to pieces.

T & F,

Huw

Squire Bentley

Premium Member
Quick reply.

The Grand Lodge of France is not and has never been an Irregular or Clandestine Grand Lodge.

Basing Regularity on the Landmarks is not a good barometer of Regularity.. Some perfectly reputable Mainstream Grand Lodges do not have any Landmarks at all. Many only recognize a few. The GLMA recognizes 9. Few codify all 25 of MacKey's.

H

Huw

Hi Squire.

The Grand Lodge of France is not and has never been an Irregular or Clandestine Grand Lodge.

I wouldn't call them "clandestine", that's a word which doesn't mean quite the same over here as it seem to mean over there. However, GLdF are certainly irregular.

In terms of their internal practice with their own members, it does appear that they operate in a manner which might be argued to be fairly regular. There are some question-marks even about that, but the issue would at least deserve some consideration.

However, GLdF maintains relations with the Grand Orient and various associated bodies including mixed-sex and women-only organisations, including some inter-visiting. The GO is a totally clandestine body which has been admitting atheists for more than a century (and which has recently started admitting women as well!) - this is obviously not an organisation which regular masons can consider to be any sort of masons at all. Inter-visiting in tyled meetings with non-masons is blatantly irregular!

IF the GLdF were willing to sever its relations with clandestine bodies and clarify some questions about its internal practices, then it is plausible that it could be accepted as regular. But GLdF has made it explicitly clear that they will not distance themselves from the GO and other clandestine bodies, and therefore the question of being regular does not even arise.

Basing Regularity on the Landmarks is not a good barometer of Regularity.

Absurd. Measuring regularity is exactly what the Landmarks are for, that is their entire purpose, and they are essential.

Some perfectly reputable Mainstream Grand Lodges do not have any Landmarks at all. Many only recognize a few. The GLMA recognizes 9.

Nonsense. Every mainstream GL has Landmarks, without exception; it is impossible to be a regular GL without them, since they are by definition the measure of regularity. However, having Landmarks and publishing a list of Landmarks are not the same thing.

Certainly several GLs do not publish a list under the title of Landmarks, and that includes my own in UGLE - although we do publish our "Basic Principles for Grand Lodge Recognition", which is in essence a list of Landmarks (and includes 7 specific Landmarks, plus a catch-all clause referring to other uncodfied Landmarks).

North American GLs which don't publish a list of Landmarks nevertheless use Landmarks in practice for measuring regularity: the Conference of Grand Masters advises all of them on recognition issues, and their criteria for assessing a GL as acceptable are effectively Landmarks even though they don't actually use that word.

Few codify all 25 of MacKey's.

There have long been difficulties in agreeing an exact and comprehensive list of all of the Landmarks, although some of them are universally agreed. In fact, GLs very probably leave some vagueness in it deliberately, in order to give themselves a little flexibility and case-by-case discretion in judging regularity. This is analogous to the principle of "common law" in civil jurisprudence - it gives some room for common sense in particular circumstances, rather than trying to codify in advance everything which might potentially arise.

No GL anywhere pays serious attention to Mackey's list, which contains several items which are definitely not Landmarks. There are a few GLs which nominally adopt Mackey's list, but all of those recognise many other GLs as regular even though they don't follow various of those alleged "Landmarks", thereby proving that they're (correctly) not treating them as genuine Landmarks.

T & F,

Huw

jwhoff

Premium Member
Guess it's time to give the man his say.

Masonry Through the (Rearview) Looking Glass
By Frank J. Haas MPS

(expelled Past Grand Master of Masons in West Virginia, to the Philalathes Society in February, 2008. MW Haas received a standing ovation at the end of the speech.)

Thank you very much for your brave invitation. I know that there is some controversy about my being here. Some of you have examined your consciences about whether you should listen to me, break bread with me, shake hands with me, appear in the banquet room with me, stay in the same hotel as me, and where to draw the line. I respect that fidelity. I am hopeful that this will be only a temporary strain on our fraternal relations. I am honored to accept an invitation that I did not seek. I have the highest respect for The Philalethes Society, and I would not do anything intentionally to harm it.

I very much wish that the circumstances that brought us together might have been dispensed with, but I have gained a great deal of unsought notoriety of late. This Society exists to research problems confronting Freemasonry. I have a problem. Some say that I am a problem. I have been a Philalethes member for quite a few years. I can relate to you my perception and my recollection of what has happened recently to Freemasonry in West Virginia and to me, and I can offer my opinions on these events. I will tell you what happened—beginning at the end.

Listen to the Red Queen from Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. "No, no!" said the Queen. "Sentence first—verdict afterwards." "Stuff and nonsense!" said Alice loudly. "The idea of having the sentence first!" "Hold your tongue!" said the Queen, turning purple. "I won't!" said Alice. "Off with her head!" the Queen shouted at the top of her voice. Nobody moved.

In a similar fashion, the capital punishment of Masonry was meted out to me. Sentence first, verdict irrelevant, trial—well, details, details. I was expelled summarily by the Grand Master of West Virginia without a trial, without written charges, and without notice that my neck was in the noose. "Sentence first—verdict afterwards." To earn it, I did not even get the pleasure of stealing any money, messing around with any women, or sounding off with a temper tantrum. While I was watching a football game on a Sunday evening, I remember Grand Master Charlie L. Montgomery calling me to ask whether I would be in lodge the following evening. I said it was on my calendar. He said he "might drop in" to talk about the Oyster Night at the previous meeting of Wellsburg Lodge #2, where we hosted fifty Ohio brothers, including a surprise visit by the Grand Master of Ohio, the stalwart Ronald L. Winnett. When I walked into the lodge building on Monday, November 19, 2007, I thought it likely that the lodge would be complimented for its hospitality to two sitting grand masters. Little did I know that the lodge would soon be on probation and that expulsion edicts in advance had been researched, prepared, drafted, typed, and were soon to be read, expelling Richard K. Bosely and me, all, heartlessly, in the presence of my father.

I have been hurt by all of this, because I love this fraternity. I must guard against having my remarks today sound like nothing but sour grapes. Some unpleasant events happened. People ask me what happened. I tell them. They do not believe it and say it is impossible.

The Red Queen and Alice discussed such a circumstance in Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There. "I can't believe that!" said Alice. "Can't you?" the Queen said in a pitying tone. "Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes." Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Believe it. The reason for the expulsion: free speech. I have a sincere philosophical disagreement with Montgomery and his supporters. I believe that the grand lodge belongs to the Craft and that the brothers should decide grand lodge laws and policy with their open debates and votes, preserving always our eight Ancient Landmarks. We are not bound to look forever through a looking glass as a rearview mirror and never look at the present or toward the future. Montgomery wants no change ever, and anyone who wants any change should "go away."

Here is how I engendered such anger. Votes matter. In West Virginia, past masters have one quarter of a vote. According to the legend, I was elected to the progressive line of grand lodge officers by a quarter of a vote. You know that you must be cautious about secret ballots: those who know should not say, and those who say may not know. I am only passing on what I was told. I had served ten years on the Committee on Work with the custody of the ritual as Deputy Grand Lecturer. I became Junior Grand Warden, but some did not want me there.

As grand master, it became my frequent practice to address the brethren at lodge meetings, and I began to conclude my speaking on the level with a time of questions of answers. There were some recurring themes in the brother's questions, and these I decided to bring to the floor of grand lodge for consideration. Before grand lodge, I acted on three matters of business that needed no change but were compelling interpretations of existing language. Youth. We had one active DeMolay chapter in the whole state, at the time. We had only around a hundred Rainbow Girls. I talked to the youth and their leaders, and I learned that part of their problem was our grand lodge law. Our policies were actually harming kids. Our Masonic law requires us not to allow youth organizations to meet in the lodge rooms, no matter what the lodges want. Lodges cannot give any support to the kids. Lodges cannot donate a penny. Lodges cannot even permit the parking lot to be used to raise funds by a car wash, for example. When I learned that the application of these many prohibitions, which had slowly accumulated over the years, was hurting the kids, I concluded that it was never the intention of Masonic law to be harmful to them. I thought the brothers would want fast action, so I acted with a directive to help the kids, and I set the subject for discussion at grand lodge.

Summary reprimands. We had three brothers involved in two separate incidents. News reporters initiated calls to ask for facts about Masonic buildings, which they proposed to feature in their newspaper articles. The brothers answered questions about facts and figures, numbers and dates, and these resulted in large, beautiful articles with color photographs in the newspapers of the fourth and the fifth largest cities in the state. One headline on the front page of the Sunday newspaper was worth thousands of dollars in a public relations budget: "I knew they were just and upright men." However, the three brothers had not referred the reporters to the grand master, so he summarily issued written edicts of reprimand to be read audibly in all 140 lodges at two separate meetings. There were no trials. Sentence first. I entered an edict expunging the record because there was no constructive purpose to be achieved in having them continue.

As I prepared for the grand lodge session, I prepared a written agenda and had the various subjects of legislation distributed so that it went to the Craft with the proposals in their hands, in advance, in writing, to allow discussion to take place freely before the grand lodge session. This had not been done by a grand master for many decades, if at all.

The storm clouds began to swirl. I invited Brother Howie Damron to perform at the Grand Master's Banquet before grand lodge opened, and he sang, "The Masonic Ring" and other favorites. Some of my predecessors objected and were turning colors in anger, and I was then implored to attend a meeting of past grand masters. The place of the meeting changed without notice to me, and I finally found them at about midnight and was told that my predecessors and all of the remaining progressive line were of the opinion that my actions and proposals were illegal and had to be withdrawn, or I would face their wrath. They said I had violated the landmarks, the Ancient Charges, the ritual, the usages and customs, and my obligation—so I was told, and this could not go forward. I said that the brothers would indeed debate and vote, and I later learned that the statements about unanimity in the room were exaggerated.

The following day, grand lodge opened, and I reported my actions and opinions to the Craft. Prominent among them was an outreach I had made to the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of West Virginia through the Prince Hall Grand Master. Perhaps I went further than he would have liked, as I wrote him and telephoned him months earlier, and then visited the hotel of their grand lodge session, suggesting a meeting. For our grand lodge, I proposed language declaring it to be unmasonic conduct to refuse to seat a visitor to lodge if race was a reason, and it passed. On other subjects, the brothers voted to allow themselves the option to say the Pledge of Allegiance at lodge meetings. The brothers voted to allow handicapped candidates to petition.

We are the only grand lodge not to recognize or support the DeMolay, Rainbow Girls, or Job's Daughters. We are the only grand lodge not to be members of the Masonic Service Association. We are the only grand lodge not to belong to a regional conference of grand masters. We are the only grand lodge to order the Scottish Rite not to perform one of their degrees, the Washington/Arnold 20th degree. The result? I am proud to say that the brothers voted not to persist in remaining a minority of one. The brothers voted to change these things.

By their votes, the brothers repealed an assortment of legislative state-wide restrictions, piled on over the decades, for specific, temporary reasons, by Masonic legislators. Dean Roscoe Pound in Masonic Jurisprudence observed, "Having no bills of rights in Masonry and hence nothing beyond a handful of vaguely defined landmarks to restrain him, what then are our barriers against the ravages of the zealous, energetic, ambitious Masonic law-maker? Legal barriers, there are none. But some of the most sacred interests of life have only moral security and on the whole do not lose thereby."

The brothers in West Virginia voted to assert their moral security and to repeal bans of books, bans on films, and bans on slideshows, some implemented nearly fifty years ago for important reasons, apparent then, to deal with a moment in time. Royal Arch Chapter charters had been ordered to be removed from the walls of lodge rooms, but the brothers voted to allow them. Other art in a lodge room that included Masonic symbols or emblems other than the Blue Lodge had been prohibited, such as Scottish Rite or York Rite emblems or a tapestry hung on a concrete block wall, but the brothers voted to allow it—including portraits of local Past Grand High Priests and Past Grand Commanders, of whom they are justly proud.

The West Virginia brothers were forward-looking and voted to do what they thought was right. There was jubilation at the passing of the Wheeling Reforms at grand lodge in 2006. That lasted for a matter of days. Then we returned to the rearview looking glass, the rearview mirror, as the ballot was declared illegal by my successor. The vote was scorned. In my opinion, the best word to describe what is now happening as a result is: repression.
Since the Wheeling Reforms were struck down, we have heard it said that, although race is not a legitimate factor to use to exclude a qualified visitor, wink-wink, the Worshipful Master has the duty to preserve the "peace and harmony" of the lodge. So, promote peace and harmony, but, wink-wink, do not consider the race of the visitor, wink-wink.

Did you lose a thumb while fighting for your country? Which one? The left?—sign here on this membership petition. The right? We have ancient usages and customs, and we cannot put up with your kind.

Do you want a Masonic funeral? Your grandsons are prohibited from being pall bearers unless they are all Master Masons. You must explain these Masonic laws to your widow so that we do not have to leave her sobbing in the funeral home. There is no problem if you want your remains to be cremated. However, if you want your ashes to be scattered, it is "undignified" and we must walk away from your mourners, because if anyone knows that the lodge is present as a group, we will be reprimanded, again.

If youth organizations are having problems, their problems are not our problems, so be extremely careful if you try to help the kids. If our deceased brother's obituary mentions his request that, in lieu of flowers, memorial donations should be made to a hometown hospice, which comforted and cared for him on his deathbed, then the proper action of the lodge is … send the flowers, because such charity is forbidden. We will not join the Masonic Service Association, as every other grand lodge in North America does, because it is soft on Prince Hall and they will send their publications and Short Talk Bulletins to our members without our control. We will not join the Northeast Conference of Grand Masters or any other such conference because they have ideas that conflict with our laws and mostly because those other grand lodges recognize Prince Hall Masonry.

Friends, I am proud of the Wheeling Reforms. They were distributed so that the Craft had them in their hands, in advance, in writing, most of them for the first time in their lives. We debated until the brothers voted to end debate. We voted on the merits. The Wheeling Reforms passed. They lasted—until the stroke of a pen. Dick Bosely politely but persistently sought and was denied answers about this, and because he took a little bit too much time to sit down and shut up, he was instantly stripped of his title as Deputy Grand Lecturer and two weeks later was summarily expelled, and his alleged offense was committed in the presence of the Grand Master of Ohio. I engaged in free speech saying, as quoted by Grand Master Montgomery, "the dream lives on and will not die." Now I am left without free speech and without Freemasonry, but I still have the dream.

For my dreams, I have sustained the maximum Masonic punishment—expulsion. It hurts. It hurts a great deal. I hope that it is temporary. In another feat of Orwellian double think, my detractors have extended their hatred further by deleting my name from the website list of Past Grand Masters of West Virginia and throwing it down the memory hole. The Craft in West Virginia is a resilient bunch—Montani Semper Liberi, Mountaineers are always free. They are unsure of what to do and how. They want to do the right thing—and do that thing right, but those who would continue the repression have the upper hand for now. I do not have a call to mobilization to outline for you. I am on the outside now. Your brethren in West Virginia have voted to do what they think is right. By their votes, they made a positive statement about race relations in the fraternity. By their votes, they tried to help the kids. By their votes, they welcomed the handicapped into the Craft. By their votes, they were in favor of patriotic expression in the lodge. All for naught. We are one large fraternity divided into grand lodges. What happens to us reflects upon you. What happens to one group of your brothers affects the whole. We lecture about Masonry Universal. Search yourself, my brethren. You may find yourself with an opportunity to help, aid, and assist—not me—but your worthy brothers in West Virginia in ways, large or small. Will you go on foot and out of your way for them? You may be able to speak the truth to power. As Lincoln counseled, be on the side of the angels. Will you encourage, nourish, and cherish your brethren in the state with the second highest per capita Masonic membership with your concern and your prayers? If for nothing else but your concern and your prayers, the brethren of West Virginia will thank you, Masonry Universal will thank you, and I thank you for sticking your necks out for Freemasonry.

H

Huw

I certainly agree that most of what Bro. Haas was trying to do was right in intention. However, in the interest of fairness, it should be pointed out that the argument is not wholly one-sided.

There are two separate aspects to the original issue, one being the reforms brought in by Bro. Haas and their subsequent reversal by his successors, and the other being the expulsion of Bro. Haas himself.

On the aspect of the reforms themselves, take a look at the actual edicts and rulings overturning much of what Bro. Haas did, as for example here http://masonic-crusade.com/index.php?op=ViewAlbum&albumId=1&blogId=1 on the website of Bro. Haas's own supporters, who have very honourably published the arguments from the "other side" as well as their own arguments. Several of the arguments from Bro. Haas's successors as GM of WV are actually quite well-argued and rational, and contain a serious case that Bro. Haas failed to follow correct masonic law in various of his own edicts, as well as fairly genuine-looking concerns about whether the vote for the Wheeling Reforms was correctly conducted. I therefore think they have a pretty defensible case for over-turning what he did. Now that doesn't mean I approve of the outcome, but I do think they have some justification for their actions. What I'd rather they had then done (but which they conspicuously didn't do) after over-turning Bro. Haas's rulings, would have been to bring back the same reforms by correct procedure, to achieve the results which Bro. Haas originally intended (except on the age limit, where I disagree with what Bro. Haas wanted to do).

On the other aspect, however, I see nothing in these arguments from Bro. Haas's successors which offers any justification for expelling him without due process. When that part comes to court, I'll be surprised if Bro. Haas doesn't win ... and I note that it is over this issue (and not over the reforms) that Bro. Haas is fighting in court. This may be because he realises that his successors have a legal defence for the over-turning of his reforms and would probably win in court on that part of the argument.

An interesting point about both sides of this argument is that it all comes down to what is (or is not) within the power of a GM to do. Bro. Haas's successors can justify over-turning the reforms because some of the edicts and rulings issued by Bro. Haas as GM exceeded his legal authority. Yet Bro. Haas can probably over-turn his expulsion in court because his successor's denial of due process was also beyond a GM's legal authority!

T & F,

Huw