My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

300th Birthday

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Today we celebrate the 300th birthday of Freemasonry in its Grand Lodge form. However, I understand that some disagree as to the actual date. Any comments?

GKA

Premium Member
Today we celebrate the 300th birthday of Freemasonry in its Grand Lodge form. However, I understand that some disagree as to the actual date. Any comments?

No one can dispute the date of the formation of the GLE, however, there is a small amount of evidence which strongly suggest that freemasonry started prior to 1717, at least in some limited form and in my opinion, it depends upon how you define Freemasonry, is it personal? or fraternal? or both, these questions are at the root of the debate on just when Freemasonry started, regardless, we live in the present, and freemasonry is what it is today, not what it was in 1717

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
No one can dispute the date of the formation of the GLE, however, there is a small amount of evidence which strongly suggest that freemasonry started prior to 1717, at least in some limited form and in my opinion, it depends upon how you define Freemasonry, is it personal? or fraternal? or both, these questions are at the root of the debate on just when Freemasonry started, regardless, we live in the present, and freemasonry is what it is today, not what it was in 1717
I've seen the minutes from 1599. Clearly, if the GL was formed, there had to br lodges to form it. Further, the Grand Lodge at Westminster did not first seek to govern lodges outside London.

Reactions: GKA

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Actually, it is in dispute. It's being further researched now, but apparently the evidence is pointing to 1721.

I was waiting on 1721 to show up. That's why I believe a symbolic date serves our purpose just as well as an actual date. Granted the symbolic one needs to at least make some sense ;).

If we just throw caution to the wind I say we go for March 5th, 7 as our symbolic date. :D

GKA

Premium Member
Since the UGLE staes that they were founded in 1717 on their own web site, I will take date over anything the dummed down version has to offer.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Since the UGLE staes that they were founded in 1717 on their own web site, I will take date over anything the dummed down version has to offer.
Quator Coronati and Dr Prescott are not usually considered dumbed down. You must indeed work in rarified heights.

GKA

Premium Member
Quator Coronati and Dr Prescott are not usually considered dumbed down. You must indeed work in rarified heights.

My reference was to "Freemasonry for Dummies" of which I am obviously not a fan, the work of Dr Prescott is good work, but inconclusive, where the above publication states that it is conclusive that the Grand Lodeg was formed in 1721, which is at the least, an over statement since Dr. Prescott makes no such claim.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
My reference was to "Freemasonry for Dummies" of which I am obviously not a fan, the work of Dr Prescott is good work, but inconclusive, where the above publication states that it is conclusive that the Grand Lodeg was formed in 1721, which is at the least, an over statement since Dr. Prescott makes no such claim.
Hodapp used a question mark. It was Mark Tabbert who made the declarative statement.

Reactions: GKA