My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

300th Birthday

GKA

Premium Member
I did not intent to imply that the ritual was the reason or source of the inscription, however, the inscription is specific as is its use in the ritual, it is not beneficial to debate which came first, but, within the context of the discussion, a blanket statement like that made by Cooper is at least brazen, even if he is the local expert.
I wonder if I could get away with making such a statement?
Probably not.

GKA

Premium Member
As I recall, I have traveled down this road before, and I do not like where it goes.
All are free to believe what they wish and justify it as they need.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
This is against my better judgement, but here goes,
Please explain how something can be part of a masonic ritual and yet, not be masonic?
And I do not mean the use of individual words
A hat is worn by the fielders in a baseball game, that does not make it all hats with a bill in the front "baseball" hats. Just because a story was borrowed from the bible due to its lessons taught doesnt make it masonic. Ecclesiastes is used in my Jurisdictions for the 3rd degree, its not Masonic...its biblical with a lesson taught within that degree.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
....Please explain how something can be part of a masonic ritual and yet, not be masonic?
And I do not mean the use of individual words

Corn, Salt, Oil & Wine and different combinations of the same often used in Masonic Dedications.... that does not make dinner at a Mexican Resturant or the Last Supper a Masonic function..... all or some of the ingredients might be common, but that does not make the dish the same not signify they're even being used in the same kitchen!

GKA

Premium Member
Corn, Salt, Oil & Wine and different combinations of the same often used in Masonic Dedications.... that does not make dinner at a Mexican Resturant or the Last Supper a Masonic function..... all or some of the ingredients might be common, but that does not make the dish the same not signify they're even being used in the same kitchen!

I completely agree with you on this point, however, the inscription is specific as is its use in the ritual, a bit more than just common ingredients as I see it

Bloke

Premium Member
I completely agree with you on this point, however, the inscription is specific as is its use in the ritual, a bit more than just common ingredients as I see it

I was fascinated with Rosslyn for a time as a Masonic artifact but lost interest because many 'Masonic' elements were common to other traditions and because the chapel was used as primary evidence of theories which seemed weaker when u looked closely, remove the chapel as prima facie evidence and they fall over...

Was the line originated by Freemasonry or just incorporated into it ? (It's probably from an order I'm not a member of)

Reactions: GKA

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
"Historical facts do not explain themselves. They need to be placed in proper relation to one another so that a patter can emerge. The chronological order of events needs to be established. For example, the automobile was invented in the late nineteenth century. The Interstate Highway System was built beginning in the 1950s. Without knowing the order of these two developments, we would not be able to explain the building of all those highways."

A Student's Guide to History by Jules R. Benjamin 13th edition, page 5

Last edited:

GKA

Premium Member
I was fascinated with Rosslyn for a time as a Masonic artifact but lost interest because many 'Masonic' elements were common to other traditions and because the chapel was used as primary evidence of theories which seemed weaker when u looked closely, remove the chapel as prima facie evidence and they fall over...

Was the line originated by Freemasonry or just incorporated into it ? (It's probably from an order I'm not a member of)

I never intended to imply that the inscription proves a link between the chapel builders and Freemasonry, but, it is interesting that both groups found that inscription significant, in that fact alone, there is a clue to the early stirings of our fraternity.

Bloke

Premium Member
I never intended to imply that the inscription proves a link between the chapel builders and Freemasonry, but, it is interesting that both groups found that inscription significant, in that fact alone, there is a clue to the early stirings of our fraternity.
Thanks for the clarification.