My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An allegorical history lesson

Companion Joe

Premium Member
(all quotes are fictitious and made up for the sake of the story)

Late in the Revolutionary War when every colony was roiled in controversy and divided on one side or the other of the contemporary political landscape, the people who lived west of the Appalachian Mountains in the Watauga Settlement - the area which would ultimately become Tennessee - were minding their own business. They preferred to be left alone to conduct their business as they saw fit. However the rest of the country conducted its business was fine with them, too.

Finally, the British issued an order that the future Tennesseans must declare for one side or the other. The response was, "We aren't interested in your politics. You do your thing the way the majority of your citizens see fit, and we'll do the same. Mind your own business. You really don't need to be taking a stand when you don't know the whole story of what we've got going on."

The British commander, Major Patrick Ferguson, then issued an edict that if the future Tennesseans didn't immediately declare that they would bow to political pressure and join the wave of the minority Loyalists' will, he would start hanging people and lay waste to their homes with sword and fire.

The future Tennesseans decided it was time for them to get into the national debate. They gave Ferguson an answer at the battle of King's Mountain. They completely annihilated the red coats, including killing Ferguson himself. Then, they went back home and minded their own business for the remainder of the war, just as they had requested in the first place.

The moral of the story: when outside influences start issuing orders and making threats to Tennesseans, you turn fence sitters and folks who really don't care one way or the other into enemies, and the result you get is not the one you want.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Are there Tennesseans being threatened or being issued orders by some outside influence?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
As u stated in am earlier post there are always two sides to the story. I also said that in an earlier post and stated that GLs have more to worry about. hopefully brotherly love will prevail

Sent from my LG-D415 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

CLewey44

As u stated in am earlier post there are always two sides to the story. I also said that in an earlier post and stated that GLs have more to worry about. hopefully brotherly love will prevail

Sent from my LG-D415 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Just not too much brother love, right? ;) lol

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Just not too much brother love, right? ;) lol

Conflict.JPG

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
The moral of the story: when outside influences start issuing orders and making threats to Tennesseans, you turn fence sitters and folks who really don't care one way or the other into enemies, and the result you get is not the one you want.

So much for post #70 in "Shots Fired" being your last post until after your annual communication.

Last edited:

Companion Joe

Premium Member
So much for post #70 in "Shots Fired" being your last post until after your annual communication. There is another story that goes it ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun.

That meant my only post on that particular thread/topic. If there was some confusion, I apologize for not being clear.

At no point did I mention Freemasonry in my post in this thread, nor did I mention the other thread. I was merely giving historical insight into the Over Mountain Men and the Battle of King's Mountain.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
That meant my only post on that particular thread/topic. If there was some confusion, I apologize for not being clear.

At no point did I mention Freemasonry in my post in this thread, nor did I mention the other thread. I was merely giving historical insight into the Over Mountain Men and the Battle of King's Mountain.

Gotcha

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member

Any allusion to reality is merely coincidental... ;)