Choosing Your Mark

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by KSigMason, Sep 21, 2013.

1. MaineMason

MaineMason Registered User

Got mine, though it has not my mark on the other side, ours goes in the book. Looks, however, like one side of mine.

2. onthesquare

onthesquare Registered User

Although some of the uses of your mark are traditional,others are very practical. Read the reason for the penny that others have mentioned and how the mark relates.

3. Ed Nelson

Ed Nelson Registered User

I'm in the process of choosing my mark right now.
    After the Mark Master degree, the Secretary showed me the book of marks, and I see some brothers have gone waaaaaay overboard with their marks...intricate, stylized designs od pictures and symbols that could never be chiseled into a stone.
    I am leaning toward something very traditional and simplistic. If I needed to chisel it, I could do it in 4 strokes.

BroBill and KSigMason like this.
  4. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I am about to enter the YR and wanted to know....do you pick your mark from examples that are shown to you or can you simply make one of your own?

5. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

You make your own, as it should be unique.

6. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Yep, your mark should be unique. It is YOUR mark.

7. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Mine ended up being a tad intricate, but that's okay. I don't intend on using it to mark much stonework. ;) it is representative of myself and I can reproduce it, that's all that matters to me.

8. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Mine's very simple, horizontals, right-angles, and perpendiculars. I had also used it as an identifier for years before I became a Mason.

9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Thanks for the replies brothers.

10. Willaim Perkins

Willaim Perkins Registered User

At our York Rite meetings, it is mandatory for the members to have their coin on them as we do a "Mark Check" under 'good of the Order'. Failure to have it with you results in a $1 fine.

NY.Light likes this.
  11. Pscyclepath

Pscyclepath Premium Member

Mine is my Dad'sbrand, from the old days when he used to run a few cattle. As others have noted, it;s right angles, horizontals and perpendiculars, incorporates our initials, and isn't too hard to carve ;-)

Share My Freemasonry