My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diversity

Bloke

Premium Member
That has always been my issue with GL'S and brothers that claim PHA is clandestine due to multiple GL'S being in one state. What other option did PH have other than to form their own GL ?

If there is one thing which is completely clear about Prince Hall, is that the record shows he was regularly initiated. The irony of the whole emergence of the Prince Hall System was it was born because that Irish Lodge which initiated him thought he was a man worthy of Freemasonry.

I applaud by Black Brethren for doing their own thing - every Grand Lodge was formed doing exactly that... I forgive the (white) men who stood in his way. I'm pleased that PH GL's who keep the landmarks are now in Amity with most GLs. Being of white skin is not a Landmark of Freemasonry, equality is.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
If there is one thing which is completely clear about Prince Hall, is that the record shows he was regularly initiated. The irony of the whole emergence of the Prince Hall System was it was born because that Irish Lodge which initiated him thought he was a man worthy of Freemasonry.

I applaud by Black Brethren for doing their own thing - every Grand Lodge was formed doing exactly that... I forgive the (white) men who stood in his way. I'm pleased that PH GL's who keep the landmarks are now in Amity with most GLs. Being of white skin is not a Landmark of Freemasonry, equality is.
Well said my brother. A lot your southern jurisdictions (PHA) that keep the ancient landmarks are not in Amity with their counterparts, but like I've heard so many times "times are changing" I hope to see that change in my life time. I'm still young so I pray I see that change before the good Lord calls me home.

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I will say this for the record though, you'd be surprised how many brothers are against the "way it is". Both GL brothers and PHA. I have met some really good GL brothers that would have given their shirt off their back to help me and same for me. It's up to the individual mason to decide whether he agrees with the way things are. I was anti segregation before I became a freemason and I will be that way until I die. It took me awhile to understand why more brothers aren't speaking up against it. Some are afraid of being black balled and some understand that they have a better chance of changing it from within by staying under the radar.

Last edited:

Bloke

Premium Member
Imagining... one of the problems would be, and it remains today, is there a difference between "equality", "human rights" and "politics"? If non-political intervention and even prohibition on political discussion is a landmark (which I think *is* a good thing because we look for unity not division in freemasonry) , and something like segregation (to pick an issue) is being couched in politics, where does that leave lodges and Freemasonry ? I can understand something like the Grand Orient of Italy fighting the Papal States in the 1800's because the issues were not just political, they were seen as ones of human rights and Freedom. We all know the answer I guess, we need to act as individuals and keep Freemasonry the hell out of politics, and politics the hell out of Freemasonry, but our values of freedom and equality are guiding principles and when something like racism arises, it needs to be addressed in lodges, regardless of what's happening in the wider world because not to do so makes us hypocrites, but not also acting in the outside world, perhaps that also makes us hypocrites ? A toughie... But again, we come back to the truth that Freemasons should be able to hold and act on their individual political views, but just can't espouse them in a lodge or under the banner of Freemasonry because (regular) freemasonry is a-political. Look through a list of Famous Freemasons to see the diversity that proves this..

I'm hardly a political activist, but I certainly have been a social one... the visible absence of Freemasonry in social reform makes me wonder sometimes, but by the same token the values we share must drive some great men to affect change.. I guess Freemasonry can only do what it does - support the disadvantaged and needy through charity. Some might call that benevolence, some might call it charity, but another might couch it in some form of political terms rather than how we do - charity, benevolence and justice.

I always go back to the virtues, prudence, temperance, fortitude and justice being the cardinal, and the theological, faith, hope and charity (the latter not just being about $$$ but also charity of spirit). I always end up on Faith, Faith that all will be well because despite the problems I perceive, it's all in God's hands, but I always like to know where I'm supposed to give His work a nudge...

Back to Prince Hall, one of the issues for the men in of the day was that Colour was not even seen in terms of race for some, it was seen as an issue of Human and Sub-human, where some would even debate if Africans had a soul.... We (fortunately) completely reject such thinking today .... Fortunately we are more enlightened now, but that needs to be reflected in our conduct of today. It's why lodges I an in are so "diverse", I dont even see them as such - just full men who happen to be from difference places and sociological origins and who speak different languages..

Last edited:

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Well said my brother. A lot your southern jurisdictions (PHA) that keep the ancient landmarks are not in Amity with their counterparts, but like I've heard so many times "times are changing" I hope to see that change in my life time. I'm still young so I pray I see that change before the good Lord calls me home.

Since each grand lodge is sovereign, they can decide which landmarks to use to some degree.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
They have changed. Not fast enough, but they have and will continue to do so. There was a time when none of the Southern GLs recognized the PHA counterparts.

AndreAshlar

The lack of diversity in my lodge is driven by the fact that those who've knocked have been an almost racially monolithic group. My jurisdiction is much more diverse than what's reflected in my lodge.

PHAmily!

I have freind that spotted a mason. The mason was a white guy my friend black he was told to go prince hall was this Racist? Any thoughts!

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
The "white" brother might have saved him some head ache. I would say, if the brother knew he had no chance of getting in, he done the right thing by directing him to a lodge that would accept him and make him feel welcome. Nothing wrong with that. I have lead brothers to different lodges as well. Not based on race but personality and culture.

Bloke

Premium Member
I'm working hard to try to support a couple of military lodges here, but I've never been in the military. I support these lodges because of the important traditions they hold and their rich history. Prince Hall is kind of the same, it has a rich and distinct history which will only live on if it has members... me, I'd send brothers where they were needed.