My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Lodge of Belgium suspends relations with Grand Lodge of Georgia (USA)

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 12:40 AM
To: 'GLRB-RGLB'
Subject: Suspension of recognition of the Grand Lodge of Georgia

Grande Loge Régulière de Belgique
Reguliere Grootloge van België
Regular Grand Lodge of Belgium

Brussels, March 8th, 2016

TO ALL GRAND LODGES IN AMITY

WB Grand Secretary,

The Regular Grand Lodge of Belgium has suspended its recognition of the Grand Lodge of Georgia (USA).
Please find attached the text of the declaration of suspension.

We also inform you that we are asking questions to the Grand Lodge of Tennessee concerning its intentions during its coming annual communication on the 23d and 24th of March, to change its disciplinary code regarding the articles on homosexuality and cohabitation outside marriage.

This mail has been sent to all the Grand Lodges in amity.

Yours fraternally,

Daniel Bauwens

CLewey44

These lodges have to move forward. I'm sorry. It's just truth. It's a shame too for the Masons of GA that don't agree with the move and that want to visit around other lodges but now can't. All in the name of intolerance. Masonry is not supposed to favor one religion or political stance over another and now they've made something they should have never even made an issue, an issue. Not to mention, they've revealed their stance on this issue politically it seems, which to me, is a huge Masonic 'no-no'. Worrying about what others are doing, and in a way, dictating it's members lives (gay brothers specifically) is not the role Masonry should ever play in our lives. A man's relationship with GAOTU is his own business.

This could, too, hurt membership if our institution is viewed in a negative manner and I hate to see that.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
...Masonry is not supposed to favor one religion or political stance over another and now they've made something they should have never even made an issue, an issue. ....

And yet, we have Christian GLs; GL's which require a belief in the divine authenticity of the Bible; GL's which prohibit Communists; GL's which prohibit a belief in the overthrow of the government; GL's which require you to agree to support and defend the US Constitution...

CLewey44

And yet, we have Christian GLs; GL's which require a belief in the divine authenticity of the Bible; GL's which prohibit Communists; GL's which prohibit a belief in the overthrow of the government; GL's which require you to agree to support and defend the US Constitution...

I'm sure there are Christian GLs, not supposed to be based on basic Masonic principles, as Masonry is supposed to be fairly universal. There are several lodges in Turkiye and Phillipines and I doubt they have a Bible open inside them; especially Turkiye. GLs that prohibit Communism are probably in country's that have had issues with Communism in their pasts and it goes against that country's current political system. (Devotion to country) Same with overthrowing the government. These things have a direct effect on millions of people. This gay issue has nothing to do with Masonic principles really nor on the general population. Does it go against Christianity? Some may say so and others won't. But so does a hundred different things that men 'shouldn't' be doing. You shouldn't cherry pick the Bible and apply it to your GL doctrine in my opinion.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Texas requires on its petition for the degrees a belief in the US Constitution and the divine authenticity of the volume of sacred law. http://grandlodgeoftexas.org/assets/uploads/2015/10/26.pdf

Kentucky forbids those who believe in the overthrow of the government.http://www.mastermason.com/mckee/newpetition.pdf

Oklahoma requires a belief in the one true and living God, prohibits support of the overthrow of the government, and requires that one support the Constitution and agree to defend it. http://www.gloklahoma.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/petition2011.pdf

Florida asks if you believe in the one ever living and true God. It also prohibits a belief in the overthrow of the government. http://grandlodgefl.com/docs/GLF_Forms/GL 601 Petition for the Degrees.pdf

Last edited:

Randy81

Premium Member
I feel no sympathy. These southern GLs continue to allow bigotry. "Let's all blow up over sexual orientation but let's keep racism hush hush."

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app
My thoughts exactly! I'm not saying I agree with the decision of GA or TN but did any of these Grand Lodges stand up to any sort of racism or anything else? Additionally, do you really think that GA or TN care that these Grand Lodges are doing this? I'm sure everyone in the South are just heart broken about what California thinks about them. I don't think sexual orientation should matter, but like @Travelling Man91 said, you can't act all righteous about one thing and ignore the other!

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Furthermore, they are throwing out Christian biblical explanations as to why they don't want a homosexual man to be a freemason. But can't can't explain why they discriminate against a man based on his race. I'd like biblical explanations on that issue. I say hypocrisy at the most high. Again, I don't believe either GL cares, but maybe this will shed some light on how Southern GL operate in hatred. If they do decide to see the light, I hope they change because they want to become better men, not just please the craft and get the heat off of them.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
My thoughts exactly! I'm not saying I agree with the decision of GA or TN but did any of these Grand Lodges stand up to any sort of racism or anything else? Additionally, do you really think that GA or TN care that these Grand Lodges are doing this? I'm sure everyone in the South are just heart broken about what California thinks about them. I don't think sexual orientation should matter, but like @Travelling Man91 said, you can't act all righteous about one thing and ignore the other!

The difference is that they put it in writing. They (GA) voted on it. There is nothing written prohibiting men of certain races from joining to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

alterian

A while ago a lodge let in men of color, wasn't the GL of GA thinking about pulling their charter. Wasn't there emails exchanged? It was some how written, wasn't it about to go to court?

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
The difference is that they put it in writing. They (GA) voted on it. There is nothing written prohibiting men of certain races from joining to the best of my knowledge.
It doesn't have to be "written". It's called an "unwritten" rule. Actions speak louder than words. It's not written due to the fear of law suits. Look at how many brothers have petitioned or attempted to petition and was turned away. GA is coming along slowly, TN not so much

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
It doesn't have to be "written". It's called an "unwritten" rule. Actions speak louder than words. It's not written due to the fear of law suits. Look at how many brothers have petitioned or attempted to petition and was turned away. GA is coming along slowly, TN not so much

It makes a big difference. It is very simple to prove discrimination when they put it in writing? Much more difficult when it is not.