My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you read the entire Bible?

Have you read the entire Bible?

• Yes

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • No, but working on it

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • No, my VSL isn't the Holy Bible

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 25.0%

• Total voters

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
yea, put it on the back of my toilet and read a few pages a day for a long while. after a while, was done with the old testament. was surprised how it seemed how fast the thing went.

ShadyGrove821

A number of years ago, I tried to slog my way through the King James Version. The 400 year old English is pretty, but rather difficult for me to follow.

I did some research on later English translations, and chose for my Old Testament: The Jewish Study Bible.
http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Study-Bible-Publication-Translation/dp/0195297512
Somewhat different from Christian Old Testaments, and containing copious footnotes. A real education for me.

For my New Testament reading, I chose the Holman Christian Standard Bible.
http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Holman-Christian-Standard/dp/1586400681

It took me over three months to make my way through, but I'm glad I persevered.

MikeMay

Premium Member
I have several times. I don't attempt the King James anymore, it gives me a headache with all the Thee's Thou's and thus's...I use the New International and the New American Standard Versions for my studies...

Martin O

I have but I'm enjoying using an iPhone app called "bible" it allows me to flip between many different translations on the fly and allows me to set notations

jwhoff

Premium Member
I've been all over it. And, with the help of Cecil B. DeMille, Charlton Heston, Yul Brenner, Mel Brooks and others, I suspect I've covered 98 percent. Spend a lot of time in Sunday School in the old days. Have also delved into other sacred texts as well. My commit would be that yes, the King James version does appear to have fallen from favor. It's noticeable too. Candidates have a very hard time with the centex of the KJV: especially when you mix it with Texas SPEAK.

post script:
Thanks too to Disney and others for converting many of the Vedas to adventure stories along the way.

Last edited:

bgs942

Premium Member
Blue Letter Bible has a great iPhone app as well. I have to say I still prefer the KJV but these days the giant print edition of it. LOL

fairmanjd

I actually have an affinity for the King James. Probably because its what I grew up on. My favorite Bible is my 1611 Edition King James Version. The old language imparts a certain feeling of reverence to me.
The way I see it though, the best version of the Bible is the one you'll read.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I actually have an affinity for the King James. Probably because its what I grew up on. My favorite Bible is my 1611 Edition King James Version. The old language imparts a certain feeling of reverence to me.
The way I see it though, the best version of the Bible is the one you'll read.

Gentlemen, I suppose we are all aware that the KJV was edited by a brother mason. I think I'll throw a poll at you to test your skills.

tom268

I have never read the book from cover to cover, but I work much with biblical texts in my masonic books, and I surely have read all parts of the bible in parts. I usually use the Luther Version of 1984 or the catholic german standard bible, as our ritual contains several phrases taken from pseudo-apocryphics like Book of Wisdom or Jesus Sirach (Ecclesiasticus).

Last edited:

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I have read it cover to cover many times. My grandfather was a preacher so it was a day-to-day part of my life growing up. I still have a love of the King James Version and use it most of the time but our Church has leaned toward the NIV. I use Bible Gateway on my iPhone and online. It has just about any version you could dream of in just about any language, and they also can include the Deuterocanonical (Apocrypha) books.

Beathard

Premium Member
I voted yes under the assumption you meant the current canon of the bible. I was a theology major in college and read many additional books that are not approved by one of the organized churches. Luther removed 7 books. The catholic church removed many more. Some theologians believe there are as many as 600 books belonging to the early bible. One of my favorites is Solomon's Book of Wisdom. I also enjoyed studying the 14 books of the Apocrypha.

Jacob Johnson

I've read the bible cover to cover several times. I used to want to be a pastor, and spent much of my time reading the bible. The first few times I did it cover to cover, but tbh, you get bogged down in Genesis that way. several times i used the "bible in a year" type of programs, and more recently I've spent time with a parallel translation of the Torah in Hebrew and English. My goal is to eventually learn enough hebrew, greek, and latin to read as much of the bible from the early texts as possible.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I've read the bible cover to cover several times. I used to want to be a pastor, and spent much of my time reading the bible. The first few times I did it cover to cover, but tbh, you get bogged down in Genesis that way. several times i used the "bible in a year" type of programs, and more recently I've spent time with a parallel translation of the Torah in Hebrew and English. My goal is to eventually learn enough hebrew, greek, and latin to read as much of the bible from the early texts as possible.

I had an older friend back in Lake Charles (LA) who did the same. He eventually received a DD degree with a specialty in Greek, of all things. Of course, he was well versed in Hebrew and Latin as well. Anyway, his desire was to read the Bible in its purest form ... without all the hoopla and translation errors. Surprise, he said much had been twisted over the years, cultures, and translations. Most unintentional, but misinterpreted nevertheless.

Last I hear he was in charge of a non-demonational ministry for the poor in the Lake Charles area.

Anyway, he got there from here. If one struggles long enough, light will develop.

These are the guys who ruin opportunities to make lots of money for the rest of us selling differences as opposed to our agreed upon beliefs. To top it all off, these folks prove most of our spats are about misinterpretations anyway.

Go figure!

Last edited:

Bro. Bennett

Premium Member
Anyway, he got there from here. If one struggles long enough, light will develop.

To top it all off, these folks prove most of our spats are about misinterpretations anyway.

Go figure!

I have read the Bible many times in my quest for LIGHT, and for my studies in the ministry. I too have read many of the "lost" or left out books that did not make it into our modern book. With the study of these additional texts, the KJ, along with several other translations, one can have a much broader understanding of the purest Biblical meanings we should apply to our lives.

I highly suggest the Broadman Holeman Christian Standard Bible for those wishing to use a modern interpretation of the KJ bible.

May you all find Light in your daily journey...