My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Met a mason today

Bloke

Premium Member
is that for the outter and inner doors only or also the gavel knocks at opening and closing?

All knocks. Here, you knock once to get folks attention (and the SW & JW answer with 1 knock), but otherwise you "give the knock of the degree" unless it is an alarm... but that's a secret :)

dfreybur

Premium Member
Cool difference.

On the door I gave and heard the same sequence of knocks for all three degrees. It wasn't until I joined an appendent body that I heard a different knock sequence.

Gavel hits tend to be called whacks in my jurisdictions. I'm not sure if that's a formal or informal name. The number of whacks is different for each degree but the order is not. In some jurisdictions the pedestal officers whack once per cycle and it goes around in a circle the number of times for that degree. In other jurisdictions each of the pedestal officers does the number of whacks for the degree all at once then it proceeds to the next pedestal officer.

The whacks also mean who stands or sits. In all of my jurisdictions one and three whacks mean the same thing but there are differences as to what two whacks mean - All pedestal officers, pedestal officers not already standing, in one jurisdiction I visited it meant all collared officers.

Bloke

Premium Member
Cool difference.

On the door I gave and heard the same sequence of knocks for all three degrees. It wasn't until I joined an appendent body that I heard a different knock sequence.

Gavel hits tend to be called whacks in my jurisdictions. I'm not sure if that's a formal or informal name. The number of whacks is different for each degree but the order is not. In some jurisdictions the pedestal officers whack once per cycle and it goes around in a circle the number of times for that degree. In other jurisdictions each of the pedestal officers does the number of whacks for the degree all at once then it proceeds to the next pedestal officer.

The whacks also mean who stands or sits. In all of my jurisdictions one and three whacks mean the same thing but there are differences as to what two whacks mean - All pedestal officers, pedestal officers not already standing, in one jurisdiction I visited it meant all collared officers.

LOL - we will tell an officer to whack his gavel if he forgets... they've have nothing to do who and when we sit and stand - that's all done with verbal ques...

Reactions: MBC

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
All knocks. Here, you knock once to get folks attention (and the SW & JW answer with 1 knock), but otherwise you "give the knock of the degree" unless it is an alarm... but that's a secret :)
It was one of the hardest things learning Emulation knocks after experience in Preston Webb.

And don't even ask about Chapter.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
is that for the outter and inner doors only or also the gavel knocks at opening and closing?
When the WM declares the Lodge opened, then SW and JW followed the knocks. Same as Closing.
Also the Tyler will gives the knocks for any alarms(the people outside do not have that degree) and reports(the people outside have that degree working in the Lodge).
So the Three Principal Officers(WM, SW, JW) knock their gavels and both Guards (IG, Tyler) knock on the door.

By the way, all side degrees have different knocks... too

Same - our ritual is basically Emulation with a few variations...
Ah Most workings that I have read use these knocks... I think it is common practice in Anglo-Freemasonry?
(Emulation, Universal, Oxford, Bristol, Scottish, Taylor, Logic... etc etc)

Bloke

Premium Member
I was speaking to an Australian Aboriginal about approaching an initiation site and he said that he warned the spirits by stamping. He then stamped the EA knocks.

Some folk have made a lot of that sort of thing and there are some interesting articles on it. There are some similarities, including columns, but at the end of the day, I think early European writers heard secret meeting where an initiation ritual was practiced and the made some jumps on logic rather than fact. Still, Australian Aboriginal Initiations are on one level a mystery school.

What's interesting is although I've found "aliens" (Chinese particularly) in Regular Freemasonry in the 1800's, I cant really find Aboriginals.... part of the problem is they adopted Western Names. There is a claim Pemulwuy was a Freemason, but again, I think it is people reading of a "secret initiation" and applying Western Masonic (false) Logic

Bloke

Premium Member
When the WM declares the Lodge opened, then SW and JW followed the knocks. Same as Closing.
Also the Tyler will gives the knocks for any alarms(the people outside do not have that degree) and reports(the people outside have that degree working in the Lodge).
So the Three Principal Officers(WM, SW, JW) knock their gavels and both Guards (IG, Tyler) knock on the door.

By the way, all side degrees have different knocks... too

Ah Most workings that I have read use these knocks... I think it is common practice in Anglo-Freemasonry?
(Emulation, Universal, Oxford, Bristol, Scottish, Taylor, Logic... etc etc)

I think so, but like most in Freemasonry, you will always find exceptions.

Bloke

Premium Member
Is it JSM Ward who provides a photo of Aboriginals using white wands to make an arch for the candidate - just like in HRA?

Not sure, but yes, I've seen a pic like what you say, but I would say constructing a triangle of canopy over a person/people in a rite is hardly restricted to Freemasonry...

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Oh I got one from the movie young guns the next brother I see with the S&C I'm going to walk up to him point to the S and say is that the tool used to kill H.I.B can I touch it??? Lol

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Oh I got one from the movie young guns the next brother I see with the S&C I'm going to walk up to him point to the S and say is that the tool used to kill H.I.B can I touch it??? Lol
Oh man. You wanna talk about starting something lol. Especially if he is an old mason