My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patience

michael john

On October 1st I submitted my petition, paid my dues and was interviewed. Now I received an e mail today with the secretary asking why I didn’t put down references. I was told during the interview that I didn’t have to put any down. It’s 3 weeks and I feel as if there’s not progress that has been made. Is this regular or am I impatient?

CLewey44

On October 1st I submitted my petition, paid my dues and was interviewed. Now I received an e mail today with the secretary asking why I didn’t put down references. I was told during the interview that I didn’t have to put any down. It’s 3 weeks and I feel as if there’s not progress that has been made. Is this regular or am I impatient?
Sounds like not everyone was on the same page and a communication breakdown. The guys that said not to fill that in were either misinformed or assuming which we all know what that can do. I'm sure it was an honest mistake and they will never be in as big a hurry as the petitioner.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I just see other posts and see how fast they get accepted and receive their first degrees.

Thank you all for your responses.

The absolute soonest between submitting a petition and being voted on is one month. It's almost as common to take two. And that doesn't count taking a few months to get to know a candidate enough to know if he is sincere. All of this slowness is deliberate for many reasons and all of us remember being in a rush when we were going through the process.

If it's on the form, fill it out. What someone says never outranks what a form says.

Keith C

Totally normal.

This "Interview" was it prior to your petition being submitted? If so, the recommend who had you fill out the petition were in error if they did not have you fill it out completely. The petition reaching the Secretary incompletely what he really should have done was kick it back to the first line signer to get him to get you to fill it out fully. Calling you directly was above and beyond his duties and he was doing you a favor and likely trying to get everything in order for the petition to be read at the next stated meeting. If he had not done this it would have delayed the process a full month. So instead of impatience try to see it as a favor that is actually expediting the process.

Keith C

One lunar month here, 28 days.

Ours is one Masonic Month. Meaning the time between monthly Stated Meetings. The petition must be read and a Committee of Inquiry appointed at a Stated Meeting and the Petition can not be balloted until the following Stated Meeting at the soonest. We do not have more than one Stated Meeting a month.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Ours is one Masonic Month. Meaning the time between monthly Stated Meetings. The petition must be read and a Committee of Inquiry appointed at a Stated Meeting and the Petition can not be balloted until the following Stated Meeting at the soonest. We do not have more than one Stated Meeting a month.
It's the same under GLoTX.

Bloke

Premium Member
Impatient. At a minimum it will take 3 months to join here, with Dispensation from the Grand Master to ballot and initiate at the same meeting, without that it generally takes at least 4 months. I had a beer with a Entered Apprentice on Thursday, he applied in Dec 2017 and was Entered in May 2018. Our next applicant started in May 2018 and will not become a Freemason until this December. Others are right - esp if the lodge is meeting once per month - there is a monthly cycle.

Here, I cannot ballot for you until I have received four written references as to your good character - so my suggestion is just be patient and supply the info the Secretary asks for...

Lightlife

Site Benefactor
Premium Member

Relax, the process takes time. In my jurisdiction the petition must be read at the next stated communication (which may be as much as a month if you submit right after a stated) and an investigating committee appointed. The soonest a vote can be taken is at the next stated communication (another month) provided that the investigating committee has completed the investigation and returned a recommendation. Masonry is a family and we don't adopt members lightly.

dfreybur

Premium Member
That is certainly the rhetoric and intent but unfortunately it is not always practiced....

I've met plenty of families that are more dysfunctional than our own Brotherhood. My expectations are attuned to those experiences. But I was raised in a pretty good family and have been to pretty good lodges so my hopes are attuned to those experiences.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member

So depending on the month that might be either 4 or 5 weeks because nearly all lodges meet on a specific day of the week like "First Tuesday unless that falls on a national holiday, then second Tuesday". Or "Last Friday unless that is when Grand Lodge is in session, then second last Friday". Given the details of those statements it's remotely possible for a "lodge month" to be 3 or 6 weeks if you are careful enough to pick the wrong month.