My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three lesser lights.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Ok ive been in many lodges and also have seen many pictured of the three lesser lights which are places IATPATA.

Problem is, ive noticed the third in some lodges to the right and some to the left.

I would say it was a setup mistake but all of them are hard wired so its where it goes.

Now i know the correct way they should be!

Anyone else ever notice this?

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: GKA

BroBook

Premium Member
Interesting, I had a problem with them appearing to be to far north, but left or right it still forms that triangle, the difference could lay in the ancient vs modern thing?

Levelhead

Premium Member
No ive been in only F&AM lodges and saw this.
I first noticed because I am practicing to put on an entered apprentice degree from the east when I went to a different lodge i was practicing from the east I pointed towards the lights when I pointed towards the third light there was nothing there it was on the other side! Lol i stopped and was like soooo somethings wrong.

I checked my floor work book and know what the correct way is.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Every jurisdiction is different, but lodges within a single jurisdiction should all be the same.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Some US grand lodges require a uniformed set up. But some don't. In Alabama (were I became a Mason) the lights are next to the alter on the N and S sides. When I visited in Mississippi the lights were all on the S side.

I visited a lodge in DC (http://fiatlux1717.org/) and the lights were directly in front of the stations (Bro. Cook this may be familiar to you). But not all Washington DC lodges have the same set up. The grand lodge of DC allows lodges to use different rituals so long as they are recognized Masonic rituals and not something you thought up last Tuesday.

It's not the placement of the lights but the alignment so to speak that conveys the message. That's at least my understanding, more educated brothers please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
The arrangement will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction... because each GL is entitled to do things their own way ;-)

One excellent reference that I've been using is Bro. Robert G. Davis' "The Mason's Words: The History and Evolution of the American Masonic Ritual," (Guthrie, OK, Building Stone Publishing, 2013). Davis goes into the arrangement of the lights and how they're set up in some 12 arrangements. Even traveling through lodges here in Arkansas, I've noticed that some lodges have different arrangements within the same jurisdiction, depending on just who assembled the altar.

Some are hardwired into the altar, others are portable. Ours are portable, since the OES and Rainbow borrow the meeting room and have their own setup arrangements. Our Lodge's arrangement is pretty much by the ritual, and explained therein, but in part of the unwritten words, so I will be circumspect...

Erickson Ybarra

I was told the lesser lights are arranged around the altar according to which degree they open in. I'm just an EA so I haven't seen other arrangements yet...could be wrong.

dfreybur

Premium Member
And btw these lights are hardwired into the ground this way!

I've seen at least one lodge where the socket in the floor was in the wrong place. I guess it is safer or more convenient to place the trio of lights where the plug incorrectly is than to run a cord around the altar risking a trip.

I've seen lodges with the lesser light all having separate pedestals. I see in very many illustrations that the candles are literally placed around the altar but every lodge now seems to cluster them together. I get the impression that someone tripped over a pedestal with a candle and set off a fire, then lodges all over the country switched to a safer arrangement.

Levelhead

Premium Member
My floor work book shows how it IS AND SHOULD BE for the entire district. But some lodges i guess are just wrong lol

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I was told the lesser lights are arranged around the altar according to which degree they open in. I'm just an EA so I haven't seen other arrangements yet...could be wrong.
Under GLoTX, Lodges have the option of arranging the LL according to the degree in which they are opened or in what one could call the "standard" arrangement.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Interesting. As a relatively new MM (one year this month) I have visited numerous lodges (in my state only) and the LL were all arranged the same.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Under GLoTX, Lodges have the option of arranging the LL according to the degree in which they are opened or in what one could call the "standard" arrangement.

So far all of the degrees I have attended in Texas have used the standard arrangement. I look forward to seeing this local variation at some point.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
So far all of the degrees I have attended in Texas have used the standard arrangement. I look forward to seeing this local variation at some point.
San Marcos Lodge was the sponsor of the resolution requesting the option. You might plan a visit there.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Our state has them placed E, S, W of the altar specified at a 3-4-5 distance. Ours are brass pole lamps (if you think about one without a shade) about 3 feet tall. We use the S&C bulbs. They have to be portable (our altar is also on rollers) because so many different bodies meet in our building.

Canadian Paul

In all the lodges under both jurisdictions here the lights are placed in front of the pedestals of the Master and the two Wardens, not around the Altar. In most there is a bit of elabourate floorwork by Senior Deacon in lighting or extinguishing them as needed as the Lodge is Opened, Passed, Raised, Reduced and Closed.