My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I too believe in the sovereignty of each GL. That doesn't mean the GL may not be criticized for racism

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Bro cook, have you seen a EA in another jurisdiction that was allowed to travel freely as a master mason would ?
Perhaps not as freely, as he has neither dues card nor GL certificate in the GLs with which I am familiar. Further, he could not attend lodges meeting in the higher degree.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I had never heard that question, nor had many of the Brethren here (except on this forum).

The only place I have ever heard the word grandmother in a Masonic context is on this forum.

In some jurisdictions, you may do so upon initiation

California and Illinois - An MM may vouch for and bring an EA or FC as guest to another lodge in the same jurisdiction, but not across jurisdictions.

Texas - EAs and FCs are issued special dues cards identifying them as such. This allows them to visit other GLofTX lodges when tiled on the appropriate degree. I have seen visitors who are there to watch degrees. I don't recall if they had to come with an MM to vouch for them.

The Masonic world outside of North America never did change away from Stated meetings in the EA degree. I take it in many world jurisdictions EAs and FCs are welcome to visit other lodges after following whatever the local protocol is.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
In Cheshire, the Province formed a group to encourage EA and FC to travel. They came to Sentinel when I was Master

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Texas - EAs and FCs are issued special dues cards identifying them as such. This allows them to visit other GLofTX lodges when tiled on the appropriate degree. I have seen visitors who are there to watch degrees. I don't recall if they had to come with an MM to vouch for them.

As I was recently (within the last year) an EA & FC in Texas, I am not aware of any dues cards until after you are raised. EAs & FCs are generally advised not to travel to other lodges unless a MM from their lodge accompanies them. They couldn't sit in lodge anyway unless it was opened up on their degree.

BroBook

Premium Member
That's not the rule in my jurisdiction
Brother Cook my point is you don't teach strangers, and I am not really concerned with differences in jurisdictions, I would like to focus on what unites us into one band of brothers, but I am just a dreamer, dreaming dreams of how good and pleasant it would be, if .........

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Okay I see. You know at the core of recognition, some of it has to do with racism. For instance, I ran into a mason front Alabama, I then preceded to tell him I was looking forward to the day that we all see each others as brothers. You know what he said, he stated "that will never happen, Prince Hall stole the knowledge by hiding in lodges and watching what the masons did and took it back and taught other guys." Although we know history tells us different, say I was a guy that had no ideal about the history of Prince Hall, I would have believed what he said. Also, more brothers are saying history, but no one is saying do any way any GL, just mutual recognition and visitation would be a sign of progression in today's time.

BroBook

Premium Member
Brothers, I have a copy of a pamphlet, that was giving to me by my SW because he knows that I like to study, it is called " Masonic CATCH-E-KISM Some Old Masonic Catch Questions and some new ones with Answers" printed by Macoy Publishing & Masonic Supply Co., Richmond, Virginia. So I am sure that even if "PRINCE HALL" uses them we did not create them. Here is one of the silly questions: What great lesson do you learn from your master?

The answer is equally silly: To circumscribe myself and keep passion within due bounds. Now that's some male cow manure there for watch your step!!!

Last edited:

BroBook

Premium Member
Traveling Man91 I dare say, am glad people were/are racist, because if it was not for racism there would be no irregularly formed Grand lodge called Prince Hall for us to be affiliated with, I dare to say that as of the present day there are States that would have no masons of color.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Tired of people allways using the racist card.

These days the white man is the new slave in america. Prince hall is very racist.

Yes this crap needs to stop but the only way it will is if we stop using the race card.

Let brotherly love prevail and let every social and moral virtue cement us.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

These days the white man is the new slave in america. Prince hall is very racist.

Yes this crap needs to stop but the only way it will is if we stop using the race card.

Are you serious? If you think race has nothing to do with this, you need to get a clue.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

Please elaborate on how Prince Hall is racist and what is the effect of such racism. Does it affect whether a mainstream grand lodge is recognized by the UGLE?

Levelhead

Premium Member
It works both ways. Not one side is more guilty. That needs to be accepted before any progress is made.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
It works both ways. Not one side is more guilty. That needs to be accepted before any progress is made.

Wrong. One side has way more leverage in the states where Prince Hall lodges are not recognized and that is the senior grand lodges which are the mainstream lodges. It's their way or the highway.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Brother Cook my point is you don't teach strangers, and I am not really concerned with differences in jurisdictions, I would like to focus on what unites us into one band of brothers, but I am just a dreamer, dreaming dreams of how good and pleasant it would be, if .........

Well, your first point was "No sir I think my point was why have ways to recognize each other if they are only used in a tyled lodge, now on the other hand the only place they should be taught is in a tyled lodge."

And I indicated that was not the rule for my jurisdiction: we need not teach the modes of recognition only in a tiled lodge. When you indicate a blanket rule and then state you aren't concerned about differences in jurisdictions, you give the impression that your rule is the only rule. I really don't think that's what you meant.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

And that's how you get brotherly love to prevail?

Levelhead

Premium Member
Both sides just put the past behind them, move forward towards the same light.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Brothers, I have a copy of a pamphlet, that was giving to me by my SW because he knows that I like to study, it is called " Masonic CATCH-E-KISM Some Old Masonic Catch Questions and some new ones with Answers" printed by Macoy Publishing & Masonic Supply Co., Richmond, Virginia. So I am sure that even if "PRINCE HALL" uses them we did not create them. !!!

If you are replying to my comment, I did not indicate that PHA either created or are the only ones to use challenge questions. I indicated I had only heard challenge questions referred to by the book title of Catch E Kisms by PHA.