Who wrote the first three rituals.

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Center, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Center

Center Registered User

The first three rituals are for me, as student the most amazing ones.
    I read and meditate them since years and they always surprise me for their deep meaning.
    Who was the original author of them? Anderson with some other fellows?

And how is experimentally true that the Royal Arch ( that has in my opinion the same insightful meaning of the first three degrees) was inclusive of the Master Degree.

2. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

The rituals have slowly been worked on over time with things added and things removed.
    In the beginig it was only two.

Center likes this.
  3. David612

David612 Registered User

Read up on Preston and webb, besides being interesting guys of their own accord they both have a lot to do with ritual

dfreybur likes this.
  4. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

At least, for most of the USA jurisdictions. Not so much in other areas, were others playwright combinations were involved.

Glen Cook and David612 like this.
  5. David612

David612 Registered User

I just assume the vast majority here are USA based, personally I’m in Australia :)

6. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Center, Glen Cook and coachn like this.
  7. coachn

Good assumption! ;-)

8. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>Who was the original author of them?

Three working tools per degree can be seen in the Mithraic lodge - along with a 7 rung ladder with a star at the top.

Raising with the lion's grip comes from Egypt - as does the Widow's Son.

>...Royal Arch ... was inclusive of the Master Degree.

The triple grip seems to come via Sumer - along with the relevant word - but the vault is recent Scottish - hence the Latin text.

Center and Warrior1256 like this.
  9. Center

Center Registered User

Thank you very much all of you for your precious contributions. The rituals of the Craft are almost not human for their beauty, wisdom and force.
    I will definitely buy the book of Robert Davis, it looks really clear-sighted from what I can see. Great reading for the Christmas period vacation Also I was thinking about reading again the famous Duncan as starting point, but William Preston and T.S.Webb look fantastic, I read them only in small portions so far.

Your interventions were really pertinent to me, furthermore just to quote one, @JamestheJust brought forward indirectly an essential question in my opinion regarding the rituals:Is more important the cultural reference that presented for the first time a symbol, or is a successive "modification" even more meritorious as insight? This is a question not easy to reply and make central the continuity and the importance of an association as the Freemasonry in the world.

Dear Friends, almost certain that the light will keep always shining in the darkness, my best wish is that the winter solstice may bless you your temple three times

CLewey44 likes this.
  10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Good info!

11. JamestheJust

>Is more important the cultural reference that presented for the first time a symbol, or is a successive "modification" even more meritorious as insight?

It may be inaccurate to assume that the originals were symbolic. My limited observation is that the ancient rituals were literal. In modern times we lack the spiritual technology and thus perform imitations.

12. JamestheJust

From an Isaic initiate:

"Understand that I approached the bounds of death, I trod the threshold of Proserpine, and after that I was ravished through all the elements, I returned to my proper place; about midnight I saw the sun brightly shine; I saw likewise the gods celestial and the gods infernal, before whom I presented myself and worshiped them."
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/pr/pr09.htm

This is partially reflected in the strange answer given to the modern question about the sun always being at its meridian with respect to Freemasonry.

The account also illumines the nature of the ancient raising.

13. coachn

Not really. You might want to do your due diligence on all this before you accept what was provided.

MarkR and Warrior1256 like this.
  14. coachn

religion_smart.jpg

Kenneth Munn, tldubb, Center and 5 others like this.
  15. Warrior1256

Very true, but with most questions of this nature I will find multiple answers anyway.

16. Bro Asad

Bro Asad Premium Member

Macoy of Macoy publishing.

17. BullDozer Harrell

BullDozer Harrell Registered User

I haven`t heard much about Anderson and his involvement with assisting to frame early English masonic ritual. In fact this is the 1st time i`m hearing it.

I remember Anderson and the early English Constitutions.

Sent from my SM-T377P using My Freemasonry mobile app

18. coachn

Darn Bro.! How old ARE you? ;-)

19. Warrior1256

***snicker snicker***

20. Center

Center Registered User

@JamestheJust
    Thank you very much for your link, the edge between symbolic and literal is one of the most complex to disentangle.
    I went trough your interesting link with the Herodotus quotations.
    The dispute about how sacred texts have to be read is still present today. For instance as I chosed to be part of a rosicrucian fringe order, I agree to partake to a current of thought that would like to see the bible with symbolic meanings that overweight the literal ones, but still today you are going to find a lot of students (more o less catholic) that will defend the literal aspect.

For instance I start to independently give credit that Isis could be more o less identified with the Holy Ghost in the Christian trinity. But would open another post for that.

Most of the ancient rites were literal and using drugs and sex. But still the archeoastronomy showed some wisdom that suggested a much more articulated symbolic system. The thoughtfulness of thinkers as Plato when mentions the pythagorean methaphors (for instance a perforated cup to contain the passions), put forward for consideration the ability from the ancients to use the symbols. Much-debated have been in the modernity the structuralist french studies of Vernant and Levi Strauss about the importance of the symbols for the ancient Greeks, how the polymorphic meanings of the deities, namely a no unilateral interpretation makes these symbols so important to us, because open to several interpretations, this is also a masonic principle as far as I spoke in some lodges, where there is not a dogmatic meaning for a particular symbol.
    Said that, all the roots of the religions are in really literal rituals, where the female fecundity, as in Artemis, Potnia Theron, Diana, Cybele is all a recall with enrichments of the more simple Paleolithic and Mesolithic themes of big breasted females. So still you could see in some documentary, modern men from "civilizations without the writing techniques" that were inserting their erected penis into the ground as way to have prosperous harvests, as to sustain the fact that initially the literal part, the sun and the nature were playing a role much more practical than esoteric.
    But the point that even some masonic authors miss at my advice is that outside the external manifestation of astronomic phenomena the role of corrispondence between micro and macro cosmos play an important role in the mystery, I read Know thyself on the entrance of some Lodges I visited after all.

@BullDozer Harrell
    the famous 1717 Goose and Giridon story comes from Anderson second edition of the constitutions. The problem is that the sources he quotes are not always reliable, and also he was putting is point of view. With these premises I would not be surprised that Anderson wrote/elaborate them together with other enlightened minds. These are the years where the landmarks are taking a substantial form, far before the categorizations will see a century after from Albert Mackey. But mines are only speculations, as I would like to shed light on who wrote the rituals as written in the title of this thread.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

Share My Freemasonry