Why do we start a perambulation with our Left Foot?

Discussion in 'Masonic Education Repository' started by Rinesh Hegde, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Rinesh Hegde

Rinesh Hegde Registered User

Why do we start the perambulation with our left foot. I have been asking this question for quite sometime but never got or found any answer.
    In Hindu culture, when we enter a Temple we always step of with our right foot so I am not sure if there are any religious significance to this?

2. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Maybe militaristic? In drill and ceremonies in the military you always step off with your left foot.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256 and Rinesh Hegde like this.
  3. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Only thing, off the top of my head, I can think of is in the MC of the FC degree and the B and J pls? The first one being on the left obviously alludes to the EA degree which is the first degree or first step. Something like that? I'm sure I'm totally off there but just came to mind.

BullDozer Harrell and tldubb like this.
  4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Stepping off with the left foot comes from ancient Egypt where a wax image of Apep (evil serpent god) was trampled under the left foot - in imitation of the widow Isis.

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...ritual wax image stepped on left foot&f=false

The Heru referred to appears in Masonry as Hiram

This image also comes in the Book of Revelation with the woman treading on the head of the serpent with her left foot.

Also Vishnu treads on a serpent with his left foot.

Rinesh Hegde likes this.
  5. Rinesh Hegde

Rinesh Hegde Registered User

Thanks all, I found this paper that provides some insight on why we start the perambulation with our left foot and as mentioned by James The Just has some details about ancient Egypt too... haven't read it completely need to go through it. For the benefit of other brethren here is the link for the same.

https://sites.google.com/site/pittmacorg/foot-forward

Hope this helps others who are searching the answer.

6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I'd always been told that we start on the left foot, because historically the left side (including left hand) is associated with evil, starting on the left foot symbolizes stepping in evil - but I've never done any research on it ....

7. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

In one particular Qabalistic group, the left pillar represents darkness and severity called the pillar of Hermes while the right is bright and mercy called the pillar of Solomon. We are supposed to sort of take the middle road or middle pillar. I guess when taking any journey it begins with one single step and Masonically speaking that first step would be in darkness or the left.

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This is what I would think.
    Cool! I'd never heard this.
    Also interesting.

Rinesh Hegde likes this.
  9. JamestheJust

The trampling also appears in English and Scottish 3rd degree rituals where the king of terrors is trampled underfoot. While the king of terrors is commonly thought to be death, it is unclear why death is on the ground and willing to be trampled. A close reading of the Book of Job may cast some light.

Rinesh Hegde likes this.
  10. BullDozer Harrell

BullDozer Harrell Registered User

The question sits on the fine line of what i'm ready to discuss too much in a public forum.

But it might have something to do with what the left side in Masonic symbolism represents?

Sent from Android using My Freemasonry mobile app

Zack and Warrior1256 like this.
  11. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

This made it easy for me to remember.

Warrior1256 and Ripcord22A like this.
  12. Warrior1256

Yep!

13. Luigi Visentin

Luigi Visentin Registered User

I think you are right.

14. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

And why would the military start on the left foot ? If your right, you're observing the lineage of a tradition, not it's reason.

15. JamestheJust

The same with placing the EA in the NE corner. Why is the foundation stone placed in the NE? Easiest corner to find?

16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

You have an opinion on this ?

17. Luigi Visentin

Luigi Visentin Registered User

There is not an explanation, but it is possible to make a guess: as mainly persons are right-handed, that is main weapon is kept with right, the fight position usually is with the left foot in front. Clearly is only a guess but it is similar to the explanation why since Roman's time people riding kept the right side on the street, even if more accurate research says that the real habit should have started in XVIII century at least for chariots. However while I was writing this post I found a curios similarity: Roman soldiers and gladiators used a protection on the leg called greave. Often they used only one greave on the same side of the shield to protect the only exposed part. As the shield was mainly kept with the left, the greave was usually on the left leg. The right was basically "naked", in the sense that it had no protection.

18. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

That's and interesting new spin. Thanks :)

19. Warrior1256

This IS interesting!

20. BroCaution

BroCaution Registered User

Great topic brothers.

Share My Freemasonry