Why is the north a place of darkness?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by pointwithinacircle2, May 15, 2015.

1. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

It's as good a theory as any.

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Joseph Campbell offered up, in his "Power of Myth" "and "Transformations of myth through time", that the North was a place of unknowns and to go there when you wanted adventure and much needed change. He cites many mythologies, such as the native Americans, that had this "North" theme within their tales.

3. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>to each of the four kingdoms of Nature spirits

There are lots of 4s that can be found.

If you remember your physics, electric charge accumulates on the sharpest points (corners) and radiates from those - hence tassels placed on the corners. (Carpets have tassels on the sides)

It is better then to consider the 4 rivers of Eden and they in turn are a veiling of the 4 "rivers" from the center of the galaxy as recounted in the Mayan tradition.

Thus we see that the Masonic temple is galactic in its dimensions. What then is the work of the MM?

Each "river" has a different quality. For example the reference signal is the NE. The flow appears to me silvery like Al foil

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Bloke likes this.
  4. JamestheJust

Who among the brethren pursues the genuine secrets?

5. Pointwithinacircle3

Pointwithinacircle3 Registered User

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing no wind I'd favorable" Or to answer you more clearly, if I am unsure of what the genuine secrets are where shall I seek them?

LK600, dfreybur and Bloke like this.
  6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Who's to say what they are ? ... but I like Point's response..

7. JamestheJust

>if I am unsure of what the genuine secrets are where shall I seek them?

It is a good question but not difficult for those that accomplish the work of the FC

8. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Well said.

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

We have lots of meaning. Some are genuine secrets to me. Others are genuine secrets to you. Seek within.

10. Pointwithinacircle3

Pointwithinacircle3 Registered User

If I am unsure of what the work of the FC is how shall I accomplish........ Oh well, let's just leave that for now and assume that anyone who has heard the ritual understands it. But, even so, I find an intetesting comparison to flying an airplane. One can comprehend all manner of knowledge about takeoffs, controlling in the air, and landing an airplane. However, whether this knowledge can be translated into an actual flight is highly questionable.

As the recently elected SD of my Lodge I am studying this material quite intently at this time. If I struck by enlightenment I shall let you know.

LK600 likes this.
  11. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

I Understand your dilemma and can, in some aspects relate. Whether there's 1 meaning or 50, knowing where to start is required; everything else is just fluff. I wish you well on your journey my Brother.

12. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

But only after they have first accomplished the Work of the Apprentice.

To earnestly believe you can accomplish the FC Work without first doing the Apprentice Work is to believe the intellect can be trained while harnessed to an untamed heart. Those who encourage others to do so are snake oil salesmen who market and sell harm to those who believe them.

BTW - The genuine secret IS the training, bringing order to chaos, of the heart and the head, in that order. Anyone who tells you, implies, hints, and alludes otherwise does not know what they are talking about and is trying to sell you bovine output.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Warrior1256 likes this.
  13. JamestheJust

>I am unsure of what the work of the FC

The FC is told that he may study the hidden mysteries of nature and science. In the local Scottish passing, the new FC is told that 3 times. To be fair, it took me 20 years even to understand what that means.

And of course to tackle the work of the FC it is necessary to be proficient in the work of the EA - right relationship with oneself, the brethren, humanity and the rest of Creation. That is quite a long task, certainly more than the few months that brethren remain EAs

14. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

Deep. good stuff. Masters at work, preach Brothers, Walk around that Square...Love it...

15. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

There are no windows on the north side lol !

16. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Agreed!

coachn likes this.
  17. Jason Pooser

Jason Pooser Registered User

Read your EA lecture, the temple was so far north, and as the lodge is a representation of the temple or the world, therefore the North is a place of darkness.

rob357 likes this.
  18. JamestheJust

>therefore the North is a place of darkness.

Except in midsummer when the sun shines 24 hours a day in the far north

19. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

It shines all day during the summer not just midsummer in the far north.

20. JamestheJust

So we are agreed that the North is not the place of darkness for most of the year.

And since Freemasonry is universally spread across the surface of the Earth, it must exist in the southern hemisphere, where the North is the place of light.

There must be another meaning.

Share My Freemasonry