My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Ring

How do you put on your ring, up or down e.g. the S&C?

• Up

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Down

Votes: 70 60.9%
  • Don't use one

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters

jhodgdon

Wingnut said:
points toward the tip of my finger... but actually mine is a tattoo.

You gotta post a pic of that!

I wear mine compass points toward my fingertip. I guess it doesn't matter either way.

Bogey08

Premium Member
I wear my ring with the points of the compass toward me. That was taught to me by the Brother that originally sponsored me in the lodge.

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
Not sure what 'up' and 'down' meant... I wear my ring with the open compass toward my hand. In fact, this is how we're 'directed' to wear it in the GL of NC.

Kenneth Lottman

Timothy Fleischer said:
There is no "proper" way to wear the ring.

"Masonry and The Mason," a Texas GL publication, has a passage on the ring.

The ring is not what makes a man a Mason. His behavior is what does it.

In that pamphlet is a brief explanation about how a brother could wear his and why he might wear it that way. Wearing it with the points of the compass pointing toward the end of the ring finger could be done when we want others to know we are Masons. This is typically how I wear mine. Wearing it with the points of the compass pointing toward the base of the hand could be done when we want to remind ourselves of our obligations and that we belong to the Fraternity. I do this when my thoughts and actions are less than stellar, as a reminder that I am a good man trying to a better one.

No matter what, a ring, a bumper sticker, suspenders, ties, hats, pins. fancy aprons or elaborate officers' jewels don't make any of us Masons. The obligation makes us a Mason.
Tim Fleischer
Salado Masonic Lodge #296

Very Well said!
I do believe every once in a while we all need to turn our ring around to remind us of the obligation that we all took!

jwhoff

Premium Member
One brother told me he wears his where he can display the most light. He considers the compasses as the side of the ring that displays light.

Wears it with the compasses pointing toward him. Says he displays much more light bouncing it off his slick bald head.

Sometimes, when he catches the sun just right, you can hardly see him at all with all that light bouncing off that bald head.

Last edited:

BigDre357

If I wear my past master ring it is points out but 99.9% of the time I am wearing this
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1413297096.676034.jpg

Tpower31

Premium Member
I was told to wear my ring with the points towards my hand as I haven't been installed as WM. Highest office I have held so far is assistant secretary I've only been in lodge for not quite 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro
4b7a6724c1abbcab20bfe8ad5773bce7_thumb.jpg

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
But its not upside down...at least not to the brother and depending on how he has his hand...lol....thats really silly. Ive met hundreds of Freemasons and never heard that before

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app
Neither have I. The way it was explained to me was that wearing the ring points facing you was to remind you of Masonry and its meanings and obligations. Wearing it points facing away was to tell the world that you are a Freemason.

Bloke

Premium Member
Neither have I. The way it was explained to me was that wearing the ring points facing you was to remind you of Masonry and its meanings and obligations. Wearing it points facing away was to tell the world that you are a Freemason.

Yep, heard that too, but also the "upside down ring" statement.... what upsided down means is debated, but for distress i think it is so it looks that way to othets.... kinda reminds me of the pillars, is the left as you enter or leave... ( enter is the common view but its not univetsal and rarely defined)

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Yep, heard that too, but also the "upside down ring" statement.... what upsided down means is debated, but for distress i think it is so it looks that way to othets.... kinda reminds me of the pillars, is the left as you enter or leave... ( enter is the common view but its not univetsal and rarely defined)
Well in both my jurisdictions the celestial Pillar is to the SW left as he sits facing the WM....