My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 THE "OTHER" WORKING TOOLS -- THE CHISEL, THE SKIRRET , AND THE PENCIL

Bloke

Premium Member
By Jorge Sanchez
SHORT TALK BULLETIN, Vol. 84 , No. 3, March, 2006.

Thought this might be of interest
Although the 24-inch Gauge and the Common Gavel may be familiar to U. S. Craft Masons, the Chisel is
not. Emulation ritual explains that the Chisel "points out to us the advantages of education, by which
means alone we are rendered fit members of regularly organized Society." This equation of the chisel
with education is especially interesting, since we often think of education as a cumulative endeavor,
through which we amass certain knowledge, skills, and qualifications. The Chisel, of course, is a tool of
great sharpness that cleaves unnecessary rock from the usable stone. The idea that education might
pare away the unnecessary while leaving us with only what is vital is a profound and almost paradoxical
idea that merits contemplation. Oddly, the chisel seems to be a tool of paradoxes: small, yet powerful;
emblematic of education by elimination, and not accumulation.

Full Article is below
https://www.kansasmason.org/cms/images/Short-Talk-Bulletin-The-Other-Working-Tools.pdf

Winter

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing this STB. I remember when this came out the same year we founded an Emulation Lodge in Wisconsin that uses all 9 working tools. I had always wondered previously why the working tools were not a series of triads like so much else in Freemasonry. It seemed so incongruous.
a547b1f5f1f77380b8a858ef1ff06af3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Bloke

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing this STB. I remember when this came out the same year we founded an Emulation Lodge in Wisconsin that uses all 9 working tools. I had always wondered previously why the working tools were not a series of triads like so much else in Freemasonry. It seemed so incongruous.
a547b1f5f1f77380b8a858ef1ff06af3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Nice tools !
Not really sure which is the pencil and chisel.

As an interesting aside, the article mentions we don't have the trowel. True in that is not a working tool of one of the three degrees, but it gets mentioned in the Installation to spread the cement of Brotherly Love..

Winter

Premium Member
Nice tools !

As an interesting aside, the article mentions we don't have the trowel. True in that is not a working tool of one of the three degrees, but it gets mentioned in the Installation to spread the cement of Brotherly Love..

Tools.jpg

Keith C

Nice tools !

Here in PA in the "Ancient" Ritual the Trowel IS the Working Tool of a Master Mason