My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 questions on order of business and minutes efficiency

Mac

Premium Member
Hey brethren, I will thumb through my blue blinder of laws further tomorrow, but I wanted to ask about two things.

1. Is there a set order of events for each stated meeting, mandated by Grand Lodge law? I recall seeing a template, but I was wondering if you could (for example) introduce visiting brethren, and then launch straight into a Masonic education presentation next, then committee reports, old business, new business, etc.

2. Are we required to literally read every word, in a dually-opened Lodge, of every set of minutes not previously read prior? It just seems like it's a real kill to the momentum of the meeting to jump from the formal opening and introducing visitors to... minutes upon minutes... of minutes. ;) Is there a more efficient way to handle minutes that is allowed by Grand Lodge law?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
1. The order of business outlined in the Grand Lodge law may be modified by the Worshipful Master at his discretion. (Art. 333)

2. No, the WM may waive the reading of all or part of the minutes. Any member of the Lodge has the right to read them for himself at any reasonable time. However, sooner or later the WM will have to sign them, whether they have been read or not, & he is responsible for their accuracy. (Art's. 333, 337, & 338)