My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33rd degree

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
It will take you forever to get to the 33rd and last degree through the York rite....as the York Rite doesn't confer those degrees that's the Scottish Rite.....are you a mason?

crono782

Premium Member
First, the 33rd degree is of the Scottish Rite, not York. Secondly, you do not obtain it. It is bestowed as an honorary for years of outstanding service.

dillon1715

Not a mason yet but hopefully will be balloted soon and then due to the summer months shut down will be a brother in the later year....... Sorry my fault just realised there are only 7 degree's of York rite then invitation to 33rd how long to progress though the 7 degree's?

dillon1715

Also how much relevance dose ancient Egyption culture have on freemasonry as this is a big part of wanting to become a brother and is a big passion of mine.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Secondly, you do not obtain it. It is bestowed as an honorary for years of outstanding service.

In this it is rather like a Nobel Prize - People who admit to working for it don't get it. The 33rd is about giving service not about doing specific work.

Also how much relevance dose ancient Egyption culture have on freemasonry as this is a big part of wanting to become a brother and is a big passion of mine.

Nothing direct is the first 3 degrees.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
He was asking about Freemasonry, not Masonry. There is a HUGE difference.

dillon1715

You will need to have read and sensed a lot about ancient Egypt (and Sumer) to find those influences in Freemasonry. Both Egypt and Sumer have a profound impact on Freemasonry and western culture, but successive generations have remade both the ritual and the history to fit with their own beliefs.

Therefore the interested brother needs to penetrate beyond the veils of ritual and material existence to connect consciously to the spiritual influences that flow through both antiquity and the present. This work requires decades of inner development, ritual practice and wide reading.
I am currently in the process of learning about the 3rd eye and hopefully after years of as you say inner development, I will be able to see things more clearly brother thank you for your open reply.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
There's no higher degree than that of Master Mason, the third degree in what many refer to as the Blue Lodge, or Craft Masonry. The York Rite and Scottish Rite offer appendent bodies that provide additional studies and outlooks toward Masonic traditions, and you may petition to these bodies once you are a Master Mason in good standing.

York Rite consists of three bodies, or groups: the Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, the Council of Royal and Select Masters, and the Commandery of Knights Templar. Each of these bodies has three or four degrees within their ranks as well. It is a progressive deal, and you receive your degrees in order. Some jurisdictions offer "festivals" where the degrees may be conferred over a single weekend; but the norm is that you receive your degrees one at a time over several weeks or months.

The Scottish Rite offers an additional 28 degrees beyond those conferred in craft Masonry, the 4th through the 32nd degree. SR degrees are typically "communicated" in theatrical form in an event known as a "Reunion." Reunions may be one-day events where the brother receives 5 or 6 "essential" degrees and the rest are communicated by giving him a book to study them; an expanded two day event, or there are a few Valleys where the full 28 degrees are put on sequentially. The Scottish Rite tends to be philosophical (sometimes it's called the "university" of Freemasonry) and a number of the degrees illustrate comparative religions over time, and some references are made to ancient Egyptian beliefs. However if your pure interest is in ancient Egypt, you might be a little disappointed. Masonic secrets aren't quite what the conspiracy and Internet folks make them up to be.

Upon completion of the Reunion, you're a 32nd degree Mason, a "Master of the Royal Secret." The next steps, Knight Commander, Court of Honor (KCCH) and Inspector General (Honorary) are just that - purely an honors conferred by your peers for long and diligent service, and if you come out and ask for them or even intimate that you're politicking for them, they must be refused.

dfreybur

Premium Member
You will need to have read and sensed a lot about ancient Egypt (and Sumer) to find those influences in Freemasonry. Both Egypt and Sumer have a profound impact on Freemasonry and western culture, but successive generations have remade both the ritual and the history to fit with their own beliefs.

Therefore the interested brother needs to penetrate beyond the veils of ritual and material existence to connect consciously to the spiritual influences that flow through both antiquity and the present. This work requires decades of inner development, ritual practice and wide reading.

Start by looking up Ma'at. Living the right way is all over the lessons we are taught. Indirect influence.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
How long roughly dose it take to get to this lv though the York rite if it's possible to assume?
If you're in Eurpoe (as this thread is in that section of the Forum) you're going to find it difficult to find the York rite let alone join it.

However, if you're actually in the US you'll be fine.

Reactions: MBC

dillon1715

This is partially because a number of other organisations concealed themselves within Freemasonry (rather than go out of existence) and each such organisation has imposed its own messages upon those already present. The result is a multiplicity of meanings, most of which have been adversely modified by later parties.

Such as the illuminati

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Can't help myself: 32-3=29, not 28, plus the 33rd, and that is in jurisdictions where the Rite isn't worked in the first three degrees.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Since the genuine secrets of Masonry are concealed, both deliberately and by ignorant alterations, I consider it unwise to expect that more is revealed to the candidate in the higher degrees. Indeed as one authority has said: the higher degrees become an increasing jumble.

This is partially because a number of other organisations concealed themselves within Freemasonry (rather than go out of existence) and each such organisation has imposed its own messages upon those already present. The result is a multiplicity of meanings, most of which have been adversely modified by later parties.

The 3 craft degrees, for all their limitations, are the most valuable for the spiritual aspirant.

My experience is different. While it is not indicated what is meant by "higher degrees", I don't find AASR-SJ, Rectified Rite, Scarlet Cord, Spiritual Knights, RCC, Acon, ROS, or Pilgrim Preceptors...a jumble. I find they have rather plain meanings.

OTH, I don't view Masonry as a spiritual construct, but a moral and philosophical body of thought. I don't accept that other organizations deliberately concealed themselves either.

Last edited:

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
[QUOTE="Glen Cook, post: 143968, member: 15599"Rectified Rite, Scarlet Cord, Spiritual Knights, RCC, Acon, ROS, or Pilgrim Preceptors[/QUOTE]

Huh? Never heard of any of these

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I did google the scarlet cord...i just figured you could explain them better.....ive done reasearch on the AMD and all it did was confuse me

dfreybur

Premium Member
I don't view Masonry as a spiritual construct, but a moral and philosophical body of thought.

Some people make the distinction between spiritual and religious. Some people don't make the distinction.

Each religion addresses some spiritual topics not all of them. Masonry fills in some of those gaps. As such while Masonry is not a religion its lessons and values are redundant with the lessons and values of various religions. Different religion, different overlap, different filled gap coverage.

I don't accept that other organizations deliberately concealed themselves either.

One of the optional degrees in the AASR-SJ list explicitly claims that alchemy deliberately concealed itself within some of the degrees. Cool retroactive story line in my opinion.