5 Masonic books you can't live without

Discussion in 'Recommended Reading' started by Mosaic, Aug 15, 2013.

1. SteveR

SteveR Registered User

Personally:

The Scottish Rite Ritual Monitor and Guide
    Morals and Dogma, Annotated
    Esoterika
    Coil's Masonic Encyclopedia
    The Alchemical Keys To Masonic Ritual

2. detroit2jim

detroit2jim Registered User

I have to say my favorite is "Mystic Tie" by Mackey. If you are unfamiliar with it, it's a great read and with strengthen your view on the Craft in the mid 19th century that can be applied today. A must rescue from my burning shelf.

Jim

Detroit Lodge No. 2 F&AM

3. Rufus

Rufus Registered User

Hmm, interesting. :)
    Can I ask why you like this book?

4. SteveR

SteveR Registered User

It explains a lot of the origins of our degrees, and when you see the degrees after reading this book, they will take on a new dimension with an even deeper meaning. Bro. Tim Hogan (the author), is in my Valley of Denver SR, and he's well known for his massive amount of research and knowledge. He would be humble and deny it, but I can see brethren viewing his work in a hundred years similarly to how we view Bro. Pike's work.

I would encourage any brother that has been through all 3 degrees to read it. If your an EA or FC, wait until after you've become a MM, or a lot of the book will be dark to you.

By the way, Bro. Albert Pike also felt alchemy had a lot of influence on our rituals.

Sent from Freemason Connect HD

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Masonry takes teachings from the mysteries of mankind. The more we know the more we see less and less differences through man's quest for his maker. Yes, there are abominations and charlatans along the way. Both, I may add in and out of mainstream religion. Still man's honest, serious search for his relevance follows a narrow path.

Morris likes this.
  6. BigDre357

BigDre357 Registered User

The Bible, Morals and Dogma, Freemasons For Dummies, The Jurisprudence Of Freemasonry, Albert Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry of which I have 2 volumes that are 1901 copyrighted and published

SMIB /G\

7. BigDre357

8. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

I had a list of 5 but that picture of the paddle brought memories flooding my brain from school. Are you an old school teacher Big Dre or that paddle have masonic significance?

9. BigDre357

Lol we used to use them during certain aspects of initiation. Since I was a little heavy handed with them one of the brothers made that for me as a gift to show his appreciation. He said he wouldn't have felt like he earned his degrees without experiencing something outside of the actual ritual that made him appreciate his lessons and degrees more but do to a brother that came over from a Greek frat we stopped using them

SMIB /G\

10. Charles D. Stone

Charles D. Stone Registered User

One that I would definitely take is the Holy Bible presented to me when I made MM.

Since I posted this last year I would say I can save more than five. I was able to find an app for my Smartphone that is, supposably a complete Masonic library. It is cheaper than the cost of each book individually.
    Freemason Connect HD

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  11. Frater Cliff Porter

Frater Cliff Porter Premium Member

Man this is TOUGH...I love to read. So I will do my best here. My first choice is easy.

I am going with Morals and Dogma. Next is probably Esoterika. Starting to sweat, but I am going with Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual, then Lost Keys of Freemasonry and....not sure I can do this without passing out because there is so much great stuff....but....for the sake of the post and having to stick to five I would go with Born In Blood (because it had such an effect on my journey)...he made me want to know more about my history.

That being said it would be super hard for me not to grab Restorations of Masonic Geometry and Symbolry, Egypt the Cradle of Ancient Masonry, Bob Davis new book on ritual called The Mason's Word. Also I love Jim Tresner's But I Digress...I always feel like we are sitting on the back porch of his cabin talking Masonry when I read it (I am biased though, I helped him with it and he allowed me to write the forward). Mitchell's two volume history rocks, Sickel's Ahiman Rezon would be very difficult to leave behind. I will admit to loving Book of Hiram by Lohmas....see its just getting worse.

12. Squire Bentley

Squire Bentley Premium Member

House Undivided, The Meaning of Masonry, Revolutionary Brotherhood, The Compasses and the Cross, Out Of The Shadows

13. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

I'm going to go with the ignorant answer... the books i was given on the alter... the bible, the bylaws, the apron, and that's about it. I don't know that I'd bring a masonic book other than that over another book...it's a long discussion about why.

14. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

You honestly used paddles on Masonic initiates? I would never join ANYTHING that required me to submit to hazing, much less physical abuse. Did your Grand Lodge know and approve of that?

15. Roy Vance

Roy Vance Certified Premium Member

You sir, are as bad as I am when it comes to your books, except I don't have Esoterika or Brother Davis' book yet. It seems that I cannot find a copy of Esoterika, reasonably priced, anywhere. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I have not yet received Brother Hogan's book yet, either.

16. Proudvet09

Proudvet09 Registered User

I believe a solution to this issue would be to place your readings in a fireproof safe. Lol...just a bit of friendly sarcasm. My apologies bretheren

My Freemasonry HD

17. BigDre357

Yeah but we stopped on our own because the other lodges that did it took it the the Greek feat point of hazing we just gave a pop here and there

SMIB /G\

18. Thegentlesoldier

Thegentlesoldier Registered User

The History of Freemasonry by Albert G Mackey opened many new doors for me. All of the sudden I found lots of new material.
    Solomon's Builders was a wealth of Masonic knowledge concerning the first century of Speculative Masonry in America.
    Born in Blood is awesome
    I also subscribe to Mo Lodge of Research and Masonic Research Network.

My Freemasonry HD

19. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Currently, Esoterika by Pike, Book of the Chapter by Mackey, Lightfoot's Monitor with Commentaries by Lightfoot, Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual by Hogan, and Scottish Rite Monitor and Guide by de Hoyos

20. Thegentlesoldier

Thegentlesoldier Registered User

These are 5 of the latest best books I read and I highly recommend them for any serious researcher. Not for novice probably.

Sworn in Secret: Freemasonry and the Knights Templar by Sanford Holst 2012
    Ancient to Modern includes Knights Templar to Rosslyn Chapel

The Hiram Key: Pharaohs, Freemasons and the Discovery of the Secrete Scrolls of Jesus by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas 1996
    Ancient times to modern history including Knights Templar and many other aspects

The Lost Keys of Freemasonry by Manly P Hall original published 1923, republished 2006
    From ancient times to modern.

Cracking the Freemasons Code by Robert L D Cooper 2007.
    I actually met this author and interviewed him. He is awesome and very knowledgeable.

House Un divided: The Story of Freemasonry and the Civil War by Allen E Roberts 1961, 1990
    Awesome account of Freemasonry during the American Civil War from both the North and South perspective as well as Soldiers and Prisoners.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Share My Freemasonry