My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After 29 years of being Mason in-name-only, I am publicly dropping the bomb

Lamurudu

Many many lodges here in the UK meet about 4 times a year, one of those being the Installation. The speed of progression from EA to FC to MM depends on how many candidates the Lodge has to put through. If a Lodge has only one brother going through, then he may well progress from EA to FC to MM within a year at three different meetings. Conversely I know some very busy lodges where FC to MM can take up to two years, simply because there’s a queue. Lodges sometimes carry out double or triple passings and raisings at their discretion, or even ask friendly neighbouring Lodges with less work at hand to help out with carrying out a ceremony.

Bloke

Premium Member
Many many lodges here in the UK meet about 4 times a year, one of those being the Installation. The speed of progression from EA to FC to MM depends on how many candidates the Lodge has to put through. If a Lodge has only one brother going through, then he may well progress from EA to FC to MM within a year at three different meetings. Conversely I know some very busy lodges where FC to MM can take up to two years, simply because there’s a queue. Lodges sometimes carry out double or triple passings and raisings at their discretion, or even ask friendly neighbouring Lodges with less work at hand to help out with carrying out a ceremony.
Do you get together much between those meetings ?

Lamurudu

Most lodges meet for LoI (Lodge of instruction) between meetings. LoI is where we come casually dressed and rehearse the work in an informal way, with the books in hand, and the officers get to practice and nail their lines in the temple. The guys may nip down to the bar for a quick social drink or two afterwards.
Frequency of LoI depends on the Lodge, many do it weekly all year, some do it in the weeks running up to a meeting.

protectingthewestgate

You think two years is too soon? Ok. How long should it be in your opinion? Five years? Ten? 50?

I don’t get those dues. Luckily, I’m at the stage of my sojourn where I don’t have to pay that many, either.

I accept that you aren’t teaching anything about freemasonry to new masons. It’s better not to judge all freemasonry by your experience.

I have been doing this masonic thing for a while (though not fifty years) and have filled most roles. I still learn, and if I am a serious Freemason, will continue to do so.
I don't believe you know what I'm talking about, and that's fine, I'm sure you have hundreds of members who are active and masonic education is a 5 day a week session in your lodge, and you don't have 1 single member who has been worshipful more than once,

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I don't believe you know what I'm talking about, and that's fine, I'm sure you have hundreds of members who are active and masonic education is a 5 day a week session in your lodge, and you don't have 1 single member who has been worshipful more than once,
I agree I don’t know what you are talking about.

I‘m not member of any lodge that has hundreds of members.

Masonic education five days a week would be silly.

I‘m a member of an installed masters lodge, so yeah, we’ve all been master at least once. My mother lodge has a handful of members that have been master of that lodge more then once. That is fairly common and does not necessarily reflect on the health of the lodge.

Winter

Premium Member
It seems like you are judging all Masonry by your experience which will likely only lead to frustration. There are a lot of flavors of Freemasonry and types of Masons out there and not everyone joins for the same reasons or wants the same things from the Craft. Some, like me, love the esoteric study. Some just want to do the minimum where ritual is concerned to engage in the social aspect. But a snarky attitude doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Jay Thompson

We've never had a WM serve more than 1 yr and never 1 who's been WM 2x in our lodge.
By St. John’s Day, after having enjoyed two years straight in the East, I’ll be passing the gavel to a Bro. who was Master some years back. The Master proceeding me was in the East for three.
A lodge in our neighboring district had a Master (he moved to Florida) who served six years straight. He said he would’ve continued but GL barred him from continuing The ribbon on his Past Master’s jewel is comically long.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Do you get together much between those meetings ?
Quite a bit for "socials" and "Lodges of Instruction/Practice" but more importantly we also visit other Lodges and many English Freemasons are members of multiple Lodges sometimes in various Provinces.