My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I an arse?

David612

Yeah... and our ritual mandates that we do the Work that is specified in it... but in all fairness, when was the last time any one lodge officer took the time to dress down a Brother for ...
  1. not applying his twenty-four inch gauge on clearly displayed mismanagement of his time?
  2. not using his common gavel do divest himself of clearly displayed vices and superfluities?
  3. not circumscribing or subduing his clearly overtly displayed and unmanageable desires or passions?
  4. not being fair, equitable or assuring the playing field was level?
  5. not being unbiased in his choices and decisions in business, lodge, family and life?
  6. not being moral in activities inside and outside the lodge?
  7. not spreading the brotherly love one should expect from a "master"?
If you're going to get upset about not following things as they are prescribed for us by the playwrights of our ritual, being proficient in what we are directed to do and generally toeing the party line, why stop at memorizing and regurgitating ritual?
I’m not suggesting we stop at memorising the work.

David612

I'd like to nitpick on the title of this thread.

"Am I an arse?" refers to someone's general personality. For instance, "I am generous" would refer to a personality aspect.

"Am I being an arse?" would refer to a specific situation. For instance "I'll give you a C- and I am being generous".

In this case, I find that "Am I being an arse?" is a better title for this thread as it refers to a specific situation.

While I find that you're quite tightly wound up on this matter (you catch more flies with honey than vinegar – and incidentally even more with faeces, but that's a separate story), I do think that actions should have consequences. Stocks and pillory in the town square may be too harsh a punishment, but what if the forgetful brothers had to serve dinner, wash the dishes and clean the toilets while wearing a French maid outfit? Would that be too much of an officers' mess or public school tomfoolery?
Tbh I am tightly wound on it, I just can’t fathom why one would opt to take an officer role or deliver a charge with no intention of learning it, it boggles my mind.
It seems to me the thing to do is just dedicate yourself for the things you volunteer for and do your best or excuse yourself from those responsibilities.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...It seems to me the thing to do is just dedicate yourself for the things you volunteer for and do your best or excuse yourself from those responsibilities.
Ah! Integrity!

Something that you would think would not be lost to members of an organization who pride themselves on being true to one's word.

TheThumbPuppy

Tbh I am tightly wound on it, I just can’t fathom why one would opt to take an officer role or deliver a charge with no intention of learning it, it boggles my mind.
It seems to me the thing to do is just dedicate yourself for the things you volunteer for and do your best or excuse yourself from those responsibilities.

In principle I agree with you. But you've got to work with these people. Unless you decide to cut your losses, say goodbye, and change lodge. If you were to talk to them with your current incensed state of mind, you'd probably make things worse and I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up in the wrong.

Rather think of your goal and ask yourself what you could do to influence your brothers. Ideally you'd get them to renew their commitment and agree on a course of action. Perhaps try to raise the subject at the next meeting, but don't make it a crusade. For instance, ask if anybody else had noticed that the quality of the rituals has decreased. After a few agree, ask what "we" could do to improve this situation. Never raise your voice or give way to an indignant or confrontational attitude.

Don't expect it to get it all solved in one meeting. At the following meeting ask your brothers is they had some thoughts about improving the quality of the rituals and whether some of them had started some new habit to help their memory. And you carry on at the meeting after that. If there are some improvements, give credit where credit is due. Softly, softly, catchee monkey.

Alternatively you could just smack them on the back of their head every time they forget a line. : )

Keith C

I am still at a loss at how to assimilate this:

Are you in a position to deny an officer position or to not assign a part?

Yes,I am.

With this:

If you are in the position to deny someone an Officer's Chair or Not assign someone to a given role in the Work, WHY would you not assure their competency BEFORE they are put in the position to fail as dramatically as you state?

To be blunt, either you are not in a position to decide who does what, or you are not evaluating the ability of the assigned Brethren to do the Work they are directed to perform.