My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appendant Bodies

nfasson

I guess the added Appendant degrees are what confuses the general public, thinking that there are higher and higher levels that confer deep, dark secrets of Freemasonry that tell of horrendous dark rites and worship of certain goat-like deities. But, really, if Masons can't even drink wine during their meetings, then it would sound as tame as a church picnic to them.

Maybe it's time for a Masonic Wine Club... the Masonic Order of Bacchus?

My Freemasonry

cemab4y

Premium Member
You must understand, that nearly all USA Grand Lodges forbid alcohol in the lodge building. Some Grand lodges (ex: Michigan) permit the lodges to rent out the building to non-masonic events, like square dances, and the celebration can have alcohol.

This is a strange phenomenon! Only in the USA, are lodges "dry'. In nearly all other countries, alcohol is served in the lodge halls. I used to visit the grand National Lodge of France, and there was a full wine cellar, and bar in the basement.

Alcohol was served in Masonic halls, prior to the disaster of prohibition (1922-1933). unhappily, the Grand Lodges did not reverse the rulings at the end of prohibition.

The Shrine has the moderate use of alcohol, in their social activities. There is another appendant body called "The Royal Order of Jesters", which is an "invitation-only" group. The Jesters have some terrific parties. Ask around!

nfasson

Has their been any effort to change this policy? Other threads talk about declining numbers in their Lodges, and I suspect that this might be a contributing factor... even just having the option is better than not having a choice.

Anyways, thanks for all the info... just fascinating how many layers there are to this onion!

My Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Both NM and CA allow the use of alcohol in the building, just not the sale or permanent storage (you can't have a bar).
I know of one Lodge in ABQ that meets in the Shrine building, do they naturally have a bar in the building.

MarkR

Premium Member
Minnesota prohibits alcohol only in the actual Lodge room. Elsewhere in the building is okay. We go downstairs to our lounge after lodge and have a couple of beers all the time.

dfreybur

Premium Member
But, really, if Masons can't even drink wine during their meetings, then it would sound as tame as a church picnic to them.

That would depend on the church group. There are church groups that have a lot of teetotalers. There are church groups that have a lot of home brewers. I happen to attend the ones that have a lot of home brewers; not by coincidence.

In Masonry in the US I can go to a teetotaler event at blue lodge or a Shrine event and have a drink. I could also travel outside of the US and have a beer at a lodge meeting.

Or I could travel to a state like California that allows drink with a list of detailed restrictions on how it's done - After the meeting is closed or at an event where the lodge is not opened, no charge for the drink just a bucket for donations over by the sodas, the drink owned by an individual never by lodge (in my mother lodge it's passed down as the JW advances through the progressive line), any storage in a separate location that is kept locked whenever lodge is opened.

State laws, licensing and insurance requirements have a large impact on how lodges deal with alcohol. Plus any GL can issue rules against any in the building. My Texas lodge meets in an out building on Shrine property so it can be a separate building with no alcohol in it.

cemab4y

Premium Member
In the USA, nearly all Masonic lodges are DRY DRY DRY. When Freemasonry was first began in the USA, alcohol was served during refreshment. Only with the disaster of Prohibition (1922-1933) did the lodges in the USA ban all malt/vinuous/spiritous beverages. When the 22d amendment was passed, and Prohibition was repealed, alcohol did not return to USA lodges (in nearly all states).

In my home state of Kentucky, Masonic membership was denied to any individual involved in the manufacture, transport, or serving of alcohol. If you owned a restaurant, and the restaurant had a liquor license, you could not petition a KY lodges. (This regulation was repealed only a few years ago).

I have visited lodges in 14 states, and WashDC. In Fort Wayne IND, after lodge closes, the members who want a libation, drive a couple blocks down the street, and have a beer and/or cocktail. In Fredericksburg VA, the lodge closes, and there is a tavern two blocks away, and you can walk over and have your libation.

I would like to see ALL USA Grand Lodges repeal the silly and outdated prohibition against alcohol in our lodges. We could return to our splendid tradition, of relaxation and moderate use of alcohol in our refreshments, which has been done, since the first lodges were established in the USA.