My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As an Officer, what should my priority be?

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I'll go if I can schedule somebody to work for me at the center. I would love to help out on this. I'm by no means a ritualist, or a person who knows the work down pat but I would love to help in any form that I can.

Chaplin the Elder

Here's what my Lodge has to work with:

We have more Brothers in their 80's and 90's than 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's combined.

We cannot confer our own degrees. We rely on a district degree team.

Up until recently, we have never implemented the A.L.L. or L.I.F.E. program.

Bro. Blake, You must, by GLoT law, implement the ALL and LIFE programs.

We have a handful of younger Brothers who attend practice every other week to learn the work, but nobody shows up to teach us.

Start teaching them yourself. Go to other lodges and learn, or get the DI to come once a month and teach the ones that show up. I am going though the same thing with my lodge and if we have two people show up we teach them. If the old "moss backs" don't like the way I am teaching I tell them to step up to the plate and start teaching.

Up until recently, we had no "fun" activities for our Lodge members. We've been in the business of pancake breakfasts and fundraisers. Not practicing the Craft or hosting "fun" events.

We have a VERY VERY VERY limited amount of Brothers who could dedicate themselves to learn the work.

Start by teaching them. The rest will come.

I've been on more ass than a pair of levis and I've come to realize we have what we have. Pushing old timers or uninterested "new" guys is futile.

We need to practice the Craft, but I cannot expect a DI or someone who knows their stuff to come to our Lodge if 3 people show up. It's not fair to them.

Yes you can expect them to come out. This is their job, the DI, You should be able to find an "old timer" who will be willing to come share his knowledge with the brothers.

SO, here's our dillema

Should we push practice, rituals, degrees, etc.

or

Should we focus on hosting events for our own members. I won't spill the details, but Gonzales is one of the most finicially sound Lodges around. Money is NOT an issue.

Personally I feel that we need to host events that cater to our members. Who wants to be part of a Brotherhood that only offers fundraiser signup sheets, meals once a month and a bill paying ceremony? To me the bond and brotherly love should trump degree work. I think we (my Lodge) should stabilize what we have and make Brothers WANT to be involved, then push work on them. Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

In the immortal words of my son, "Have you tried Freemasonry?"

I refer you to a paper titled, "Laudable Pursuit: A 21st Century Response to Dwight Smith" written by The Knights of the North. It is well worth the read and address' these issues. You can find it at:
http://www.knightsofthenorth.com/

Click on the link "Laudable Pursuit" and this will open up the PDF file.

As I said, it is well worth the read and address' these very issues.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
Freemasonry ideas + Freemasonry motivation = Freemasonry in action!

This formula might not solve the 47th Problem of Euclid, but it is darned sure a good start in helping to alleviate most of our problems.

I know you all know to do this, but in recognition, before embarking on any great or important undertaking remember to first ...................

This forum is a God send to me.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
You Brothers are awesome but before you pack your bags let me fire up some Brothers in the surrounding areas. I appreciate your willingness to help a fellow Brother and Lodge out.
AnimatedBravoSmiley.gif

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
You Brothers are awesome but before you pack your bags let me fire up some Brothers in the surrounding areas. I appreciate your willingness to help a fellow Brother and Lodge out.
AnimatedBravoSmiley.gif

I'm willing to come. Maybe you could get all the Lodges in your district interested in a group esoteric class. Then even if you only have one or two from each Lodge, you would still have a good group.
One other thing. If you only have two or three people show up, go ahead and practice questions and answers in round table format. Even two people can practice. Good luck. If I can help, please feel free to call.

JBD

Premium Member
AnimatedBravoSmiley.gif

Don't go all squishy on us, we were going to demand Masters wages - you know Biscuits, Sausage Gravy, strong coffee and fellowship - the real secret stuff :biggrin1:

I am looking forward to it, you have no options now, you have at least 3 of us ready to roll to the rescue :biggrin1:

Wingnut

Premium Member
Bro. Blake, You must, by GLoT law, implement the ALL and LIFE programs.

ROFLMAO now that right there is funny! See if the poll I did earlier is still around, less than 10% of all lodges do either from our poll. Same with the Candidate Information Program. One would think that a program that is mandatory would be kept up to date also. ALL is WAY outdated!

owls84

Premium Member
ROFLMAO now that right there is funny! See if the poll I did earlier is still around, less than 10% of all lodges do either from our poll. Same with the Candidate Information Program. One would think that a program that is mandatory would be kept up to date also. ALL is WAY outdated!

Insert Shelton Here.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Don't go all squishy on us, we were going to demand Masters wages - you know Biscuits, Sausage Gravy, strong coffee and fellowship - the real secret stuff :biggrin1:

NOW we're talkin'! :biggrin1:

Bro. Staton

Here's what my Lodge has to work with:

We have more Brothers in their 80's and 90's than 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's combined.

We cannot confer our own degrees. We rely on a district degree team.

Up until recently, we have never implemented the A.L.L. or L.I.F.E. program.

We have a handful of younger Brothers who attend practice every other week to learn the work, but nobody shows up to teach us.

Up until recently, we had no "fun" activities for our Lodge members. We've been in the business of pancake breakfasts and fundraisers. Not practicing the Craft or hosting "fun" events.

We have a VERY VERY VERY limited amount of Brothers who could dedicate themselves to learn the work.

I've been on more ass than a pair of levis and I've come to realize we have what we have. Pushing old timers or uninterested "new" guys is futile.

We need to practice the Craft, but I cannot expect a DI or someone who knows their stuff to come to our Lodge if 3 people show up. It's not fair to them.

SO, here's our dillema

Should we push practice, rituals, degrees, etc.

or

Should we focus on hosting events for our own members. I won't spill the details, but Gonzales is one of the most finicially sound Lodges around. Money is NOT an issue.

Personally I feel that we need to host events that cater to our members. Who wants to be part of a Brotherhood that only offers fundraiser signup sheets, meals once a month and a bill paying ceremony? To me the bond and brotherly love should trump degree work. I think we (my Lodge) should stabilize what we have and make Brothers WANT to be involved, then push work on them. Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.
Bro. Bowden can you tell me what A.L.L. and L.I.F.E program is all about???

crono782

Premium Member
ALL = Additional Lodge Light
LIFE = Lodge Instruction For Effectiveness

The ALL program is given to newly raised MMs. It is a handbook and activity book. It goes over a various topics from etiquette, looking up laws in the law book, looking up constituent lodges and jurisdictions, what may be talked about, programs, etc. it helps round out the new Master's knowledge.

The LIFE programs are given to those wishing to sit as JW, SW, or WM. There are 3 programs respectively.These programs prepare the senior officer for his new station including duties, planning, and preparedness. This is the stuff you'd normally see at a Warden's retreat.

Zack

As a past DI, I would say if 3 or so Brothers are genuinely interested in the learning the ritual I would gladly show up. It possibly could breed a little more interest from others. With a little time and effort you might be able to put on an EA degree and possibly breathe a new life into the lodge. One of the main jobs of a lodge is to make Masons so what better place to start?

Bro. Staton

ALL = Additional Lodge Light
LIFE = Lodge Instruction For Effectiveness

The ALL program is given to newly raised MMs. It is a handbook and activity book. It goes over a various topics from etiquette, looking up laws in the law book, looking up constituent lodges and jurisdictions, what may be talked about, programs, etc. it helps round out the new Master's knowledge.

The LIFE programs are given to those wishing to sit as JW, SW, or WM. There are 3 programs respectively.These programs prepare the senior officer for his new station including duties, planning, and preparedness. This is the stuff you'd normally see at a Warden's retreat.
I searched through all of the post and could not find the ppt for both of these programs if possible could you please send me a copy of both if you have them to staton.wayne@yahoo.com

Thanks

Bro. Staton

Recently my lodge has had some Grand Lecturers and Past Masters from several lodge have agreed to help our lodge out with degree work. They have also agreed to share some of their past up's and down's which I believe will help those on their way to the East. Being that I am a newly raised Mason and newly appointed Senior Deacon I would like to help in the growth and change of our lodge as well.