Bait & Switch, I Quit

Discussion in 'Masonic Blogs' started by Squire Bentley, Nov 12, 2018.

1. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Plenty of the magnificent older buildings in our order were funded by degree fees that were high at the time. It's how Masonry developed a reputation for being expensive. The night I was raised they handed be my dues bill and I asked "This is per month, right?"

2. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Agreed, but if they are paying 100s a month on gym memberships, they need to have their head examined lol. That may be CA prices....

3. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

Something I wanted to add to help out some of the lodges out there looking to make things easier, our Lodge (we call it European Concept rather than TO, it's basically the same thing but we aren't strict observance) meets in a room in the Scottish Rite building, so we also don't have to discuss building care. In addition, we pay our rent and utilities once per year, right after we collect dues. The beauty of this is that with the exception of catering costs for special events, we only have to vote on paying the bills once per year. Our stated meetings last an average of 20 minutes (and a lot of that time is taken up by California's Jewel March, which, in a lodge room that can seat hundreds, takes awhile) leaving us the rest of the time to present papers and have discussions.

Changing your billing structure to once per year is a relatively easy thing to do and save a lot of time throughout the year.

4. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Not being a gym rat I had to check nearby; even at $60 a month you could join a “pricey” lodge and still have money for nice dinners.

5. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Oh for sure.

6. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

Hey, there's an idea! For those who want to own their own building, find one with enough space to also put in a gym for the brothers. Not only would it be easier to swallow the cost of dues, it would be a great way to spend time with your brothers.

Brother JC likes this.
  7. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Love it

8. Winter

Winter Premium Member

If you really want to make bank, make it a gym only in January and the rest of the year a bar called "Resolutions".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

LOLOLOLOL!

10. Winter

Winter Premium Member

I spoke too soon! I received a letter from our Secretary today that dues have been raised to $400 a year and if you reside out of state to $200 a year.

Our Lodge would more accurately be describes as an EC Lodge as well.

Share My Freemasonry