My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Books and Passages Used in India

mydriasis

Greetings global brethren! I'm from the US. A brother from my lodge is interested in what book is kept on the altar in India, and also, what Passages and prayers are used during ritual. Is that info that can be shared outside of lodge? If not, perhaps our lodges could set up some correspondence.

Bloke

Premium Member
Greetings global brethren! I'm from the US. A brother from my lodge is interested in what book is kept on the altar in India, and also, what Passages and prayers are used during ritual. Is that info that can be shared outside of lodge? If not, perhaps our lodges could set up some correspondence.
Here in Victoria Australia, which would be regarded as predominately Christian, we have lodges where the main VSL is not the Bible. Usually set by the majority of members and history at the foundation of the Lodge, but it is common to see multiple VSLs opened in a Lodge, Bible being by far the most common. but Koran, Tripiṭaka (Buddhist), Dharma and Gita (Hindu), Tanakh or Torah (Jewish) being the three (6) most common other ones.. but the Granth-Sahib & Avesta I have also seen.. .and many others. When we get one which is not known, the Grand Chaplains should be consulted,.. but in our book of workings, the list is too short, does not have the Avesta. I often get asked about this and am empowered to give advice to Lodges on it, someone calls me and says "Can we use the Epistles of Wisdom", I ask, is the applicant Druze, they say yes and the answer is yes and the conversation is over. It's then confirmed in writing and they are good to go.

But you ask about the Passages and Prayers. The passages come from the Old Testament of the Bible, (there are few here in Craft in our ritual) and regardlessof origin, the prayers in our ceremonial are regarded as Masonic and not of any particular faith: we're a fraternity and not a religion.