My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buddhism

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Certain Fathers of the Church, particularly the Eastern ones, teach many things about passions, suffering, and to be in the world but not of the world. Just saying.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I get a lot out of Buddhist writings and philosophy. The Tibetan school of thought resounds with me far more than, say Zen. I studied it quite a bit over the past year. I tried several meditation techniques along the way and the stillness of Vipassana had a greater impact on me than any of the other methods. In fact, I meditate for 10-20 minutes before prayer. I feel like my prayer time is much clearer if I tame the monkey mind first.

Always a good idea. This is why the Eastern and the Oriental Orthodox Churches practice hesychastic breathing and prostrations. Zen is also a very bleak approach, similar to Stoicism. Stoicism pretty much boils down to "You're going to die, anyway, so don't be so attached to everything."

rfuller

Premium Member
This is why the Eastern and the Oriental Orthodox Churches practice hesychastic breathing and prostrations.

Very interesting. I've never heard about Hesychasm. I looked into it briefly after reading this, and it seems to closely resemble Buddhist monastic practices, but under the umbrella of Eastern Christian thought. Of course, that's after about 3 minutes of google searching, and then scanning wikipedia and a couple of blog posts. Something I will definitely be reading up on. Thanks for that direction.

louise evans

Do you have to have a religion to be a mason??

I would call myself very spiritual and I can connect with a lot of the religions..

I particularly like Buddhism and the philosophy in it...

Do I have to pick an actual religion to be a mason though???

:)

dfreybur

Premium Member
One thing about Masonry is we do encourage attendance and participation in your religion of choice. It's not necessary to have a religion to become a Mason, just to believe in the existence of a supreme being, but plenty of Masons who start out without a religion end up joining one partially as a result of the lessons we teach in lodge. For the ones I know that's happened with it had to do with reaching peace about the issues why they had declined religious membership in the past.

Religious organizations are the better for members who are open minded and have a clear moral sense. Men are better for participating in some religion. Rather like "Let Peace begin with me" it can be about deciding you'd rather participate in resolving problems than step back and wait for others to do so.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
Do I have to pick an actual religion to be a mason though???

:)
As already noted, the answer is no.

At the risk of sounding presumptuous, there some other requirements though, for membership in a "regular and recognized" lodge, at least. Is your interest personal or more "academic"?

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
No, you don't have to declare a religion. You are only asked if you believe in a supreme being.

I don't claim any specific religion but have drawn inspiration from most of them and other non religious sources. But if I had to pick one it would most likely be philosophical Taoism, or some similar form of monism.

louise evans

@dfreybur that's a great answer makes sense, thanks...

I guess its because of so much BS out there that I ended up just pushing
everything away, so much misinformation about everything...

@JohnnyFlotsam I'm interested in joining for many different reasons, personal spiritual growth, brotherhood, networks learning to become a better person learn truths about life....

I also keep myself away from average people because my thinking is a lot different, I can't really connect with most people so its quite lonely, its nice to be around like minded people who have a vision and brotherly love for eachother.....

Bird_n_hand

Does a person who takes his obligation as a Christian, but later becomes a Buddhist, have to retake his obligation as a Buddhist? Just curious .

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App
Thich nhat hanh was probably the most famous Buddhist monk/Christian. MLK nominated him for a Nobel peace prize. You should definitely read the book living Buddha living Christ by him. And like Seattlemason said. Buddhism isn't a religion it's a path you choose to walk if you so choose. To me what I've gotten out of Buddhism is to liken my mind as a piece of duct tape rolled into a giant ball. Things will attach itself my this giant ball. After enough time your mind assumes the things attached are what itself truly is. Buddhism helps you unattach those things to find the true value of a person which is one. One with self. One with God, one with Ohm and the universe, one with family and the beautiful things associated with it. You find the valuables in life arnt necessarily things but ideals. Your ideals of love and charity and the boost it gave me to put those things in perspective were immense! Happy travails!