My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Fund

Tylerl90

If you are renting your Lodge space from another Lodge, and were interested in creating some sort of fund that would go towards building your own lodge building; how would you go about it? Do any Brothers have experience with this, and were you successful?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

TheThumbPuppy

My first reaction when I read your post was, why would you want to build your own building?

My Lodge shares the Grand Lodge building with many other Lodges and we benefit from sharing the costs and we meet at beautiful premises.

Tylerl90

My first reaction when I read your post was, why would you want to build your own building?

My Lodge shares the Grand Lodge building with many other Lodges and we benefit from sharing the costs and we meet at beautiful premises.

Because nothing lasts forever and I’d rather be prepared in the case that something happens. Not expecting anything, but it’s better to be safe I believe.

TheThumbPuppy

Because nothing lasts forever and I’d rather be prepared in the case that something happens. Not expecting anything, but it’s better to be safe I believe.

Well, we've done quite a lot of building and renovating. My partner and I, I mean, not my Lodge. All our activities have been in London, Amsterdam and Brussels. But they all had a plan on how to recover the costs from the considerable investment that was necessary. What I'm saying is that after the building is done, you either sell it at a profit, or it has got to generate a positive cash flow through activities in its premises, for instance a hotel. Rental is usually not enough over here to cover the costs.

If I think of the annual fees we pay at my Lodge and the number of members we have, it would take quite a few decades worth of fees to accumulate enough capital to entertain a project like that, that is if we didn't spend a penny for anything else. After the building is ready and you move in, you'll save of course whatever rent you were paying before. However a building require maintenance, and if you don't do it, it will pile up to bigger bills later on.

The first thing to do – and I obviously do not know your area, Lodge, number of members, fees, etc – is to prepare a feasibility study, not only for building a structure or converting an existing building, but also for running costs, up-keeping, insurance, etc. And of course, the exit strategy has got to be in place – what happens if you have to close down your Lodge.

Perhaps it's possible to do it in your area. I watch some property programs from the US where people can buy houses and do them up for a fraction of the prices we have over here. If it was financially feasible, it would be quite an exciting project though :) Keep us posted.

Bloke

Premium Member
Didn't we have almost this exact same topic in the last 6 to 12 months (I cannot find the thread)..

Bloke

Premium Member
If you are renting your Lodge space from another Lodge, and were interested in creating some sort of fund that would go towards building your own lodge building; how would you go about it? Do any Brothers have experience with this, and were you successful?

My first question is
why ?
(Like Bro Glen).

Are you being driven by geography ? Would be better for your lodge to meet in a different location ?

If not, then are the current owners not maintaining the building ? Is it falling apart ?

If all "no", then why would you split resources ? (that's not a rhetorical question).

If it is maintenance, and if the building is structurally sound and has a lot of longevity left, the goal might (should) be to renovate not buy (and build), unless it is current location gives poor amenity you improve elsewhere for a cost (and value) you can bear.

If the current owners won't renovate and you don't have rights... just paint the place or spend some money on it as a last resort (other users will notice and you can promote the idea of co-ownership). The tension between "owner lodge" and "tenant lodge" is often massive. Find a way to remove it.. (and the first step is not to start with that but a collegial approach to develop a plan/vision as if already a co-owner and finalize that at the end of the plan/vision formulation by getting official rights in how the building is run and to ensure it cannot be sold from underneath you in the coming years..)

Noting your "ownership" comment - I think we need to take the view we don't "own" anything.. Freemasons who own buildings are custodians working to hand-on what we inherited to future generations. You inherited use of a lodge room (for paid rent I assume which is a fraction of ownership cost). If you have lots of money, could it not be better used improving what you have ? Don't think of it as "rent", think of it as your contribution...

If it is an issue of control, well, you only own what you can protect, and if you split resources will you be able to better protect the building you are in ?

I am a big big fan of protecting old buildings. I manage two and have helped a lot of others. (In COVID-19, the cash reserves both had "in case the roof blows off" etc etc etc suddenly seem like the best idea ever. I had to convince people to build that cash reserve, after essential repairs and by delaying the "nice to haves".)

Respectfully, it looks like you've had a thought bubble...

But that's good, because you can ask yourself why you had it, what is important and on what standards do you judge that... and a great question is
"What will leave your Grandson if he chooses to become a Freemason and how can that legacy be as sustainable as possible?"
The first answer of what you should be your warrant (and operating and healthy lodge and ultimately that will be around culture, not a building).

But one thing I know.. a lodge should never run a building in its lodge meetings. A separate legal entity should (or at least separate committee) and building matters should not enter the lodge room. That's for Freemasonry.

As I said, you only own what you can protect and cash is king, and the only way you keep in the cash is a sustainable plan over decades and decades..
To try to turn you building into an asset not a liability.
That's they key.
I took over managing two "albatrosses" just months from cash insolvency some years ago. They will not trade for 7 to 10 months through COVID-19. They will still have more than a 2 years expenses in the bank after COVID. It can be done.

But the first question is what is the goal and why ?
For us, it was keep our building and turn it from a "albatross" "millstone" liability and all the other words you hear about buildings to an asset. And that asset is not just about it's value or income, it is about it's utility to the lodges that meet there, because the utility now and beyond to the lodges is the whole point of owning a Masonic Building. There is no other.

And sorry if we did not answer your actual question.
The answer is bequests, grants, sponsorships, JVs, donations, indentures, debentures, mortgages, shares, fundraising and investments. All used within a sustainable business plan with clear agreed goals.

CCM1836TX

We had to sell our lodge building and started to rent from another lodge in our district. The only bad thing about renting from another lodge is that people in that town usually join that lodge and not yours. We ran into this issue along with not being able to recoup the money needed to get a new building. We are currently in the process of merging with said lodge that we are renting from. They gain our membership and money instead of the money going back to Grand Lodge. If you can get your own building that’s great. It can be done but the Brothers in your lodge have to want to. And as many of you know it’s sometimes tough to find those specific Brothers that want to actually work.