My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chain collar

Tylerl90

Forgive me if I am ignorant of something that should be obvious, as I’m still new to Masonry.

As far as blue lodge officers collars go (in the United States), I have always been jealous of how good the collars look on our British Brothers. I noticed there’s some sort of “bow” that secures the collar at a certain point near the edge of your shoulders. I’m not referring to the retainer chain in the back.

Where can I find these? And if I can find them, are they even proper for wear?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

JanneProeliator

Forgive me if I am ignorant of something that should be obvious, as I’m still new to Masonry.

As far as blue lodge officers collars go (in the United States), I have always been jealous of how good the collars look on our British Brothers. I noticed there’s some sort of “bow” that secures the collar at a certain point near the edge of your shoulders. I’m not referring to the retainer chain in the back.

COllars are worn by officers and the lodge will provide you one when you are apinted as an officer. Don't go buying your own.

Elexir

There could also be diffrent reasons for why collars look the way they do. And why theres a diffrence.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
To my knowledge the bow is decorative and perhaps holds the chain to the collar, but not to the wearer.
Collars and chains are very specific to rank in UGLE. There are multiple pages in the Book of Constitutions describing each.

Scoops

To my knowledge the bow is decorative and perhaps holds the chain to the collar, but not to the wearer.
Collars and chains are very specific to rank in UGLE. There are multiple pages in the Book of Constitutions describing each.

Indeed, as Brother JC mentions, the wearing of chains and collars is governed by rules 254-264 of our Book of Constitutions. See this link: https://www.ugle.org.uk/about-us/book-of-constitutions

The chains worn by present Grand Officers and Deputy/Assistant Provincial* Grand Masters are, I believe, the property of the Grand Lodge/Provincial* Grand Lodge. The collars worn by Officers of Private Lodges are generally owned by the lodge. All other collars worn by PMs, Officers of Provincial* Grand Lodge and Officers of Grand Lodge Present and Past are owned by the Brother concerned.

The Jewels suspended from the chains/collars are, for present officers, also generally owned by Grand Lodge/Provincial* Grand Lodge. Past officers will own their own jewel.

*Also Metropolitan and District - the organisation of UGLE is complicated...

Bloke

Premium Member

Thanks the others said.. but also, the bows are decorative, the collars are pinned using a safety pin..