My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Church Objection?

nfasson

Has anyone had their church make an issue of your being a Freemason? I've been reading through some Presbyterian Church doctrine and it's saying that Freemasonry is not only a religion, but incompatible with the Christian faith! How is there a conflict? Masonry is supposed to be areligious and apolitical, but they cite "evidence" that Freemasons consider the rituals and oaths religious in nature, thereby conflicting with Christianity.

This is disturbing to me, not only because I'm interested in pursuing Freemasonry but I also don't want to create friction with my family and the church! I find it hard to believe that Freemasons consider Masonry a religion in and of itself. And here I thought anti-masonry only dwelled in the more radical elements of the Christian faith.

Has anyone had to defend their membership with their church? Success/failure? What did you end up doing? Any info/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Freemason Connect HD

rpbrown

Premium Member
Not my church but one of the associate pastors read the internet and swore we were devil worshipers and started a big tado about it. Funny thing, the other associate pastor as well as the senior pastors son are both members of my lodge.

FlBrother324

Has anyone had their church make an issue of your being a Freemason? I've been reading through some Presbyterian Church doctrine and it's saying that Freemasonry is not only a religion, but incompatible with the Christian faith! How is there a conflict? Masonry is supposed to be areligious and apolitical, but they cite "evidence" that Freemasons consider the rituals and oaths religious in nature, thereby conflicting with Christianity.

This is disturbing to me, not only because I'm interested in pursuing Freemasonry but I also don't want to create friction with my family and the church! I find it hard to believe that Freemasons consider Masonry a religion in and of itself. And here I thought anti-masonry only dwelled in the more radical elements of the Christian faith.

Has anyone had to defend their membership with their church? Success/failure? What did you end up doing? Any info/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Freemason Connect HD

I am Catholic, if you want to see some more comments about the Fraternity and churches/religion go to the thread about the Catholic church excommunicates members you will see how some of us have decided to handle the situation.

Yours, in His service.

Do what you think is best, but follow your heart.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
They help dispel the myths. They are active members of the community, not known for hating anything, much less members of their own faith.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
I was forced from my church for being a Mason. Told I had to choose. I don't do well with ultimatums. I learned over time, the church does have much to fear from Freemasonry. The Craft creates thinkers, free men of free mind and conscious. These men in turn will question rigorism, fundamentalism and dogmatic thinking. Very dangerous to a church. Now, please splash with water, drink a cup of wine and do everything we say and get salvation. You are not smart enough to read the book in front of you and understand it. Only the man in the white robe can do this for you........

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I would not tell my church that I'm a mason.

Also, we're supposed to hold God above all so does that mean we yield to freemasonry if our church tells us to or do we then seek god in our own way, leaving the church and remaining a freemason?

rpbrown

Premium Member
I would not tell my church that I'm a mason.

Also, we're supposed to hold God above all so does that mean we yield to freemasonry if our church tells us to or do we then seek god in our own way, leaving the church and remaining a freemason?

There is a difference in the church telling you you can't be a mason and God telling you that you can't. The church is run by men. These men have their own opinions, right or wrong but thats what makes them men. Its just like I left a church because they would not let me legally carry my firearm inside. Its their decision and that was mine.
The fact is, I follow Gods word. If a man has a problem with that, then it's his problem, not mine.

brothermongelli

Brethren,

Submitted for your consideration - a link to my article on Catholicism and our Craft. I cannot count how many times I've witnessed one Brother give erroneous information to another concerning the position of the Catholic Church on Freemasonry. In some cases, the misinformation was given with the knowledge that it was such - that doesn't sit well with me.

At any rate, here it is:

http://www.anthonymongelli.com/upload/Catholicics%20and%20The%20Craft.pdf

Jericho2013

Premium Member
There are several fellow masons at my baptist church and the church doesn't have a problem with us at all. My in-laws are Pentecostal and they do believe that masonry is evil. However when I visit there they treat me like I belong and are very courteous. My in-laws just don't ever bring it up and we are very close. Now trying to get my mother-in-law to come to a masonic fundraiser or open meeting is another story lol.

Freemason Connect HD

Brian Chaytor

Equality, Fraternity and Liberty integrate the immovable foundation which Freemasonry rests on. Freemasons are free thinkers by nature. To live and let live is a pretty good recipe for a harmonious and happy life. No dogma, no imposition from any man made organization should cause us to waver in our resolve to do "what it's right because it's the right thing to do." If certain groups choose to be intolerant, this is their prerogative. Remember that as Masons we are to be tolerant even of intolerance

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freemason Connect HD mobile app

Rufus

I was forced from my church for being a Mason. Told I had to choose. I don't do well with ultimatums. I learned over time, the church does have much to fear from Freemasonry. The Craft creates thinkers, free men of free mind and conscious. These men in turn will question rigorism, fundamentalism and dogmatic thinking. Very dangerous to a church. Now, please splash with water, drink a cup of wine and do everything we say and get salvation. You are not smart enough to read the book in front of you and understand it. Only the man in the white robe can do this for you........

I'm very sorry for the grammatical errors.

This is a very sad situation.
But, the Church is not God.
The Church is an organization created by people . People who profess their faith.
God has a place there, where there is access to it in your heart, in your soul.
He's in your heart.
And no one has the right to be a mediator between you and God.
The Church does not agree with the this arguments.

I'm not against the church, I am against blind fanaticism and dogmatism.

rmcgehee

We had an EA whose family told him that Freemasons slayed children on our alters during our Degrees.
I told him that I had been a Mason over 30 years and never seen that.

Rufus

We had an EA whose family told him that Freemasons slayed children on our alters during our Degrees.
I told him that I had been a Mason over 30 years and never seen that.
Very often, people's fears about Freemasonry are based on not knowing or incorrect information.
Often exaggerations.
Leo Taxil, 140 years ago, wrote his anti-Masonic pamphlets, but people believe today, that he wrote the truth.
It's funny and sad, but people believe and want to believe in nonsense.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Leo Taxil, 140 years ago, wrote his anti-Masonic pamphlets, but people believe today, that he wrote the truth.
He even stood up in front of a crowd of paying customers and admitted it was all a fraud and he had ripped them off, yet people still quote him today.