My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clandestine masonry

martin

Oh there is brother here in Woodbridge there is a group of old Italian guys they call there self mason they r recognize by some GL in south Italy but not from us , Oslo in Quebec is lodges recognize from a GL in France but again not recognize from the grand lodge of Canada

widows son

Premium Member
Any grand lodge that doesn't have a charter from the UGLE isn't recognized and deemed irregular. I also learned that irregular and clandestine lodges are wholly out for profit and make a brother pay through each degree.

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
Brothers, you can refer to the Phylaxis Society's Research website for more LIGHT on Clandestine, Bogus, and Irregular Masonry in the Black Community here in America. www.phylaxis.org It has quite a few links to view, and you can enlighten yourself on what we as Prince Hall Affiliated, (PHA) Free and Accepted Masons are faced with rather frequently.............It's an epidemic that can only be controlled with proper education regarding recognition and affiliation for Brothers, as well as profanes and petitioners to our Mainstream and PHA Lodges...................

Bro Vincent C Jones, Lodge Chaplain, Bayou City Lodge #228
Prince Hall Affiliation, Free and Accepted Masonry, Houston, Texas
Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas, Est 1878

bupton52

Premium Member
Any grand lodge that doesn't have a charter from the UGLE isn't recognized and deemed irregular. I also learned that irregular and clandestine lodges are wholly out for profit and make a brother pay through each degree.

Actually, a GL doesn't have a charter. Lodges would have to be chartered from one of the mother GLs and form the GL. Every Regular GL has lineage this way. Recognition works differently. There are regular GLs in the US that don't recognize each other, but that does not make them irregular. It can get complicated, kind of, but once you learn what the rules are, it becomes easy to spot a clandestine organization from a mile away.

CajunTinMan

Now that's funny right there. People are always trying to figure out the inner workings of Masonry while we are busy trying to figure out our own inner workings. Lol

Last edited:

widows son

Premium Member
I'm still a bit confused. I'm still a bit new to the "politics" of masonry as I've only been a member for less than a year. So correct me if I'm wrong. UGLE gives warrants for GLs and GLs give charters for Lodges?

bstew12

JustinScott- What I do when the brothers in the dark are pretending or wanting to be tried ( they really don't know) I start asking them simple questions! What lodge are you from? What district are you from? What jurisdiction are you from? These type of questions are easy and effortless! What these brothers in the dark and light don't realize is, these question are the most important questions to ask! If they get that far then look at the rest of it as a display of pure beauty of the craft! Travel Light!

Celestial Lodge #231 Dallas, Tx
MWPHGL of Tx

Last edited:

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I'm still a bit confused. I'm still a bit new to the "politics" of masonry as I've only been a member for less than a year. So correct me if I'm wrong. UGLE gives warrants for GLs and GLs give charters for Lodges?

It's not that top-down authoritarian. UGLE has never warranted the Grand Lodges of Ireland or Scotland, for example. Nobody has. Their lineage makes them regular. UGLE did not warrant the Grand Lodges of the several states of the USA, at least not as Grand Lodges of the various states. The Grand Lodge of Texas has no warrant from UGLE and does not need one. Our lineage shows our regularity. For a time, UGLE refused to recognize any of them on the grounds that they represented men in rebellion against the Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Freemasonry is not a top-down authoritarian body. It's a herd of cats.

widows son

Premium Member
Well I can see why. There are numerous carvings at roslyn that appear to depict the first degree, and there are even two pillar that stand in the chapel. And according to the Hiram key authors the lay out or floor plan is the same as a lodge. A little food for thought I guess.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Then why the need for recognition if GLs don't need a warrant from UGLE

While UGLE has not warranted all regular grand lodges, UGLE has maintained a status as a "hub" for Masonic communication. At one time, it was probably due to its central location in the capital of the world's largest empire. Now that the empire has collapsed and gone the way of the Archaeopteryx, UGLE still fulfills a hub function from tradition and gentleman's agreement, not top-down, legalistic authority.