My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting Young Freemasons

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Here is a video of a head down boogie. I think most folks would agree it raises the bar on badassery. There is nothing stopping us but fear and logistics.

[video=youtube;B_yv7IUzvlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_yv7IUzvlQ[/video]

If there were an accessible masonic group doin stuff like this, I think it would be meaningful for changing perceptions. And for the participants, I don't know that you'd find something in this lifetime that set the bar higher.

mitkin

I love all these ideas. This feedback is precisely the validation that I was looking for in order to pursue this further!!! Thanks Bretheren, but keep the feedback coming

Benton

Premium Member
Here is a video of a head down boogie. I think most folks would agree it raises the bar on badassery. There is nothing stopping us but fear and logistics.

[video=youtube;B_yv7IUzvlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_yv7IUzvlQ[/video]

If there were an accessible masonic group doin stuff like this, I think it would be meaningful for changing perceptions. And for the participants, I don't know that you'd find something in this lifetime that set the bar higher.

FYI for video watchers, some language in the video.

Also, why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Some things I still don't understand. :)

anthonywilson

This wouldn't be a bad to attract "younger" people to join the Lodge. For example, I'm the youngest (22) active Brother at my Lodge and the average age is maybe 65ish. There are a few of us in our 20s (maybe three or four), a few in their 30s, a couple in their 40s, some in their 50s, and the rest are 60+. This can be very intimidating for some people and maybe discourage membership. However, one thing people need to understand is that the Lodge isn't a social club (although there is a lot of socializing) and if you're wanting a place to meet a few times a month and hang out with your friends, got to the mall. But, it would be nice to have something to let the "younger" masons know that one saturday a month some Brothers around their age meet and have a BBQ.

G

grimeyxv

I need help becoming a mason ,im 19 ive been tryna join for a long time

anthonywilson

I need help becoming a mason ,im 19 ive been tryna join for a long time

Look in your local phone book or on the internet for the local/closest Masonic Lodge in your area. Call and and leave them a message with your contact infomation or you can go to the Lodge and see when they meet. Where are you located?

Masada357

Young Mason

Greetings brothers my name is brother Desmond i am 21 years of age .. I have recently been raised to the sublime degree of a master mason through my path I have witness a lot of rises and falls and now I'm here to continue to rise .. I enlighten my friends on the work and help them find their path .. I know a lot of people think that younger people are slackers but we ate not we are only lost souls stuck in an illusion lookin for a way out.. all I am saying my brothers is that we are the future .. Help us from now instead of waiting make us strong so that we may fin god before the devil does .. One thing I believe in y brothers is change .. Evolution ..take me as an example someone who was lost like most young people but found light by pulling myself out through a worthy brother .. Someone told me something the other day that we are all apart of god one mind one spirit that good is always over evil so let's take our light and aim it at the future .. Brothers travel light and peace n blessings to all

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member

First off Brother Hatley, it is really good to see you back in the forums! I have missed your contributions here. And second, HOLY CRAP! hahha That video was pretty darn intense! I have done and participated in some pretty dangerous stuff that figured I for sure wasn't going to walk away from (ha! and while listening to Tool as well...lol), but that video was just insane! Even though I have wanted to try skydiving, I haven't (and still don't) had this huge urge to try it yet. But, I tell you what. As soon as I can figure out the time and logistics of it, I'm coming down to do it, and only going up if you are there too...lol I'll have a friend lead me once more :)

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
First off Brother Hatley, it is really good to see you back in the forums! I have missed your contributions here. And second, HOLY CRAP! hahha That video was pretty darn intense! I have done and participated in some pretty dangerous stuff that figured I for sure wasn't going to walk away from (ha! and while listening to Tool as well...lol), but that video was just insane! Even though I have wanted to try skydiving, I haven't (and still don't) had this huge urge to try it yet. But, I tell you what. As soon as I can figure out the time and logistics of it, I'm coming down to do it, and only going up if you are there too...lol I'll have a friend lead me once more :)

Hey Bro, I missed this response - I blame multitasking at all times Im at the computer hehehe

I'd be *most* pleased to go jumpin wicha, Im happy to drive up your way for it too. I've got a real passion for goin skydivin with other masons. Add in the veteran element...you wanna talk about bonds, like a convergence. Just awesome.

I'm not much of a sales guy, but I can tell you, for well and true - there is nothing, nothing like skydiving. And having taken fellas skydiving before, and havin went up on the plane with them on their first jump - oh its just plain rad, no way around it. Forever, for your whole lives, you've got that between you.

I really wanna drag the ossifers of my lodge to go, I think I'm getting close on a couple of them. Four or five of us together would be somethin special.

Troublemakin!!

G

grimeyxv

i need help becoming a mason ,im 19 ive been tryna join for a long time

look in your local phone book or on the internet for the local/closest masonic lodge in your area. Call and and leave them a message with your contact infomation or you can go to the lodge and see when they meet. Where are you located?
. Im in new york long island hempstead i wordship satan im hispanic .

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
. Im in new york long island hempstead i wordship satan im hispanic .

Thanks for making my stuff about skydiving look practically sensible by comparison :thumbup:

But hey, any friend of El Diablo.....the secret referral code is "cowan", hand them that callin card at your local lodge and they'll fix you up.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Hey Bro, I missed this response - I blame multitasking at all times Im at the computer hehehe

I'd be *most* pleased to go jumpin wicha, Im happy to drive up your way for it too. I've got a real passion for goin skydivin with other masons. Add in the veteran element...you wanna talk about bonds, like a convergence. Just awesome.

I'm not much of a sales guy, but I can tell you, for well and true - there is nothing, nothing like skydiving. And having taken fellas skydiving before, and havin went up on the plane with them on their first jump - oh its just plain rad, no way around it. Forever, for your whole lives, you've got that between you.

I really wanna drag the ossifers of my lodge to go, I think I'm getting close on a couple of them. Four or five of us together would be somethin special.

Troublemakin!!

Hey, now worries about missing the response. Love the new avatar by the way!...lol Though, I was 4th Brigade (Longknife)!

There is a couple of places not too far from here that do all that skydiving stuff. I have really wanted to check out a place that is a little outside of Ft. Worth called Skydive 35 or something like that. I used to see it each time I would go up and see my son. But heck, when I get things situated, I'd even come down there to your neck of the woods to go. A good buddy of mine that I grew up with and is now an EA (and also served in the Army) has been talking to me about going skydiving. He has never been, and like me has never had too big of an interest in jumping out of the plane lol. But yea, we for sure need to go, Bro.

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
Ok, here is my take on this subject. I believe that the conceptual idea or premise behind the "Connecting Young Freemasons" is a good start. Every great thing starts with an idea so keep up that motivation and zeal. Here is some of my observations and correct me if I'm wrong where I think the desire to have something like this comes from.

My observation: In many Lodges there is a large age gap between the younger and older brethren. The younger brethren are sometimes very motivated or excited to contribute their ideas and want to help make their Lodge more active in the scheme of things. The older brethren sometimes are less receptive to this. There is a great article in this forum somewhere titled, "We Didn't Do That In My Year"(Forgive me if misquoted) that really addresses some of what I believe is the underlying problem with retention of younger brothers. When I read the article, I printed 20+ copies and brought them to lodge for others to read. I got a lot of questions about it but most enjoyed seeing what they had long thought to be part of the disconnection between the ages of the brethren.

We need the older experience and wisdom of the older brethren. Bro. Blake is right, including all Masons is the best way to bridge the gap, so to speak. Persistence pays off. When my lodge started having "Date Night", where brothers and their significant others would all meet somewhere for dinner and then again at another location for drinks and good conversation afterwards, the first few times it was mostly the younger brothers who attended. Now, we have many of the older brothers attending as well.

Try coming up with activities that include all Masons, rather than just a specific demographic. Send out notification to the brothers in your area so that other lodge brethren may attend. We just added a "Poker Night" to our calendar. Just something for fun that was on a different night than Degrees or study. Having fun activities, in my opinion, is one way to bring together brothers and keep them active and interested.

lol@myself....I may have gotten way off tack here. I swear I had a point I was trying to convey. I'll leave it at that. Hope this helps and good topic brother.

S&F
Kyle
Spring Lodge #1174

Last edited:

Bloke

Premium Member
I'd love to set up a quarterly get together in my city - Melbourne, Australia,....

It's valuable. Lodge of Evolution 931 was set up as a "youth lodge"... and it meets in Melbourne. I can easily get about 30 guys together under 45. I'm a pm of 931, 43 years old and feel like one of the "oldies" in that lodge.

Try the Master Masons group or vistiting lodges 723 or 931 uglv.

PM me your email...