My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the oaths once specify the duty of "preferment"?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I think the real question here is was it in the Obligation that YOU took? If it wasn't it is irrelevant to you.

PS it wasn't in mine.

PPS Robinson had faulty sources for his Ritual as he claims that in one phase we are made to be a "Brother to a Pirate"! A phrase that I have yet to uncover anywhere other than in "BiB".
YAAARRRRR!!!!!!! mugshot_pirate.JPG

MarkR

Premium Member
PPS Robinson had faulty sources for his Ritual as he claims that in one phase we are made to be a "Brother to a Pirate"! A phrase that I have yet to uncover anywhere other than in "BiB".
"Brother to pirates and corsairs" is what I remember him saying. I wondered where he found that, because it's certainly nowhere in Minnesota ritual.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Per Jason Mitchell in 2015
For good measure, I just went back through the kindle edition of Born in Blood (ease of search). Robinson provides no source for the statement other than it's in the MM ritual. It is also worth noting he has no references for those keywords in the index at the end of the book either. And in my collection of ritual regular and otherwise I can find no such reference amongst the Craft or Hauts Grads. Back in 2013 I was unable to find the source, and took to the old Masonic Light Yahoo Group. The archives and answers there (largely from brother Clay Anderson) essentially come down to this: there is no ritual source available, and Robinson when pressed couldn't remember where it got it.

Long story short, as Brother Dafoe once said "the simple fact remains that there is not sufficient evidence to support the idea that the Templars became Freemasons and plenty of evidence to show that they did not" .

I highly recommend Dafoe's The Compasses and the Cross to dispel the Masonic-KT mythology.
Last edited: Nov 5, 2015

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
For good measure, I just went back through the kindle edition of Born in Blood (ease of search). Robinson provides no source for the statement other than it's in the MM ritual. It is also worth noting he has no references for those keywords in the index at the end of the book either. And in my collection of ritual regular and otherwise I can find no such reference amongst the Craft or Hauts Grads. Back in 2013 I was unable to find the source, and took to the old Masonic Light Yahoo Group. The archives and answers there (largely from brother Clay Anderson) essentially come down to this: there is no ritual source available, and Robinson when pressed couldn't remember where it got it.
I, too, have wondered about this ever since I read Born In Blood. Thank you for the info Brother Glen.