My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diversity in the Nomination of Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Actors and actresses get paid millions of dollars to do little and less. I've never watched nor cared about any awards but I'm sure there are flaws as with everything. The true shame is actors get paid more than Soldiers and Marines!
Couldn't agree more. I feel the same way about politicians also. The working man has always been paid less.

Randy81

Premium Member
Couldn't agree more. I feel the same way about politicians also. The working man has always been paid less.
Lol, I know right! I'm not trying to take away from the issue as I am quite sure it is indeed unfair but they're still millionaires! In my book, that's a win.

AndreAshlar

The bulk of these late responses serve as window dressing that completely overlooks the issue. One more place where inequality has run amok.

Randy81

Premium Member
The bulk of these late responses serve as window dressing that completely overlooks the issue. One more place where inequality has run amok.
I'm Hispanic.... Were there any Latin nominees? I highly doubt it! Nor will we be getting anything on any BET awards either. I'm overlooking nothing. I just stated that I find it hard for an actor or actress to complain when they get so much to do so very little.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member

I don't get it... How has inequality run amuck. Opinions are opinions we aren't segregating or oppressing anyone by disagreeing or agreeing. It's called a discussion. Why does it need to be more than that?

AndreAshlar

I have a question and please no one take this the wrong way but have any Native Americans, Hispanics, Whites, Asians or otherwise ever been nominated for a BET award? If so pray tell.
I'm glad you asked. Despite BET being created due to the lack of programming for Black Americans, non-blacks are not "blacked out" of being nominated and even winning at the BET Awards on a regular basis. Let's look at 2015:
  • Mark Ronson, a white man, was nominated for the Centric Award
  • Sam Smith, a white man, was nominated for the Centric Award
  • Mark Ronson was nominated for the Best Collaboration Award
  • Iggy Azalea, a white woman, was nominated for the Best Female Hip Hop Artist Award
  • Ed Burke and Todd Tourso were nominate for the Video Director of the Year Award. THEY WON.
  • Tinashe, whose maternal lineage is Norwegian, Danish and Irish, was nominated for Best New Artist.
  • Sam Smith was nominated for Best New Artist. HE WON.
Let's go back another year to 2014...
  • Justin Timberlake, a white man, was nominated for Best R&B/Pop Artist
  • Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, both white men, were nominated for Best Group
  • Daft Punk, a duo of white men, were nominated for Best Group
  • Justin Timberlake was nominated for Best Collaboration
  • Robin Thicke, a white man, was nominated for Best Collaboration. HE WON
  • Iggy Azalea was nominated for Best Female Hip Hop Artist
  • Colin Tilley, a white man, was nominated for Video Director of the Year
  • Ariana Grande, a white woman, was nominated for Best New Artist
There is no excuse for what continues to go on with the Oscars. Some have eyes but simply refuse to see. In a fraternity of men who believe in the brotherhood of men under the fatherhood of God, that's sad...

AndreAshlar

I'm Hispanic.... Were there any Latin nominees? I highly doubt it! Nor will we be getting anything on any BET awards either.

The nominees list last year was indeed diverse... It included:

Majid Jordan - Bahrainian
Jhene' Aiko - Japanese, Jewish, Native American
Carmelo Anthony - Puerto Rican
Blake Griffin - Haitian
Rita Ora - Albanian

This list is shorter than previous years but coupled with all of the white nominees and winners, it's ions more diverse than what we see at the Oscars...

AndreAshlar

I don't get it... How has inequality run amuck. Opinions are opinions we aren't segregating or oppressing anyone by disagreeing or agreeing. It's called a discussion. Why does it need to be more than that?
Please allow me to clarify. I wasn't referencing the opinions on this board when I stated that it's another example of inequality running amok. I was actually referencing the Oscars...

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
Wow that is a long list and certainly does show a major amount of progress on eliminating racial divisions. Pardon my ignorance on the subject since I am not a big follower of the entertainment industry. It is sad when there is racial imbalance in any industry. Thanks for taking the time to write that list as it does open my eyes as to BET and there racial progression as an organization. I think my major beef with the media coverage this issue has gotten is that it has made it a black and white issue when there are so many more heritages and cultures in our Nation that are not represented. It seems these issues are always Black vs. White or vice versa. What about the rest of us? Perhaps if the argument was a lack of general diversity versus a lack of nominations of a particular group Ide be less inclined to get upset about it, although another issue I have as stated in my original post is the importance we put on Hollywood as opposed to the many other injustices happening around the world. Thanks for the post Ashlar.

Randy81

Premium Member
This list is shorter than previous years but coupled with all of the white nominees and winners, it's ions more diverse than what we see at the Oscars...
Brother Andre, I was in no way saying that there isn't racism involved. There absolutely 100% is! I've never watched an Oscar or Grammy award show but I doubt it's much different than most things. I would assume if Denzel Washington has never won one there is something wrong for sure.

AndreAshlar

I think my major beef with the media coverage this issue has gotten is that it has made it a black and white issue...
The media can always conveniently highlight the black/white angle because of the deep, long, complex, history shared in America among the two groups.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
The media can always conveniently highlight the black/white angle because of the deep, long, complex, history shared in America among the two groups.
Sad but so very true. They play that angle and keep the drama going for the sake of ratings. It's pretty damned sickening if you ask me.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
2015 - 20 acting nominations. 20 white nominees.
2016 - 20 acting nominations. 20 white nominees.

Part of the problem is that The Academy is an honor society, in which industry experience is the primary consideration to join. The Academy is 94% white, 77% male and overwhelmingly old school. Chronologically and in their thinking. Middle age to elderly white males with longevity in Hollywood make the decisions. Study the history of racism in Hollywood to gain further insight into the mind of the typical Academy voter. It's not tough to see unless your eyes are wide shut.
My point, which you conveniently choose to ignore, is that the same group you claim to be racist simply because they haven't nominated any blacks in the past 2 years not only have nominated but have awarded Oscars to blacks in the years immediately preceding. This tells those of us with no ax to grind that it is quite possibly and most probably the case that, rather than being biased against blacks, they just decided that in the past 2 years, the performances of those who were nominated were superior to those who were not.

Bloke

Premium Member
You'd have to survey them over time, 1980 or 1990 would be a good starting point, then look at potential winners who were not nominated.

AndreAshlar

My point, which you conveniently choose to ignore, is that the same group you claim to be racist simply because they haven't nominated any blacks in the past 2 years ...

Your point has been conveniently addressed. You mention that I claim that the Academy is racist simply because they've not nominated any blacks in the past 2 years. You misquote me. The history of the Academy and their selection of nominees and winners speaks for itself.

AndreAshlar

This tells those of us with no ax to grind...

You're an upright man who seeks freedom, justice and equality for ALL people. ALL the time... as I am. Riddle me this: do you think that's a reality or an ideal that we still must achieve? After providing that answer my brother, please define what it means to have "an ax to grind".

Status
Not open for further replies.