My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do any of you fancy Shakespear?

esotez

Hello gentlemen,
There is a monologue that is said by Hamlet in Shakespear's Hamlet that I had to memorize by heart in highschool.
To me, it still has tremendous reference to men in general. Hope you guys enjoy.

What a peice of work is a man,
How noble in reason, how infinite in faculties,
In form and moving, how express and admirable,
In action how like and angel, in apprehension how like a God.
The beauty of the world, the paragon of animals.
And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?
Man delights not me.

(Reality is like a rainbow, no two people see the same one.) That may be true, but everyone sees the same colors.

esotez

I might have posted this in the wrong section. Sorry.

(Reality is like a rainbow, no two people see the same one.) That may be true, but everyone sees the same colors.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I remember that one. It also appears in the musical "Hair":

I have of late, but wherefore, I know not, lost all my mirth.
Forgone all custom of exercises, and indeed, it goes so heavily
With my disposition that this goodly frame,
The earth, seems to me a sterile promontory.
This most excellent canopy, the air--look you,
This brave o'erhanging firmament,
This majestical roof fretted with golden fire,
Why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapors.

I think Hamlet was being sarcastic when he spoke of the grandeur of humanity.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I always pray that my candidates have read Shakespeare, or at least been exposed. Otherwise, it's doubly difficult to overcome both Middle English and Tex-ah-gun lingo when teaching them their esoteric work. Hey, word is, though the timeline does not match up, that Shakespeare was involved in the UGLE writings. More likely Ben Johnson ... who was a contemporary of Anderson.

widows son

Premium Member
From what I understand, Francis Bacon and Shakespeare were fellows. Both were influential during the Enlightenment. I've also read that at one point in time it was thought that try we're same person and that Shakespeare was a pseudo name for Bacon.

esotez

I remember that one. It also appears in the musical "Hair":

I have of late, but wherefore, I know not, lost all my mirth.
Forgone all custom of exercises, and indeed, it goes so heavily
With my disposition that this goodly frame,
The earth, seems to me a sterile promontory.
This most excellent canopy, the air--look you,
This brave o'erhanging firmament,
This majestical roof fretted with golden fire,
Why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapors.

I think Hamlet was being sarcastic when he spoke of the grandeur of humanity.

I agree with you. At that point Hamlet was trying his friends who both happen to be spying on him for his uncle, clever Hamlet knew at the time of this speach. And if I go back, he also made a statement after this speach that he not only threw his fellow men under the bus, but included women with a sense of humor. -Man delights not me, (pointing at his friends) nor woman too, of that matter.

jwhoff

Premium Member
From what I understand, Francis Bacon and Shakespeare were fellows. Both were influential during the Enlightenment. I've also read that at one point in time it was thought that try we're same person and that Shakespeare was a pseudo name for Bacon.[/QUOTE

I've heard of that too. It has more legs than Shakespeare and Anderson. Many more legs.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
One chapter of "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" is dedicated to that lovely conspiracy (and more). In the book there is an overlay portrait of the two gentlemen.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I recall an English Professor of English once saying that all these conspiracy theories about Shakespeare actually being the pseudonym for someone much more socially elevated are all the product of mediocre snobs who can't stand the idea that a clever grammar school boy could have produced such wonderful work.

Rufus

I recall an English Professor of English once saying that all these conspiracy theories about Shakespeare actually being the pseudonym for someone much more socially elevated are all the product of mediocre snobs who can't stand the idea that a clever grammar school boy could have produced such wonderful work.

[h=1]"Anonymous"[/h]Who watched this movie?
MV5BMjAxOTA5MTMxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI4MzU0NQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg